Slip on recoil pad for the 92 carbine

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Slip on recoil pad for the 92 carbine

Post by pricedo »

The leather butt covers work as recoil attenuators and give the 92s a classic Buffalo Bill look.

A piece of black plastic, foam or neoprene stuck to the butt stock of a rifle kinda spoils the classic old-American look that is 75% of the reason I buy Winchester rifles and clones rather than the plastic bolt rifle/scope combos that MSRP for $300 - $400 and shoot MOA out of the box.

My opinion, my values, my priorities, my money on the counter top..............your choices might be different when you buy and set up your gun. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Strawdawg

Post by Strawdawg »

those pictures cost me $80 today :mrgreen:
Steve

East of Eden on Tasajillo Hill
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Strawdawg wrote:those pictures cost me $80 today :mrgreen:
OK, I'll bite..........what did you get?
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Strawdawg

Post by Strawdawg »

The Roy Rogers cover from John Klein

http://gunstockcover.com/ROY-ROGERS-RR1.htm

And thinking the High Noon belt and holster will make a good Christmas present for my son

http://gunstockcover.com/HIGH-NOON-HN1.htm
Steve

East of Eden on Tasajillo Hill
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Excellent choices !
That cover will look fantastic on the rifle. :mrgreen:
The man does beautiful leather work.
I have 8 of his covers on my leverguns.
The inside of my gun safe looks like the sequel to the OK corral. :mrgreen:

Your sons eyes will light up like neon bulbs when he pulls that belt and holster combo out of the Xmas wrapping ! :D
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Model 52 »

I'm not overly recoil tolerant - no more than the average guy I suspect - but I don't find my Model 92 to be painful to shoot even with hot Ruger Only 250gr and 300gr loads in .45 Colt.

The key is to move the curved butt plate out of the pocket of your shoulder about an inch and instead rest it against the extreme upper portion of your arm between shoulder joint and bicep.

It allows for a better fit with curved butt plate and allows a little more give as the carbine recoils.

Just sayin'...
williamc

Post by williamc »

I had an Amazon gift card, so I ordered a small Limbsaver slip-on (10546). It is on its way back to Amazon.

It fit alright, with the slip on part fitting closely but not snugly onto the 92's stock. The issue is that the limbsaver attachment is made for stocks with a straight butt plate. The curved plate on the 92 never felt right.

I've been tinkering with leather working for a year or so now. I'm thinking I have enough hide to make my own cover.

William
Rossi 92 - 16" Stainless .44 Magnum
dpe.ahoy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by dpe.ahoy »

If it's going to be covered by the butt cover, cut to fit some carpet pad or old mouse pads. Maybe a slip on with the sides cut off so it will conform to the shape of the butt plate. Gel shoe liners? Lots of things to use for padding if you need it. Everyone's recoil level is different and shooting is supposed to be fun, do what is needed so you enjoy shooting. Just like I don't understand the asses that hand a girl or a child a 12 ga. and laugh when they get knocked back or over. Great way to get people into shooting, right? We need to get, and keep, as many people involved in the shooting sports as we can to keep our freedoms alive. Stepping off soap box now, sorry +of :oops: . DP
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

I think it needs to be said that there is no such thing as a "sissy" when it comes to recoil.
Some people seem to tolerate recoil more than others. In many cases it is because of innate physical characteristics that we have no more control over than the color of our eyes.
There is nothing manly or macho about firing a gun that hurts you and grinning and bearing it.
Recoil pain will cause a flinch which will seriously limit the accuracy of your shooting with any gun and not just the gun that is hurting you.
Do what you need to do to make your firearm as comfortable as possible to shoot.
Comfort is a key component of good shooting skill.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
williamc

Post by williamc »

I wouldn't say I'm very recoil tolerant. Still, 10 rounds of moderate .44mag from my 92 from a bench was enough to bruise my shoulder bad enough to end my day at the range. Considering that I have to drive 45 min each way and pay $20 to shoot, that's a big deal.
Rossi 92 - 16" Stainless .44 Magnum