How does the RG 45/70 compare with the 1895 Marlin?

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: How does the RG 45/70 compare with the 1895 Marlin?

Post by joec »

Here is Bud's price on a stainless steel Rossi RG 45-70. http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... DE+4570+SS
Joe
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

joec wrote:Here is Bud's price on a stainless steel Rossi RG 45-70. http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... DE+4570+SS
$514 plus any FFL fee.
Michael
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

I noticed Buds says something about "additional fees to ship to Alaska and Hawaii", probably that with the FFL fees would put it over the top compared with Davidsons. The thing I like about Davidsons is even though I have to pay local city sales tax, the shipping to AK is included and no FFL fee on top of the quoted price and one of the locals here gets to make a few bucks on it and if there is anything wrong, they have a good guarantee.
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
bigchelis

Post by bigchelis »

joec wrote:Here is Bud's price on a stainless steel Rossi RG 45-70. http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... DE+4570+SS
I have ordered from BudsGunshop before. It was a bolt action Tikka .223 that was sent to my FFL here in California where it costs $70~$150 for FFL fee, plus shipping, and we have to pay the FFL dealers the tax on it too. For me it was about $150~$175 extra to have my Tikka in my hands. Also, the price you see in the cart is if you send a money order. I paid with Debit Visa and it added more money for not using a money order via mail.

A heck of a deal if you live in a more free state.

bigC
bigchelis

Post by bigchelis »

I have ordered from BudsGunshop before. It was a bolt action Tikka .223 that was sent to my FFL here in California where it costs $70~$150 for FFL fee, plus shipping, and we have to pay the FFL dealers the tax on it too. For me it was about $150~$175 extra to have my Tikka in my hands. Also, the price you see in the cart is if you send a money order. I paid with Debit Visa and it added more money for not using a money order via mail.

A heck of a deal if you live in a more free state.

bigC
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

pricedo wrote:
Arktikos wrote:Yeah they have sold upteen jillion guide guns in AK over the years they have been made. Every time it seems I take mine to the range someone comes up and says that they "have one of those at home". I find most people who own them don't realize the difference between a JM and a Remington anyhow, or that Remington even owns and makes Marlins now, so the JM, isn't worth much here. I'll probably just hang onto it, I think I paid $575 for it new back in 09 and it might not even bring anywhere near that now.. Besides, if 4 rounds of 520gr wont stop a bear a couple more wont make any difference. There is one thing that I really like about the RG other than aesthetics and that is the weight factor. I'll see this summer how much difference carrying the M92 is over the Marlin, and if I find I am preferring to pack the 454 more in bear territory I may have to rethink trading to a RG.
For a gun that nobody (except again for that tiny minority ME) has a lot of good things to say about the Guide Gun is very popular.
I love my 2 Guide Guns even though they are Remlins I practically rebuilt with 3rd party parts from Wild West Guns.........both accurate & slick & low profile for bush carry with really crisp & light "Happy Triggers" from WWG.
The GG is heavier than a RG but I load em stiff and you need STEEL to hold pressure & steel weighs.
The fact that they (the GGs) shot me an elk and a moose last year probably prejudiced my opinion.
I topped both with Leupold 2-7x33mm scopes using Warne QD mounts so the scopes can be mounted/dismounted in seconds.
As for Rio Grandes......my Rio Grande in 30-30 Winchester purchased last year cleaned-up to be a very accurate & slick rifle with an excellent factory trigger.
I have 6 x 45-70s including a superb Pedersoli 86/71 & don't need another.
I just need one 45/70 and I really think I would like the Rio and would shoot it more often, but the JM Marlin is a great gun too, hard to get more accurate than this (at least for me). Still someday I am going to get a Rio...
50 yds 5 rounds:
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Good shooting but 11.5 grains of Unique does not a "bear stopper" make.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Good shooting but 11.5 grains of Unique does not a "bear stopper" make.
Michael
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

Ranch Dog wrote:Good shooting but 11.5 grains of Unique does not a "bear stopper" make.
Well I figure if I can hit a nickle at 50 yds I can hit a bear in the eye and put its lights out too, even with unique.. :mrgreen:
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

True!
Michael