Ammo for my new M92

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Winter v4

Ammo for my new M92

Post by Winter v4 »

Wassup Guys-I finally got my M92 357 magnum rifle. Being new to the forum and to this gun, I have a few questions, but I will start with the following ones. "What is the best type of ammo to use in my new gun"? Can I shoot any pistol type and load? I've seen a video on youtube that shows a man struggling with misfeeds on semewadsworth (think that is what they are called) bullets. I have only begun the sport of recreational shooting this past January and have collected about 10 firearms since then. I am overwhelmed at my lack of knowledge especially when it comes to bullets, grains and types. I have researched the best I can on the internet and found that Hornady makes the leverrevolution bullet especially for lever action guns. They seem expensive and I was wandering what do you guys use to prevent jams once you cock or cycle your guns lever? I believe I''m suppose to buy a flat nose bullet, but ammo is so hard to come by I don't even know if I can get my hands on any 357 magnum/38 special ammo :roll: . Any info would be appreciated, but please keep it in layman's terms since I will have a hard time understanding if you don't. Thanks
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ammo for my new M92

Post by Ranch Dog »

Winter v4 wrote:Wassup Guys-I finally got my M92 357 magnum rifle. Being new to the forum and to this gun, I have a few questions, but I will start with the following ones. "What is the best type of ammo to use in my new gun"? Can I shoot any pistol type and load? I've seen a video on youtube that shows a man struggling with misfeeds on semewadsworth (think that is what they are called) bullets. I have only begun the sport of recreational shooting this past January and have collected about 10 firearms since then. I am overwhelmed at my lack of knowledge especially when it comes to bullets, grains and types. I have researched the best I can on the internet and found that Hornady makes the leverrevolution bullet especially for lever action guns. They seem expensive and I was wandering what do you guys use to prevent jams once you cock or cycle your guns lever? I believe I''m suppose to buy a flat nose bullet, but ammo is so hard to come by I don't even know if I can get my hands on any 357 magnum/38 special ammo :roll: . Any info would be appreciated, but please keep it in layman's terms since I will have a hard time understanding if you don't. Thanks
Welcome to the forum!

I would say that the best ammunition for your rifle is the ammunition you can find on the shelf. I'm a reloader, so I cannot be a lot of help in that I have never bought a single round of 38 Spl or 357 Mag ammunition, but my advice based on my experience with my two R92s would be to try to find ammo that uses a bullet with a Round Nose (RN) or Round Flat Nose (RFN) profile. I would also want the bullet to be the heaviest possible for the cartridge which would me about 158-grains for this consideration. The bullets with the RN or RFN profile can also be a Soft Point (SP), Flat Nose (FN), or a Hollow Point (HP). These bullet can be constructed of copper, jacketed (J) or solid (S), lead (L), or a mix of the two with the first letter of the designation tends to indicated the material.
JRN.jpg
LRN.jpg
JRN.jpg
JFN.jpg
LFN.jpg
JHP.jpg
The RN or RFN is a better profile for feeding and a heavy bullet is longer which also tends to help. The Wad Cutter (WC) or Semi Wad Cutter (SWC) tends to have more of the bullet in the case, despite the bullet weight, with less sticking out which complicates feeding in some rifles.
SWC.jpg
WC.jpg
About the only "pointy" bullet offered is the Hornady FTX all the reports I've seen is that it feeds and shoots well. The ammo is expensive, especially for target shooting, and intended more for hunting.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Good morning
Well said Michael ! Everyone should be a reloader. Even better is a home brewed cast bullet shooter (boolits). Never have to look for ammo. The variations are unlimited. Always a solution to a need. Why I can even dream up a need for the solutions I have ready to load. It is limitless what I can do for myself at home.
My advice is you should have already been ammo hunting before you received the new Rossi.
My better advice is start laying aside the funds to buy primers, powder, reloading equipment and rig a place to do so.
For the price of 10 boxes of store bought ammo you can be set up with reloading gear and supplies to reload 10 boxes of ammo. From then on it is easy to reload 30 boxes of ammo that another 10 boxes of store bought would cost you.
So ya just have to decide your future... be an ammo hunter or an ammo producer/shooter.
Makes me want to head out to the annex and reload some 44WCF for the next time out to the desert.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

As others have said almost any factory ammo should work fine in the 92. Now as for the Hornady though it is pointed looking the tip is a gummy substance and works fine in lever guns. I don't have a 38/357 however I have a 45 Colt and have shot the Hornady with it as well as my Rio Grande 45-70 which is also a lever gun. Oh and I also load my own and haven't bought a box of factory ammo in well over a year.
Joe
RLF1949

Re: Ammo for my new M92+RELOADING

Post by RLF1949 »

I know absolutely nothing about reloading, but I really like these few answers to this ammo question. Do you guys really think it feasible for a beginner to learn? The ammo needed in our home is .38 special/.357 mag, .45 long colt, plus .380 and 9mm both for semi auto. The big question is how to get started? Thanks, Ron
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Reloading is very easy and there are many starter kits to get you going. The lee loading manaul is a how to step by step for their products. It does seem overwelming, but when you read the how to in the manaul that lee has it puts me at ease for loading and now I have been doing it for a while. ranch dog has alot more experience with loading than I do. He will probly jump in and give some food for thought as well.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ammo for my new M92+RELOADING

Post by Ranch Dog »

RLF1949 wrote:I know absolutely nothing about reloading, but I really like these few answers to this ammo question. Do you guys really think it feasible for a beginner to learn? The ammo needed in our home is .38 special/.357 mag, .45 long colt, plus .380 and 9mm both for semi auto. The big question is how to get started? Thanks, Ron
I teach kids to reload with zero shooting experience so I suspect anyone can do it. What I would suggest is obtaining a Lee Precision catalog and treat it like a manual. This is an easy, zero expense method, of seeing the various pieces of equipment used in the reloading process and their relationship to each other. Once you spend some time with this "bathroom reader" and if you think it is something you might what to try, I would suggest Lee's Modern Reloading and taking the time to read through it before any equipment is purchased.

The ammo crunch has moved a lot of shooters into reloading so reloading equipment is just as scarce as ammo is right now. I know that Lee is working two shifts a day, six days a week, and still looking at a six month backlog of orders. They started several months before the last election. The good thing for you is that it will give you time to study up and ask questions. Right now a lot of folks have bought stuff that they will never use and in the coming two years you will see it on ebay and other sources discounted accordingly. Now is the time to learn about it, next year is the time to start looking.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

The inexpensive Lee Hand Press for about $35 - $40 can get you started loading hunting ammo.
Google "Lee Hand Press" and you'll find some You-tube presentations on what I'm talking about.
The Lee Hand Press takes standard threaded dies and is a fully capable press.
I've full length sized and loaded 375 H&H ammo on one of these compact presses.
I now own 3 of them in addition to my full size bench mounted presses.
Pack one in a briefcase or pack sack if you need to reload ammo on a trip.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Deleted User 547

Post by Deleted User 547 »

That's what I started out with. Very inexpensive way to see if reloading is for you. It comes in handy when I'm on the road for months at a time and need to occupy my time at night.
Fullthrottle

Post by Fullthrottle »

For me reloading is a way of life. Also a different part of the hobby of shooting(a very important one in my eyes).

You can't go wrong with the Lee products, you may be able to improve in the future based on your needs, but the Lee kits will not steer you wrong.
I have a couple guns that have never seen a "factory load" through them and I have never been dissapointed!

I know with the "climate" today it may be hard to get into reloading , due to availibility, it will come back. I have seen this go on several times in the past. That is what got me into reloading. I no longer wanted to be waiting for ammo to shoot, or purchase at high cost. So I decided to be in more control of my shooting.

I have never looked back!

Chris