New out of the box

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: New out of the box

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

While Im lacking experience from shooting from the head I cant see the advantage. Though i havnt tried the woopie cushion yet, i believe with my high fiber/bean diet, if i time it right, i could get the same or better results.
Regarding the flinching, its all about muscle memory. Any repetitive motion will give you that but you have to train those muscles and you have to do it a lot. Training with a firearm you only occasionally use takes time, but experience can still help to prepare you for the basics of anticipation without the jerking movments, but again that comes from experience. Postion of the firearm to shoulder is everything and as stated, bench rest shooting is only as comfortable as the guy who built it. If you build it so a child can use it then call it one size fits all, well then, over comeing and adapting is your only option. In my next life im going to own 1000 acres in western Montana, build me a nice range to suite me and then do away with range fees, and inconvienences when wanting to chronagraph, work up test losds five at a time and then test them right then, thats a beautiful dream, no?
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
rman
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by rman »

May I come and visit in my second life also Doc? That is my dream too.
At my age, there IS nothing better than shooting.
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

Be glad to share it with ya rman
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
pistolcalrookie

Post by pistolcalrookie »

Cheers ND
I once was shooting a 7lb .308 varmint rifle off the bags [with a hot 168gn Matchking load] when a group of enthusiasts asked could I test a .336" megamag something or other for accuracy :lol:

I shot it offhand and the bloody thing was nasty, I reckon probably a 220gn bullet at 2800 FPS or better.
Off the bags I do not reckon it would have done my shooting much good. :roll:
They then gave me a .458 Winmag and it was quiet gentle in comparison, more an authoritative push than a slap with a cricket bat.
Some folks down here just have to have big rifles, dangerous game in Australia is big pigs and a .308 with a decent bullet will see those buggers off.

There are still some Asiatic Water Buffalo up North but still better to hit them with a 165gn Gameking or similar rather than make them angry with a flesh wound from a poorly handled cannon.

I admire you blokes in the US who wander the bush with bears and such skulking about, we have Koala bears :lol:

Those bloody huge Grisly bears would have me carrying some serious hardware plus a radio to call in fire support.

We do have some very nasty snakes.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

My uncle who has a cabin 45 minutes from closest neighbors West Virginia. A dirt road he put in to have access. Getting morning cups of coffee and cooking breakfest. Black bears 150 pounds to 200+ pounds wonder around his yard. Smelling the food from the fire. I never thought he was paranoid again for haven guns and ammo in reach of any 10 feet of his 1600 square foot cabin.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
ptgarcia

Post by ptgarcia »

pistolcalrookie wrote:Cheers ND
I once was shooting a 7lb .308 varmint rifle off the bags [with a hot 168gn Matchking load] when a group of enthusiasts asked could I test a .336" megamag something or other for accuracy :lol:

I shot it offhand and the bloody thing was nasty, I reckon probably a 220gn bullet at 2800 FPS or better.
Off the bags I do not reckon it would have done my shooting much good. :roll:
They then gave me a .458 Winmag and it was quiet gentle in comparison, more an authoritative push than a slap with a cricket bat.
Some folks down here just have to have big rifles, dangerous game in Australia is big pigs and a .308 with a decent bullet will see those buggers off.

There are still some Asiatic Water Buffalo up North but still better to hit them with a 165gn Gameking or similar rather than make them angry with a flesh wound from a poorly handled cannon.

I admire you blokes in the US who wander the bush with bears and such skulking about, we have Koala bears :lol:

Those bloody huge Grisly bears would have me carrying some serious hardware plus a radio to call in fire support.

We do have some very nasty snakes.

I'd rather have the bears! Those snakes are harder to spot!
Paul
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

Well as the story continues, just wanted to add latest addition to the new .44, 16", SS. Made a leather recoil,padded, butt cover today! Enjoyed doing it. If i had to do it over again, I would only change a few things, but not much, got lucky for first attempt.
Dave M
--//--
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
Jaybm
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Jaybm »

Looks good Doc, now go try it out and report back.

Oh, yeah, want to see the target too !

Jim

PS: Now I'm lusting for a SS but not a .44 +guns
Gun Control Means Hitting The Target +guns
triggerpull

Post by triggerpull »

I had a friend fire my 44 and he winced and said it hurt--I know it can be fired without the hurt if you just settle the buttplate into the right spot on your shoulder. If you even imagine that the recoil is gonna hurt--your shot will be off--guaranteed.
rman
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by rman »

Good job doc! That looks great.
At my age, there IS nothing better than shooting.