Braztech Rossi 92 Pre-Purchase Inspection Checklist

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Braztech Rossi 92 Pre-Purchase Inspection Checklist

Post by akuser47 »

Keep us posted
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
mikld

Post by mikld »

Perhaps you'd want to slug the barrel, if allowed. My older Puma in .44 Magnum had a groove diameter of .432"-.433", and it took me a while to get a size die of correct size...
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Don't see a shop clerk standing there quietly while you slug the barrel but who knows.
I always check with the shop proprietor before inspecting a potential purchase ........some will allow it, some won't.........if they won't the next thing they hear will be the door smacking me on the behind on the way out.
I own dozens of hunting rifles........no need for me to buy a "pig in a poke".......and I don't buy sight unseen Rossi firearms over the internet for the same reason.........the odds of pulling an unpleasant surprise from that box are unfortunately way too high........an assumption amply supported by the many tales of woe on this & other gun boards.
Rossi defacto appointed me as my own Rossi quality control inspector because they don't have one at their factory per se.
I take my duties very seriously. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
xbr10dr

Post by xbr10dr »

Check the Friction Stud in the lever, make sure it moves in & out and is not frozen or mangled. This was an
issue on my 357/20". You may not notice it on a new gun with the factory grease but once it's cleaned your gun may not lock up tight.

Rick
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Check the Friction Stud in the lever, make sure it moves in & out and is not frozen or mangled.
I've seen this problem on recent production Marlin (Post Remington move to New York) 1894s.

I have been wondering, based on what I've seen over the years if maybe Rossi has been listening to the forums a bit and at least gradually trying to make some improvements. Then again, I may be overly optimistic. There are still some inconsistency in the guns I've been examining.

From some of what I've read/heard I'd be most cautious about guns that look as if the sights have been mucked about with. Assuming the gun is smooth otherwise that seems to be the thing that might indicate hidden damage if someone mucked with stippling the bottom of the barrel dovetails instead of the bottom of the sight, using shims and/or slightly peening the upper edge of the dovetails to get a sight to stay put.
luangtom

Post by luangtom »

Wow, thanks for posting this list of "look-sees" for purchasing a Rossi 92. I was out today and looked over a Rossi 92, blued, in .38/.357, with the 16" barrel. The LGS had three listed on their inventory, but only one out to look at. Look at it I did. Canted barrel to the right, crooked front-sight and bad screw in barrel-band. I most likely would not have seen these things had I not read "the list" prior to going on my inspection-tour. When I brought these issues up to the counter-person, she shrugged and said, "Someone will buy it. They are hard to come by." When I inquired about the other two listed on their inventory, I was told they were in the warehouse and not available for open-inspection right now. So much for spending my money there..........Gun-shows the next two weekends nearby, so I will most likely spend my money there. Buy local.... NOT.

Again, thanks for the list of what to look for.
Last edited by luangtom on 06 Feb 2014 10:26, edited 1 time in total.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

luangtom wrote:Again, thanks for the list of what to look for.
You're welcome and good work. Terrible attitude on the part of the salesperson but unfortunately, she is right.
Michael
luangtom

Post by luangtom »

Well, it is Saturday, February 8th. I just returned home from putting many miles on looking for a Rossi 92 in either blued or stainless. Nary a one, save the one with a canted-barrel. I did a walk-through of the "big" gun-show that was held locally this weekend and not one Rossi 92 is to be found. As I said, the only one in the area has a canted-barrel and I refuse to purchase a faulty-product and send it in hoping that the maker will stand good and repair or replace it. A person shouldn't haffta do that. So, I wait.......

I left the gun-show and drove to two of the largest retailers of firearms in the area and neither one had a Rossi 92 in stock. I headed North to a rural dealer that I know of and they did not have one in-stock either. I put on over 150-miles today in the Atlanta area just looking for a Rossi 92. Nary a one to be found. Sad.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

That's too bad. Might have to have one brought in.
Michael
luangtom

Post by luangtom »

I do very little ordering of firearms. I am a more "hands-on" type of buyer. If I cannot see it, feel it and work it, I will not buy it. I never special-order my autos or trucks. I always find something I like on the lot and try it out. I will not special-order and be told, "There. It is yours"....and then have to re-fit it or re-build it. I am too old and ornery to change now. I will wait and if not, shoot the new Ruger 10/22 I got while looking for the Rossi.