Biggest baddest bullets for the Rio?

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Biggest baddest bullets for the Rio?

Post by Arktikos »

Ranch Dog, I have some BTB 525 PD's if you want I could send you a few.. Let me know...

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Arktikos wrote:Ranch Dog, I have some BTB 525 PD's if you want I could send you a few.. Let me know...

Yes, please! Just a couple in a padded envelope should work. PM sent.
Michael
Jacko

Post by Jacko »

Quinc wrote:
Jacko wrote:I was messing around with what overall length and if my Rio Grande 45.70 would chamber 500 gr rnfp Proj the other Day. Using a Westcast 500 gr rnfp commercial hardcast I seated a proj long and eventually arrived at 2.575 where the Rifle would feed from the magazine and chamber.

These proj only have a .330" wide metplat and the nose of the proj begins to taper to the metplat from just after the crimp groove unlike other big Proj with wider metplats I've seen that seem to have less taper after the crimp groove.

I have been looking around and have not found an off the Shelf 450 gr - 500 gr Bullet Mould that I am confident would Chamber but am considering Mountain Moulds http://mountainmolds.com/ He has a unique feature where you can play with an online programme and design your own Proj. http://mountainmolds.com/

regards Jacko
Do you sell your cast bullets? I don't have the time or any desire to cast my own. Rolling my own takes enough time. And living in Komifornia where lead wheel weights are out lawed makes it hard to get cheap sources of lead. :(

Sorry Quinc, I live in Australia Mate, no use giving you a link to where I bought these Projectiles. I bought a packet of 250 to tide me over while I wait for a Bullet Mould. Too bad you don't have the time to Cast your own as it is very rewarding and you save a small fortune over buying Jacketed or commercial hardcast proj. You have far more commercial Cast proj available over there than I have here, I'm sure a local could steer you right.

May I ask why you are looking for a 500 grain projectile?? I had a similar idea myself and much research has shown that a 350 gr to 405 gr Proj is about optimum for the Rifle and suits my needs very well. I'm waiting impatiently today for a 405 gr Cast bullet Mould to arrive

regards Jacko
"To my deep mortification my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

-Charles Darwin
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

Got the envelope set out and will get them out to you tomorrow.

Quinc
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Quinc »

I was looking into the 458 Socom for a while but with the lack of loading info and brass I figure I will go with a 45-70 lever gun. I just want to shoot the biggest bullets possible for fun. See what kind of damage they do to steel plates and buckets full of water etc. :)
"Everyone has a plan tell they get punched in the face." -Mike Tyson
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Quinc wrote:I was looking into the 458 Socom for a while but with the lack of loading info and brass I figure I will go with a 45-70 lever gun. I just want to shoot the biggest bullets possible for fun. See what kind of damage they do to steel plates and buckets full of water etc. :)
Well, the lightweight RG is sure to rattle your cage.
Michael
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

Quinc wrote:I was looking into the 458 Socom for a while but with the lack of loading info and brass I figure I will go with a 45-70 lever gun. I just want to shoot the biggest bullets possible for fun. See what kind of damage they do to steel plates and buckets full of water etc. :)
Logs and trees are interesting too... It is amazing what a big heavy flat nosed hard cast bullet motoring along at moderate speed will pass through.. :!: Not a good home defense option in suburbia however.. Pretty scary to think of a bullet capable of traveling not only through an assailant but on through your walls and into the next home over, and :?:
Quinc
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Quinc »

Arktikos wrote:
Logs and trees are interesting too... It is amazing what a big heavy flat nosed hard cast bullet motoring along at moderate speed will pass through.. :!: Not a good home defense option in suburbia however.. Pretty scary to think of a bullet capable of traveling not only through an assailant but on through your walls and into the next home over, and :?:
Trees and logs sound like fun too! Just need to find a cheap source of bullets! I am going to be bummed if those .459 cast boolits don't feed/chamber. :(

My weapon of choice for home defense is a short handled 8lb sledge.
"Everyone has a plan tell they get punched in the face." -Mike Tyson
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

Quinc wrote:
Arktikos wrote:
Trees and logs sound like fun too! Just need to find a cheap source of bullets! I am going to be bummed if those .459 cast boolits don't feed/chamber. :(

My weapon of choice for home defense is a short handled 8lb sledge.
Well that could have some penetration too I supppose! :mrgreen:
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Arktikos wrote:Ranch Dog, I have some BTB 525 PD's if you want I could send you a few.
Arktitkos, the bullets arrived today and have them measured up. Should have a post with the info in a few minutes. Thanks for the quick send for to help a fellow member.
Michael