I'm Going to Ruin this Marlin 336 in 35 Remington

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: I'm Going to Ruin this Marlin 336 in 35 Remington

Post by klr »

I didn't have much time to work tonight and I'm working a 12-hour shift tomorrow so this will have to do you guys until the weekend. :lol:

pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

klr wrote: I cast a 200 gr flat point and I think 1850 fps will be enough to get the job done without excessive blast or recoil. Losing velocity and gaining noise are the downside to cutting the barrel, but I won't know how bad it is until I try.
Sounds like a great hog gun in the making that'll be quick pointing enough to drop a charging hog before it can unzip you from head to toe with its tusks.
That 200 grainer @ 1850 fps would be just the medicine.
One of those Quick-point sytle optical sights would work great.
I don't like the looks of them (makes the gun look like a ray gun from the old black & white Buck Rogers serial movies) but they're the fastest thing for target acquisition I've ever tried.
This gun will kill whatever is in front of it without beating up the shooter too badly. I've fired a few shoulder cannons lately and recoil IS definitely a factor in good shooting.
RD says the micro-groove barrels shoot hc lead bullets accurately but I suspect the onus is on the shooter to keep the barrel meticulously clean or after a few sessions he'll be shooting a smooth bore.

**The 336C front sight isn't a dovetail deal anyway......I've been working on too many 92s & 86s. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:Nice looking gun.......a watered down 1895 and superb for those who like a very light, compact brush gun.
The new Remlin recoil pads I believe are superior to the old spongy pads on the JMs.
My old 336C didn't have a recoil pad nor did it have checkering on the forearm or butt stock.
Is your 336D in 35 Rem?
It looks to be in mint condition...........not used much?
I usually chuck the boxes when I buy a gun that isn't a collectors item.......my storage areas would be filled with gun boxes if I didn't.
The California approved gun lock Remlin sent with my 336C would make a good boat anchor.......what a monstrosity ! :lol:
Yeah, I pretty much chunk everything as well. I do have a bunch of Marlin padlocks around that I use for other things and I toss the bracket that comes with them.

The picture above was when I received it back in 2000, I'd like to think that I take good care of everything I own and it has seen a lot of use in the field. Below, the "D" is in hand. I had just taken this hog with it and another about the same size within minutes of each other. The fellow on the left side of the picture shot a javelina with it the following day.

I've killed whitetails, mule deer, and antelope with it using my TLC359-190-RF, a 190-grain round flat nose bullet. Here is the rifle as it sits today. It has Decelerator, grid to fit, recoil pad on it. Two of my boys and a nephew have taken quite a bit of critters with it. All three whine about getting it and I just tell to "forget it". Here is how it sits today, some 14 years down the road.

klr wrote:RD- Nice rifle. I debated going that way with my barrel. How long is your tube and how many rounds does it hold?
I saw your picture above, you've got it going on! The "D" holds 4 cartridges in the tube. The rifle is a bit unusual in that the barrel indicates that it has ballard rifling.

That is what the "set of five asterisks" each side of the cartridge identification indicates, a mistake on Marlin's part on the whole group of 500 rifles. It has the Micro-Groove which does not bother me in the least.

I load the rifle to 40.6K PSI using 42.3-grains of H335. That produces a flat 2300 FPS from the 18 1/2" barrel. I was just shooting the same load today from my CVA5800 single shot with it's 20" barrel across a chronograph and saw 2340 FPS, not much of a loss for the "D" at all.

In that these chronographed velocities are mirrorde by the QuickLoad predictions, I had it do it's work on a 16.25" barrel and it says the same load will produce 2230 FPS. A 90 FPS loss from the 20" barrel. Still nothing to sneeze at.

An interesting note from today's 35 Rem shooting. As I was sighting through the scope across the chronograph, I saw a house fly wing it's way through both screens. In my side vision I saw the remote readout light up... 301 FPS! That's 205 MPH! I thought that seemed awful fast so I googled the question right there on the bench and now realize that musca domestica is capable of 811 mph! This guy wasn't bolting from the swatter, just out on patrol for a nice hog pie.
Michael
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

No hogs around here. This will be used for deer and maybe coyote. My barrel slugs at .357, I have a .358 sizer, and my mold throws them a little over .360 so I should be able to brew up a good fit. I'll look at those sights you mentioned, but I was planning on mounting a 2-7x32 compact scope.

RD - Thanks for the info! Awesome, and looks just like what I want to do with mine. I was planning on using 2400 pistol powder for my loads, but I have a couple pounds of H335. Would you be willing to run a load that would give me 1850- 2000 fps with a 216 gr bullet? It's the NOE copy of the RCBS 35-200. Thanks.

Thanks for the fly story too. :lol:
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

RD,
So if the .35 Rem is a mistake which caliber IS the gun?

What's going on a couple inches above the recoil pad on that rifle? Looks a little like it might be a line in the finish?

OTHERWISE GREAT looking rifle!
Really like the lines of the gun.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

klr,
Were you the one that posted the link to the Marauder conversion modification a while back?
That was an excellent source of info and techniques.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

klr wrote:RD - Thanks for the info! Awesome, and looks just like what I want to do with mine. I was planning on using 2400 pistol powder for my loads, but I have a couple pounds of H335. Would you be willing to run a load that would give me 1850- 2000 fps with a 216 gr bullet? It's the NOE copy of the RCBS 35-200. Thanks.
Would be happy to run it klr. I just would need the average bullet length and cartridge OAL you are going to use.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Archer wrote:RD,
So if the .35 Rem is a mistake which caliber IS the gun?

What's going on a couple inches above the recoil pad on that rifle? Looks a little like it might be a line in the finish?

OTHERWISE GREAT looking rifle!
Really like the lines of the gun.
It is a 35 Remington but the "*****" on each side of "35 Rem" indicates that it has Ballard rifling which it does not.

The line is the wood grain in the butt stock.

This rifle along with my 1894P and 444T are the Marlins I will never sell.
Michael
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

Archer wrote:klr,
Were you the one that posted the link to the Marauder conversion modification a while back?
That was an excellent source of info and techniques.
Yep. That's what started this madness. :lol:
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

Ranch Dog wrote: Would be happy to run it klr. I just would need the average bullet length and cartridge OAL you are going to use.
Thanks. I had about a minute before work and took the following measurements: bullet, 1.85" . OAL will be 2.43.