Hi from Queensland

Tell us a bit about yourself!
balvenie

Hi from Queensland

Post by balvenie »

Competitive shooting started for me in 1964, the year I left school and started earning money. At heart however, hunting has been my favourite although there has been precious little of it in comparison to competing and absolutely nothing with a Rossi.
My Rio Grande is a 30/30 and right from the outset it had FTF issues, which a gunsmith fixed. What made me keep it was its accuracy, which was tried out at 100 yards with a scope. Three shots went under an inch and I chickened out, not wanting to spoil it. The little screw up near the muzzle, that goes through the magazine, needed some tweeking for tension, before this result. Prior to doing that accuracy was not nearly as good and not even working on the barrel band at the fore end seemed to help much.
Along the way, the butt has been shortened, a new after market pad installed, along with staining and refinishing the wood. Not walnut but not too bad. Who knows what they grow in Brazil :?:
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hi from Queensland

Post by Ranch Dog »

Greetings! It looks like you have figured out the RG! There is a bunch from AU here!
Michael
balvenie

Post by balvenie »

Ranch Dog wrote:Greetings! It looks like you have figured out the RG! There is a bunch from AU here!
Not necessarily :(
Took it hunting a week ago and it jammed. Thought I was all set but " 'taint necessarily so" and thanks for the welcome.
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

Welcome aboard!!! like RD said there is are quite a few from Oz here. The 30-30 had put lots of meat on folks tables through the years.
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

balvenie wrote:Competitive shooting started for me in 1964, the year I left school and started earning money. At heart however, hunting has been my favourite although there has been precious little of it in comparison to competing and absolutely nothing with a Rossi.
My Rio Grande is a 30/30 and right from the outset it had FTF issues, which a gunsmith fixed. What made me keep it was its accuracy, which was tried out at 100 yards with a scope. Three shots went under an inch and I chickened out, not wanting to spoil it. The little screw up near the muzzle, that goes through the magazine, needed some tweeking for tension, before this result. Prior to doing that accuracy was not nearly as good and not even working on the barrel band at the fore end seemed to help much.
Along the way, the butt has been shortened, a new after market pad installed, along with staining and refinishing the wood. Not walnut but not too bad. Who knows what they grow in Brazil :?:

Welcome aboard balvenie.
Looks like your Rio Grande (RG) finally with a little help from its friends turned out to be a fine weapon.
You probably hang it right below your picture of Aussie ex PM John Howard ;) . :mrgreen:
You're definitely right about the RG30-30s accuracy.........my RG30-30 is perhaps my most accurate levergun with its inexpensive Bushnell Trophy 1.5-4x33mm scope perched on top of it. It puts most of my other levergun/scope combos that outcost it by a factor of several times to shame at the range.
My RG didn't have any mechanical issues except perhaps that the loading gate spring needed a bit of trimming to make it lose its appetite for finger/thumb flesh and the receiver was chock full of cosmoline, dirt, rust flakes & machining cuttings & the inside of the mag tube was filthy as if the gun had been warehoused at the bottom of a sewage lagoon.
I left the Brazilian mystery-wood stock as is ..........the guns not eye candy ......it's a meat getter and fancy-nancy wood & metal work doesn't get the bullet any closer to the center of the 10-ring. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

welcome
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
balvenie

Post by balvenie »

pricedo wrote: You probably hang it right below your picture of Aussie ex PM John Howard ;) . :mrgreen:
I can think of a lot of things to do with my RG, pricedo and giving JH a quick death is not one of them :twisted: :lol:
Thanks for the welcome mate :D
balvenie

Post by balvenie »

Thanks to you too, akuser47 :)
ironhead7544
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by ironhead7544 »

Welcome from SW GA.