Boyds 92 Stock/Forend

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Boyds 92 Stock/Forend

Post by akuser47 »

If you ever do it you could make those and others for good money. Nice work thanks for sharing it with us
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Coroner

Post by Coroner »

Well I sent an Email to the company Don recommend, but they replied they would not send me a blank or allow me to send my stocks to them. The advertised stocks will not work as they are already inlet. Gonna keep trying.
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

Blast it.
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

here's where boyd's gets there plywood from. You might have to get a bigger piece of woo and cut your own blanks from it.

But hey, then you would have enough left over to make me one too!

http://www.rutply.com/index.html
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Moon Tree »

Coroner, were you planning to doing all the inlay part yourself? For me that would be the most difficult part of the process. Laminating wood is not that difficult. You're just gluing them together. If you live in or near any city of any size, there's probably wood workers or cabinet makers listed in the yellow page. If they are semi-decent craftsman they should be able to at least rough out a stock for you, maybe even be able to route out the inlays and barrel channel for the forearm. And they should be able to help you pick out different woods with different colors. If there's a specialty wood supply shop like Woodcrafters in your area, they have all kinds of different woods from around the world. You'll get dizzy looking at all of them. They might even be able to connect you with someone who's talented enough to make the stock for you. It's worth a shot.
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.
Coroner

Post by Coroner »

Thank you Moon, im not worried about that just looking for the wood. Looked at some burly maple logs last night but it was cracked. Would work for knives or small carvings. I inlet the walnut one, it was a blank shaped like a four sided triangle? I am thinking trapazoid but not sure. I just want a pepper laminate. Giving the walnut stock to my dad next week for his birthday.
Deleted User 900

Post by Deleted User 900 »

I'm the OP, sorry I haven't been around for a bit; uncle keeps me busy.

I've got a bit of a lull and may actually get back to this project; I'm inspired by Coroners work and may take a crack at woodworking. I'm sick of looking at the barreled action in the safe.

FWIW, I am disappointed in Boyds. I've submitted numerous product requests with nary a reply; even asked how much a custom build might cost. Nothing.
dionesius3

Post by dionesius3 »

You fellows may not know this, but there really has never been a company who made stocks for a 92 that are simple bolt on stock sets. Even back in the heyday of Winchester there were only a couple of companies who would sell you a roughed out blank to turn into a stock for a 92.

My dad was a pretty gun gunsmith who specialized in 92's, 94's, and custom made side by side guns and I've watched and helped him make numerous stock sets for these guns. So it is not unusual that a company like Boyd's does not make ready fit stocks for 92's.

They all are slightly different shape and thickness in the tang and sides. Even Winchesters had variations in the thickness of the tang and especially in the length of the tang. Using a roughed out stock set is really your best bet. Black the metal of the tang with a long wick burning candle, slide the tang into the roughed out tang slot in the stock, remove the metal and sand or chisel out all the black marks and repeat.

After 50 or 60 times of doing this process the tang will fit the stock. Then you move on to thinning the sides of the stock to match the metal on the gun. Mark it and sand test fit and remark and sand again. After 20 -30 cycles of that you will have a perfect fit. If you did it right and didn't get in a hurry and sand off too much.

Then start on the roughed out for end and work your way from where the forend meets the receiver of the gun then finish with the feed tube fit into the forend.

If you can do this in 10 hours your a pretty darned good stock worker. Most folks will take a month to do this right the first time.

But it is after all the ONLY way you will ever get a decent stock set on your own. Or you could send your gun to a custom stock maker and pay him to do it for you. $500 would be a bargain for a plain jane stock of fair quality walnut.