My Start

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Okie44

Re: My Start

Post by Okie44 »

Good luck! I'll bet she is slick now! +guns
“Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement.”
― Mark Twain
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Trigger measured at four pounds four ounces on my gauge to start. It's at 2 pounds 4 ounces now. I have spent zero so far. I had all the tools and left over supplies.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Jaybm
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Jaybm »

Wow GG. that's some extensive work and great photos.
Phew, 2 lb 4 oz trigger, that's light, what's your intent
for this rifle ?
How's the woodwork coming along ?
AND, a range report is a must !

Jim
Gun Control Means Hitting The Target +guns
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

If it's too trippy I'll take out one of my trigger shims.

I've never hunted and have no local range so I usually just shoot at stuff....paper, my portable steel plate stand, .22 spinners, plastic jugs full of water. Sometimes if there's a good sale on generic soda I buy a 12-pack and shake them up prior to aiming. I can shoot at my parents' place, 45 minute drive.

I'll be testing on Thanksgiving.

Butt stock is done. I merely did a clean and touch up. Fore end was oopsied during reassembly. I'll correct that first then work on the ill-fitting butt plate.

After outdoor pics that's it until function testing.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I'm using the Gunslinger springs in my R92, all five rifle, the trigger pull is 2.5#. I hunt them all and love the pull. It is responsible for the great offhand shots I've made as late. You think it and the round is out.

I do use good trigger discipline but that comes from my pistol shooting, 7500 rounds a year at least.
Michael
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Almost all of my firearms are under 3#. Most are my work and no/very little cost.

Here's one final project. Not gonna start until after the Cowboys get beat.

+guns +guns +guns

Okie44

Post by Okie44 »

GasGuzzler wrote:Almost all of my firearms are under 3#. Most are my work and no/very little cost.

Here's one final project. Not gonna start until after the Cowboys get beat.

+guns +guns +guns
You need to finish that up before Febuary. :mrgreen:
“Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement.”
― Mark Twain
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

I'm enjoying following your journey with your new Rossi. There is alot of satisfaction doing this. I really dont know what i enjoy more, cleaning up a Rossi, reloading or shooting? Keep it up!
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

February? How about 3:15 today.

:)
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Like I said...3:15 Central.

After hand forming the contour with a Dremel (I need a small belt sander I guess) I'm close. This <blurry> pic isn't showing the bolted up profile so it looks like I took too much off, I didn't.

Another really close up yet blurry picture of the AFTER it was shaped and after I leveled the butcher Dremel marks.

Here's where things get interesting. I know it's ferrous because a magnet sticks but is it steel or cast (some sort of iron alloy other than "steel")? If it's ferrous cast it might break with my next step....profile adjustment AKA bend the damn thing. Ohhhh....scary it was. It was flexible enough to call it steel, not brittle.....too soft for my initial approach? Likely. I over-stressed it, not enough to damage it more than a tiny amount of ripple only seen with a magnifying device. Screwing it to the bench was the only way I could attain the leverage needed without something damaging it like teeth of vice jaws.

Try this? PLEASE TAKE IT EASY. I couldn't reform its shape in hand so I went to more drastic measures. Some of you might be able to bent this part in hand.

Now the stress is over and it's time for an AFTER pic. AFTER means I polished the area on the machine, cleaned it with 90% RA, then cold blued the scar before I waited a while and treated the cold blue with my own treatment.....then mounted the plate and took a pic.

+guns

Middle of this week I'll put the fore end back on and will try some staged outdoor "good" pics.

.....then there's the issue of the mag spring hanging out 8-10" beyond the tube when taken apart....

Won't tackle than one unless it fails function testing.

+corn