Well I found a 24" 45LC but?

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
xbr10dr

Well I found a 24" 45LC but?

Post by xbr10dr »

I was planning on getting a 24" 45LC Rossi but I stumbled upon a Winchester/Miroku 92, now I
can't decide, it's $700.00, in good shape, some nicks on the stocks, one small spot of surface
rust on left side of barrel, and butt stock is drilled with a sling swivel attached. Doesn't look like its been fired much the action shows very little wear. I'm not liking the rebounding hammer and tang safety.
Any opinions or advise? I have till next Wed. to decide.
Thanks, Rick
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Well I found a 24" 45LC but?

Post by akuser47 »

It is a jap chester if you think its gtg go for it. They have gotten better, as long as it looks and feels good. 700 is not bad for japchester as long as its worth it to you. I love the ones I've been seeing lately new they cost to much sounds like you might have some luck in that as long as it works.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

xbr10dr wrote:I was planning on getting a 24" 45LC Rossi but I stumbled upon a Winchester/Miroku 92, now I
can't decide, it's $700.00, in good shape, some nicks on the stocks, one small spot of surface
rust on left side of barrel, and butt stock is drilled with a sling swivel attached. Doesn't look like its been fired much the action shows very little wear. I'm not liking the rebounding hammer and tang safety.
Any opinions or advise? I have till next Wed. to decide.
Thanks, Rick
That's a cheap Miroku 92 !
The new ones sell for around $1200 + change out the door.
I don't have a Japchester 92 but I have the Miroku 1886 Extra Light in 45-70 that has both the tang safety and the rebounding hammer and it has turned into a very slick cycling & accurate rifle after breaking in the action by cycling it 500 or more times.
The Browning BL-92 is the same Miroku gun without the safety junk that was discontinued in the 1980s but finding one is is like looking for a 3-headed turkey. The guys who have em are keeping em.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
xbr10dr

Post by xbr10dr »

Thanks for the quick response, the nicks in the the stocks are just on the surface/finish no
dents or gouges, which is no big deal since I would refinish with TruOil anyway. I'm going to
research the fix for the rebounding hammer, from what I understand if you remove part of
the hammer strut no more rebounding hammer, but also no half cock and/or safety, got some
reading to do, maybe I can find some Browning parts. The Serial # is NT24XX haven't had
any luck so far on DOB. I'll probably get it, have a feeling if I don't I'll regret it later, done
that one before.
Thanks, Rick
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

xbr10dr wrote:Thanks for the quick response, the nicks in the the stocks are just on the surface/finish no
dents or gouges, which is no big deal since I would refinish with TruOil anyway. I'm going to
research the fix for the rebounding hammer, from what I understand if you remove part of
the hammer strut no more rebounding hammer, but also no half cock and/or safety, got some
reading to do, maybe I can find some Browning parts. The Serial # is NT24XX haven't had
any luck so far on DOB. I'll probably get it, have a feeling if I don't I'll regret it later, done
that one before.
Thanks, Rick
If the Miroku 92 is on the open market (internet, dealers rack) it could be gone at that price before you make the buy. Somebody else's $700 will fit in the sellers pocket as good as yours.
I missed a Browning BL-92 at a dealers last fall by procrastinating and by the time I got back to the shop 4 hours later the new owners tracks were already blowing away in the parking lot sand.
Turnbull & I believe Steve's Gunz (?) will revert the saftied up Japchesters to original JMB configuration but I hear it costs almost as much as the new rifle.
There are people who have bought parts for the Browning BL-92 (also make by Miroku) and used them to replace the safetied up parts in the newer rifles.
Might be an interesting project.
But I'm far, far too lazy to take it on.........sounds an awful lot like work. :D
I'm satisfied with my 2 Japchesters (Winchester model 94TE/450 Marlin & Winchester model 1886EL/45-70) exactly like they are.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I've got a line on a nice .357 92 Winchester but probably won't have the money before it is gone gone gone.
The only good thing is that since I've got the Rossi this would probably be a safe queen anyway.
xbr10dr

Post by xbr10dr »

Pricedo or anyone, do you know if these came from the factory with sling swivels? I'm searching
the internet but not finding much solid info.
The store it's at doesn't open back up till Wednesday @ 2pm, it is a one man operation, and he
keeps odd hours, I'll be there when he opens. If it's sold then it's not meant to be.

Rick
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

From their latest catalog listings they do not that could see come with mounted sling studs. I know in past winchester cutom shop could do anything ur wallet would allow. This may still be the case. If it was a special ordered rifle. These should have a work order or provinance per say stating what was done custom by ur order. My dad has a special order 62 it has a list of smiths inspection stamps so u know what was done and why its special. Alot of info hope it helps. As far as i know they dont.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

xbr10dr wrote:Pricedo or anyone, do you know if these came from the factory with sling swivels? I'm searching
the internet but not finding much solid info.
The store it's at doesn't open back up till Wednesday @ 2pm, it is a one man operation, and he
keeps odd hours, I'll be there when he opens. If it's sold then it's not meant to be.

Rick
I had to install my own sling swivels on my 2 Japchesters (I don't know about the Miroku 92s) but that's not quite as complicated as building an atomic bomb from scratch.

Pre-installed sling swivels ! ...... heck, whatdya want for $1400 ? :lol:

I think it'll still be there........some will balk at $700 for a levergun (probably cause they don't have $700) without realizing that's it's nice to take a gun out of the box without practically having to rebuild it before you can shoot it.

After you've owned a few Rossi rifles believe me when I say that it's refreshing to buy a gun and be at the range shooting it an hour after the purchase. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I haven't seen any sling swivels in any of the Winchester lever actions as I recall that weren't installed by the owner. The 5 or 6 Miroku guns I looked at yesterday had no sling swivels.