Question about load data

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Question about load data

Post by joec »

I ordered 50 of each of 430gr Gas checked and 535gr Gas checked WFN bullets from Doc Holiday over at Marlins Forum today. I was wondering if any one has used these in a Rio Grande 45-70 and what would work best of the powders I have. Those would be IMR 4198, IMR 3031 and Reloader 7. I have new Starline brass, CCI LRP. If any one has loaded these where did they find the listings of min/max loads that will work in a RG rifle.
Joe
doskiez

Re: Question about load data

Post by doskiez »

Ranch Dog helped me work up a load using 405G cast bullets and I have had nothing but good luck. I am using Varget powder (which I do like for this round) so that probably doesnt help you much.
Rio Grand .45-70
Many more guns, reloading equipment, etc etc.
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

doskiez wrote:Ranch Dog helped me work up a load using 405G cast bullets and I have had nothing but good luck. I am using Varget powder (which I do like for this round) so that probably doesnt help you much.
Varget is one of those powders I've never seen in my area. With the way things are at the moment I'm glad I at least saw it coming and got what I did. :D

Now Doc sent me this in regards to my question to him, listing the 3 powders I had. I guess he thought I was talking about a Marlin with the 40,000 CUP comment but was looking for a starting place really.
First off Joe, If you can shoot them at 40,000 CUP.... you are a better man then me!! OMG that would hurt!! I like IMR-3031 out of those since it is one of my favorite powders for these boolits. My starting load for the 430gr is 41gr (cant remember the fps on that one though) 42gr is around mid 1500fps
starting load for the 535gr would be around 38 or so (i shoot mine at 41) so start low and work your way up and look for the groups.

Doc
Joe
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

joec wrote:I ordered 50 of each of 430gr Gas checked and 535gr Gas checked WFN bullets from Doc Holiday over at Marlins Forum today. I was wondering if any one has used these in a Rio Grande 45-70 and what would work best of the powders I have. Those would be IMR 4198, IMR 3031 and Reloader 7. I have new Starline brass, CCI LRP. If any one has loaded these where did they find the listings of min/max loads that will work in a RG rifle.
I've only bought Doc's 350's but none of the weights you mention, . As to the 530's you may get some clues as to powders and pressures for the Rio from this link that Ranch Dog did with some Beartooth 525 gr Pile drivers. http://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic ... iver#p1829 Look at the PDF for the piledriver which has a bunch of different powders based on a Quickload query.
I have the Beartooth and perhaps they could be similar enough design to your 530's to corolate a safe start load. The seating depth on the pile drivers is .831. Beartooth's web site has this link: http://beartoothbullets.com/open_sight/ ... ght.htm/21 which shows that of their recommendations RL-7 had the fastest velocity. I wouldn't go that hot with my gun however and it is an 1895.
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Arktikos wrote:
joec wrote:I ordered 50 of each of 430gr Gas checked and 535gr Gas checked WFN bullets from Doc Holiday over at Marlins Forum today. I was wondering if any one has used these in a Rio Grande 45-70 and what would work best of the powders I have. Those would be IMR 4198, IMR 3031 and Reloader 7. I have new Starline brass, CCI LRP. If any one has loaded these where did they find the listings of min/max loads that will work in a RG rifle.
I've only bought Doc's 350's but none of the weights you mention, . As to the 530's you may get some clues as to powders and pressures for the Rio from this link that Ranch Dog did with some Beartooth 525 gr Pile drivers. http://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic ... iver#p1829 Look at the PDF for the piledriver which has a bunch of different powders based on a Quickload query.
I have the Beartooth and perhaps they could be similar enough design to your 530's to corolate a safe start load. The seating depth on the pile drivers is .831. Beartooth's web site has this link: http://beartoothbullets.com/open_sight/ ... ght.htm/21 which shows that of their recommendations RL-7 had the fastest velocity. I wouldn't go that hot with my gun however and it is an 1895.[/quote

Thanks and they are very similar now that I look at them, to the Beartooth bullets. I also have Ranch Dogs data downloaded also. As for the fastest velocity is never my goal as I'm looking for accuracy and take down power so rarely load to the top of most recommendations. I usually start about middle shot a couple looking at accuracy first then move up or down until I find a good point.
Joe
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

joec wrote:
Thanks and they are very similar now that I look at them, to the Beartooth bullets. I also have Ranch Dogs data downloaded also. As for the fastest velocity is never my goal as I'm looking for accuracy and take down power so rarely load to the top of most recommendations. I usually start about middle shot a couple looking at accuracy first then move up or down until I find a good point.
Same here. I am using the heavies for max penetration at very close range (bear protection) so don't need to rattle my teeth fillings and bruise my shoulder unnecessarily. I would say my need for the right powder is even less than yours as accuracy isn't even a concern of mine. I went with RL-7 because I had some on hand and it is usually more available here than some of the others.
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Arktikos wrote:
joec wrote:
Same here. I am using the heavies for max penetration at very close range (bear protection) so don't need to rattle my teeth fillings and bruise my shoulder unnecessarily. I would say my need for the right powder is even less than yours as accuracy isn't even a concern of mine. I went with RL-7 because I had some on hand and it is usually more available here than some of the others.
I've been using 405 gr from Badman Bullets and some someone gave me from Western Nevada which has since gone out of business I guess. At any rate I've shot them using Trailboss for plinking, black powder (several brands, GOEX, KIK, Swiss and Schuetzen), IMR 4198 and IMR 3031 but have yet to open the RL-7. For the 4198, 3031 I've been loading at the top of trapdoor loads or the bottom of the Modern Lever loads. With BP it is about 65 gr (actually don't weigh as I do black powder using the bullet to compress). Trailboss between 12.8 to 13 gr with best accuracy at 12.8 for me.
Joe
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

I've had great luck with Trail boss and Unique for plinking with 350gr in my 1895 and for something thats a bit more intermediate level I use 5744 with 405gr Lasercast, and saving the RL-7 for my not so fun to shoot heavy hard cast GC loads!
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Arktikos wrote:I've had great luck with Trail boss and Unique for plinking with 350gr in my 1895 and for something thats a bit more intermediate level I use 5744 with 405gr Lasercast, and saving the RL-7 for my not so fun to shoot heavy hard cast GC loads!

In all honesty I've never shot anything below a 405 gr bullet from my 45-70 as my 45 Colt gets close to that. I'm also saving the RL-7 for a batch of True Cast for bigger game, like black bears that will be where I'm moving around June or so when I finally retire. I also have Unique and a number of other powders but haven't tried them with the 45-70 but have with the 9mm, 45 ACP and 45 Colt. I've read though that a lot of people like it with 45-70 also. I did stock up when I felt Obama was going to win a second term as I sure didn't want to deal with the shortages I figured would follow like the first time.
Joe
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

I usually load 405 gr too but when just shooting at the range at targets the 350's make the same size hole in paper.. :mrgreen: I have gotten the tightest groups with 350's and Unique with the 45/70, but TB is a close second. The only thing I don't like with Unique is the possibility of a double charge in those big cases, so I get a light shining in them and look closely to make certain that hasn't happened, cuz all it takes is once... :cry:

Best wishes for your retirement!