Different sites for a Rio Grande

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
kliff
Founding Member
Founding Member

Different sites for a Rio Grande

Post by kliff »

I have always been partial to peep sights, Williams in particular, on my Marlin 336. So I decided to put some on my Rio Grande. Not quite a "bolt on," but so close, who cares. The only thing I needed were 4 washers, for a 1/8th" screw, .015" thick. I happened to have some, in brass, but I'm sure radio Shack could find something to get you in the neighborhood. I re-used the scope rail screws, as the suppplied Williams screws were too large. I bought some 5x48 blind filler screws to fill the front 2 holes when removing the scope rail. I also bought from Brownells, a dovetail "plug" to replace the OEM rear leaf site. The Williams site is for a marlin 336, btw. It came that close to being perfect. But as for usefullness, it scores 100points +!

Here she is:

kliff
AR15, 5.56mm home made
'71 Winchester NRA Centennial 30/30
336 Marlin 30/30
Henry Big Boy 45LC
Rossi M92SS 45LC
Rossi Ranch Hand 45LC
Rossi Rio Grande 45-70
Ruger Black Hawk 45LC (x2)
Taurus Judge 45LC/.410
Taurus Tracker 357
Colt Gov't Mod
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Different sites for a Rio Grande

Post by Ranch Dog »

Very, very nice! Interest BrazTech engraving. My rifle has just the serial number.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:Very, very nice! Interest BrazTech engraving. My rifle has just the serial number.

Just the serial number on my .30-30 RG & I didn't even get the big "Eskimo" loop finger lever.
I've heard the big loops called the "Eskimo" loop in the far north cause you gotta learn to do everything with gloved or mittened hands up there including work a rifle action.
Saw lots of guide guns & a few proprietary .50 caliber custom levers based on Marlin actions in Polar Bear country North of 60.
I like Ghost rings and Williams style iron sights like the OP has on his rifle.
They are surprisingly accurate even in the hands of older shooters.
I never did sign on to the commerce driven "latest/greatest" shooting philosophy & don't care what ultra magnum or super-duper-pooper premium bullet sports magazine writers & the "established" gurus say I should be using.
I use what works & has worked for decades.
I'm not the least bit ashamed to admit my moose was downed with a mundane 180 grain Core-Lokt bullet.
I like installing scopes with Warne QD so I have the short range, fast action iron sight option when required.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:Just the serial number on my .30-30 RG & I didn't even get the big "Eskimo" loop finger lever.
I think the big loop is only on the RG4570. The 30-30 and 410 have the standard lever. I appreciate the big loop as a function of recoil. My 444 and 1895 Marlins can thump my knuckles pretty good. Speaking of thumping, got my RG4570 thumping out a 300-grain pill at over 2100 FPS today. Its doing real good motoring along at 35K PSI. I don't think the rifle is up to the 1895 but were it is sitting right now it is the equal of my 444s.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:
pricedo wrote:Just the serial number on my .30-30 RG & I didn't even get the big "Eskimo" loop finger lever.
I think the big loop is only on the RG4570. The 30-30 and 410 have the standard lever. I appreciate the big loop as a function of recoil. My 444 and 1895 Marlins can thump my knuckles pretty good. Speaking of thumping, got my RG4570 thumping out a 300-grain pill at over 2100 FPS today. Its doing real good motoring along at 35K PSI. I don't think the rifle is up to the 1895 but were it is sitting right now it is the equal of my 444s.
300 grains @ 2100 fps..........that's 2940 ft-lbs of muzzle energy

You won't find a dead deer in Texas that will notice the difference between the ballistics of the 1895 vs RG.

But I think you could find at least one Texan of 3 score +/- change years who would at the end of the day appreciate the difference in weight.

That is where the .45-70 Pedersoli 71 based on the super strong 86/71/92 action would have shone.........it could have been loaded to published Ruger # 1 levels.

For a while my eyes were considerably bigger than my pocket book & I entertained the idea of buying the Pedersoli........then the chief cook, bottle washer & accountant lowered the gavel & another pipe dream got put in the "wait till I win the lottery" file.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:300 grains @ 2100 fps..........that's 2940 ft-lbs of muzzle energy

You won't find a dead deer in Texas that will notice the difference between the ballistics of the 1895 vs RG.

But I think you could find at least one Texan of 3 score +/- change years who would at the end of the day appreciate the difference in weight.

That is where the .45-70 Pedersoli 71 based on the super strong 86/71/92 action would have shone.........it could have been loaded to published Ruger # 1 levels.

For a while my eyes were considerably bigger than my pocket book & I entertained the idea of buying the Pedersoli........then the chief cook, bottle washer & accountant lowered the gavel & another pipe dream got put in the "wait till I win the lottery" file.
Yeap, quite proud of my Rossi rifle and as you noted a real pleasure to carry in the field. This is brutal shooting at the bench though. I will do my best to get this rifle on a nilgai this year, a South Texas beast that takes a bit of a thump to anchor. I have no doubt this rifle will do the job. As I've been shooting the rifle, I think how fitting it would be for the big critters in North America.

I decided against the Pedersoli Boar Buster that we discussed in text somewhere up the road. I decided to send my 444T to a fellow that has done work for me in the past. Going to have it prettied up for the long haul as it is a rifle that will stick with me to the end.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Heads Up: scope bases on Rio are TIGHT

Post by pricedo »

Read RDs dialogue about Superglued bases on his .45 LC R92 on the "Scout" thread & it struck a familiar chord.
The receiver sight base was real hard to get off my Rio Grande & I recall verbalizing to myself (interspersed among other choice non-Webster words :shock: ) that was some kind of "Loctite on steroids" that Braztech had used to secure that base. On second thought perhaps it was some kind of glue cause It goes against the quintessential nature of Rossi/Braztech to spend money on honest to goodness Loctite.
Anyone needing to take the mounting base off their Rio Grande had better take all the pictures down off their walls before starting cause they're in for a wrestling match...............those suckers are on there TIGHT.
Luckily there was enough left of the old screws to reattach the base cause I found a screw driver tip that fit exactly.........if there had been any play at all those screw heads would have been hopelessly buggered and the base would still be there.
Taurus may have renamed the Rossi zebra to Braztech to dodge product support obligations but it looks like the old stripes are still there.
Never a dull moment with Rossi......they keep us reeling from surprise to surprise........THAT'S WHY WE LOVE EM. :lol:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA