My Start

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Jaybm
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: My Start

Post by Jaybm »

That wood up close looks really good, I probably wouldn't mess with it.
My carbine is showing a little of the ring wear. Removing the leather
strap was the first thing I did, kept getting in the way.

Anxious to see a range report ... Jim
Gun Control Means Hitting The Target +guns
Maximumbob54
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Maximumbob54 »

If the leather strap was on the ring then it might have been there to keep the ring from the receiver. Maybe put it back but trim it?
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

It didn't have any leather on it but the seller provided a rectangle and a strip of leather.

After it's done, I'll contemplate a solution.

Seller wasn't original owner. He's only had it standing on butt in a cabinet for the last 15 years. He says he shot about 100 out of it.

RD is likely correct. Since the only other finish wear is on the left side of the front sight band, I'd imagine it spent time on its left side.

No safety on this old girl to mount a sight to.

Tear down tomorrow.

Don't worry about the wood. I can spot others' refinishes easily in person, most can't spot mine. In most cases I don't completely refinish wood unless it's bad. This one is not bad, just not what I want.

More pics as they come.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I sort of look at it that the value in the 92 is in how it functions.
A used 92 isn't ever going to be a gold mine as most dealers aren't real interested in paying much for them and you'd have to find a person who wanted one pretty bad to get your money out if you bought one NIB.

Refinishing the stock shouldn't put much if any hit in that unless you really fouled it up.
I know folks who shouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole but I'd be surprised if I couldn't at least end up with something as good as the Rossi factory. Yeah it WILL look refinished because it Won't look like it was done by a $5 an hour fast food greater during his bathroom breaks. I'm much more concerned about the possibility of mucking up a screw in the process of getting the forend off the gun and back on after refinishing is done.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

That wood looks pretty good but I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was already refinished once at some time in the past.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Nearly any lower budget gun from this era looks odd and dark wood-wise. I don't think this one has been apart at all with exception of the mag tube.

I promise it will look better but look like it hasn't been over-improved if that makes sense.

So far the butt is off but now I have issue #1. There's no hole in the hammer spring rod to pin it, capturing the spring. That will make pulling the hammer group more than difficult. It would be a tight fight with a short stick to drill a round rod while installed.

Time to use an old table fork unless someone has a better idea.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Found the hole in the hammer spring rod. I was looking in the wrong place.

Anyway....I got her apart and took some pics of a little corrosion hiding in tight spots as well as many examples of rough machining I am going to correct going back together. For now, more pics.

Under the front site/barrel band.

Uneven wear (left/right) inside receiver.

Dirty and rough machining.

More roughness...

Tool marks. Also you'll notice the stamping. About 5-6 parts including the butt stock are marked with this number. I bet it's a 1987 rifle.

Hammer better than expected but dirty.

More roughness and uneven wear.

Tops shiny?

Lots of work here. All this stuff is soaking while I work on the wood.

GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Leveled the sides of the hammer just a little before polishing.

Polish underneath. I left some grain to hold oil.

Deburred trigger leaf spring and polished the end.

Cut up some spent .22LR to make trigger shims. Ended up with two.

More clean up work on the polishing wheel...

akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Nice work keep us posted to your progress and results.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Had some trouble finding a proper reduced diameter wire spring of the proper diameter and length even though I have a giant bin of springs. Well....plan B. Cut a half coil off each side of the ejector spring then I heated with a torch while pulling it on each end with pliers. I stretched too far to fit as intended....let it cool....then reheated and compressed it with channel locks. While practicing with a cool spring it only flew away five times but I found it each time. I guess my time as a automotive tech has trained my dropped item skills. Empties fly up about 4' above my head and hit ground a foot or two to the side. :D They were soaring 8' and 12' back.

THIS WAS MY BIGGEST BEATING....took me half an hour to get all the rear end together. Don't ask why....I don't know other than I was working on the floor (bench covered with the aftermath of getting this far on a day I also awakened the twice per year 40-year old front tiller for garden plot winter prep :? ) and was more mentally ill than usual.

Everything is the right color now... :lol: The speck on the right side of the bolt is lint. :roll:

I need to touch up an UH OH or two on the fore end (yes, it has to come back off), reinstall the butt stock, and modify the butt plate to actually come close to fitting.

Wish me luck, could be done tomorrow.... +guns