New out of the box

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
ethang

Re: New out of the box

Post by ethang »

That is pretty good looking wood for out of the box. Congrats.
Plastic has no soul...
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

Here is my first report for this 45...in a nut shell im giving her 4 3/4 gold stars out of five. Here is the details. I have looked her over with a critical eye. With the exception of 3 burrs on the bolt, i cant find anywhere thats going to take a lot of "slicking" to make it smooth. I removed the lifter as well and its perfect. Inside the receiver is smooth, as a matter of fact the bolt has zero machine/chatter marks. The lower tang almost fell off on its own which i was not use too. All screws for disassembly removed smoothly, no stress anywhere. Trigger pull feels just right for me. Ill play with the ejector spring later but i will go ahead and make a new follower for it. And hey, the grub screw is perfect too, what do ya know! Ill get the furniture going soon too, very anxious to shoot this one, dies came in today, so the learning curve begins.
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

NavyDoc76-80 wrote:Here is my first report for this 45...in a nut shell im giving her 4 3/4 gold stars out of five. Here is the details. I have looked her over with a critical eye. With the exception of 3 burrs on the bolt, i cant find anywhere thats going to take a lot of "slicking" to make it smooth. I removed the lifter as well and its perfect. Inside the receiver is smooth, as a matter of fact the bolt has zero machine/chatter marks. The lower tang almost fell off on its own which i was not use too. All screws for disassembly removed smoothly, no stress anywhere. Trigger pull feels just right for me. Ill play with the ejector spring later but i will go ahead and make a new follower for it. And hey, the grub screw is perfect too, what do ya know! Ill get the furniture going soon too, very anxious to shoot this one, dies came in today, so the learning curve begins.
Sounds like a great gun. As to the learning curve the 45 Colt is just plain fun :D .

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

Thanks Ohio. Just finished my first round of smoothing out some rough edges. Happy to say i had zero loading gate issues.,made up nine dummy rounds and pushing the bullet all the way in before the next on all rounds, over and over again. No mag spring trim needed. Now heres one for the books. No need to replace the ejector spring, they practicly drop at my feet now.,now the ejector did need a major face lift to smoothly enter the bolt, but an easy fix. Had zero loading issues after i smoothed out the edges of those pesky little channels at the beginning of barrel where the bolt mates too. Couldnt find anything laying around to make a new follower and dont want to spend the 30 bucks right now for a metal one (or 20 for that matter), so the plastic one will have to do for now. I posted a question in handloading about using mag primers, any insight is appreciated.
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
Jaybm
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Jaybm »

Doc I must admit you're just loving a sore shoulder. First the .44
and now a .45 ! Now that is a FINE looking rifle right out of the box !
Sounds like it's coming along nicely. Enjoy ... Jim

Hmm, do we get another "bullet" at 500 posts ?
Gun Control Means Hitting The Target +guns
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Jaybm wrote:Hmm, do we get another "bullet" at 500 posts ?
Yeap
Michael
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

Jaybm wrote:Doc I must admit you're just loving a sore shoulder. First the .44
and now a .45 ! Now that is a FINE looking rifle right out of the box !
Sounds like it's coming along nicely. Enjoy ... Jim

Thanks Jim, well im not a total glutten for punishment, all indications show less recoil out of the 45 vs the 44, but ill let you know :lol: maybe :lol:
Dave M
--//--
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

Doc, that's one good looking specimen. Now you're tempting me too on the 45LC .... but I keep telling myself that I don't need to stock components for another caliber.

Looking forward to your experiences with the 45LC loading as well as how the gun performs.

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Pretty sweet.

I'm looking for another .357 to avoid the caliber expansion thing but I've just agreed to buy a buddy's .40 S&W which is a caliber I don't own IF another coworker doesn't snap it up first.