.44 Mag Questions and Ponderings

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: .44 Mag Questions and Ponderings

Post by mr surveyor »

The jacketed loads:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

The Cast LSWC loads:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

I wouldn't put a whole lot of emphasis on where the rounds hit the three inch shoot-n-see's at fifty yards. That's with the (almost) stock factory sights (I installed the sight elevator off an old Daisy BB gun after the first range trip a year ago), my "not so good" vision, and a pretty beat up shoulder before the trip was over. Just glad I didn't shoot the eyes out of the chrony :D

I won't repeat the results of the first chrony tests (early post in this thread), but I really didn't see any huge changes in ES or SD that would make me fret over a few small thousandths of case length.

Oddly, the Bayou Bullets were all over the place this time around as compared to the first chrony test. I generally put this load in about a three inch group, near POA.

Other than this batch of Bayou Bullets, the other three different bullet profiles and loads all seemed to shoot to same point of aim. I was really impressed with load 4, the last of the 40 rounds I shot through this sadistic implement today :lol: . Other than the whiny baby flinch shot #38 (upper right edge of paper), the other nine shots were all well centered around point of aim.

My shoulder hurts now ..... time for some cheap tequila and more pondering :lol:

JD
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

Finally something new to try. I called my gun shop buddy this afternoon to see if he knew of a readily available test batch of some gas checked 250-270gr FN bullets. He called me back an hour later and said he dug around in his personal stash and found a 250 cnt box of Lead Head PS44-265g-44 FN that he had intended to test in a Marlin. Since the bullets are sized to .430, and the Marlins seem to be pretty well known to be in need of .431-.432, it may have been good he forgot to even try them. He bagged me up 40-50 of them to "test" in the Rossi ... I'm sure we'll get even later :D .

Not sure exactly where to start with them, but thinking between 17.0 and 17.5 gr of AA#9 or between 17.5 and 18.0 gr A2400. Ten of each through the chrony on paper. Not really sure what to expect, but I'm guessing around 1525-1550 fps. Having weighed about 20 of these, they seem to average 269-270 gr, and from measurements with my cheap calipers it looks like they'll seat to the crimp groove at around 1.675.

Other than AA9 and A2400, the only other potentially suitable powders I currently have on hand are AA7, Unique and Trail Boss. I will be tempted to try 6.0 to 6.5 gr of TB before they all go downrange.

Any load tweaking suggestions for these bullets and powder combinations would be much appreciated.

JD
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

In my seemingly never ending monologue about the search for the elusive perfect load for my R92, today's episode begins with the load data sheets and finished product. Might get to the range with the chrony and targets before the rain hits.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

Just to finish up what I started with these newly acquired Lead Head RNFP-GC 265gr (270) bullets, here's the chronograph results. As can be seen from my load data sheets (posted above), I decided to try 17.8 gr for both the A2400 and the AA#9. Not having any really solid "been there - done that" data, and using what little I had available and could find elsewhere, it just seemed like a decent starting point in hopes of finding a consistent load in the 1500 fps range with some modicum of accuracy. I shot one of these ten round loads then whined enough that my running buddy (hesitantly) agreed to shoot the second. The 40 rounds from the bench 2 day ago was still stinging my shoulder a bit :lol: . I'm sure there's more accuracy in this gun than either of the two of us are capable of with the factory sights, but the issue for me is still finding the load I want to really key in on. I'm not sure if pushing these up a half notch or so, or reducing would tighten them up ... I'm sure that either a sight improvement or a miracle from my eye doc would make a difference.

Anyway, here's the chrony tests. I'll let it rest now.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

mr surveyor wrote:In my seemingly never ending monologue about the search for the elusive perfect load for my R92, today's episode begins with the load data sheets and finished product. Might get to the range with the chrony and targets before the rain hits.
I appreciate you recording your work here and find anything like this interesting!
Michael
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

JD,
That bottom picture shows some promise of being a good load. Any time I see a group like that, where 3-4 holes are touching, and the rest are spread out a little but still circling the main cluster. I have to think that maybe I'm not aiming well because of the sights or whatever. That kinda target always makes me do a reshoot to prove or disprove whether it was me or the gun. I always think that if the gun can put 3 in one hole, and do it more than once, it ought to be able to put 5-10 in that same hole .....if I'll do my part.

The reason that I got a scope, was for target work, to try and take out some of my inability to get the iron sights "right". Have you tried taking out that brass bead on the front sight? After I did that to one of my guns, and saw an instant increase in accuracy. I took it off of my other three too. If your careful, and wiggle/twist it with some pliers, I have gotten three of them out and not broken the stem. That way you could put it back on if you want. I use a file and square up the sight after I remove the bead. Then spray it with flat black paint.

I also remove the buckhorns from the rear sight on a bench grinder, to make it flat across the top. I just could not get used to those things blocking the view.

I keep a small towel in the shooting box, just for long target sessions with 44 magnum and up guns. When it starts to hurting, I'll fold that towel several times and put it between my shoulder and the kicker. It seems like sitting and leaning forward to get everything lined up just right, always seems to put that steel buttplate in the tenderest spot on my shoulder! After a couple hundred rounds, that don't feel so good. And I'm always ready for somebody to call me a sissy for doing it. I usually take my 458WM to the range with me, and usually leave it in the truck. If anybody gives me grief about my little pistol cartridge cowboy gun kicking too hard and making me cry. I say "hold on one minute" and go get the "big un". I'll rip off 3 rounds, taking a step backwards with every shot, Then I hand them three bullets and the rifle and just point at the 100 yd berm. I don't get a lot of takers on that offer.
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

Well, if I'm not wasting too much bandwidth or boring anyone to tears with my rookie rambling .....

I suppose the next step is ordering enough of the Lead Head 265's to keep playing.... OR, should I bump up to the 300+? The main goal is to make (somewhat) accurate game thumpers, particularly capable of reducing the population of bottom land pigs as a couple of my longtime favorite hunting sites may once again be available soon.

That Weaver Scout Scope has really been calling my name for the last 6 months or so, but deep down inside I really want to keep the lowest profile possible and would love to have a receiver side mount peep that's easily adjustable for both windage and elevation. I'll finally decide on one or the other.

First though it just seems right to tweak out a load that works out to be clean, consistent, reliable with the action, meets the power requirements and sufficiently accurate (consistently). Somewhere in those requirements must be a suitable compromise :lol: .

JD
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

mr surveyor wrote:Well, if I'm not wasting too much bandwidth or boring anyone to tears with my rookie rambling .....
Not a waste at all and those "bottomland" pigs will hate you for it JD!!!
Michael