From Saint-Petersburg

Tell us a bit about yourself!
LexsLavrov

From Saint-Petersburg

Post by LexsLavrov »

Hi!
I own Rossi 92 in .357mag since 2021. Bought it brand new "freshly" made and imported to Russian in 2014 :)
Since then I developed a trend to modify my rifle to my liking.
IMG_20230112_132519_051_.jpg
IMG_20230112_132752_977_.jpg
Here couple of pictures for you to have an idea what I have done ;)

Recently I was very upset by the fact that mag tube starts to develop considerable rusting whenever it has a chance. I was thinking on how to eliminate this problem and decided to replace steel tube with carbon fiber.
P4044212_.jpg
That went very well.
Almost no effort required: cut to the length, file a slot for mar retainer pin, drill holes for mag plug screw.
While working I decided to weigh parts. Original mag tube (20" barrel) - 150 grams. Carbon tube - 30 grams.
This lead me to the thinking of replacing wooden handguard by carbon. But this going to be much more complicated than replacing mag tube. I need to build a complete 3D model of whole carbine in order to understand what carbon stock to use and how. Also, in future, making a skeletonized aluminum stock seems a great idea.
So... I am looking for some detailed drawings of Rossi 92 receiver. There are lost of complicated curves there, I feel a need for a second sourse of information other than the carbine itself. If anyone can direct me to such a data, please do.

As for my previous development - feel free to ask. Willing to share any information you are interested in.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: From Saint-Petersburg

Post by Ranch Dog »

I like the work! What cartridge is the rifle chambered for, and what kind of shooting/hunting do you do?
Michael
Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Gunny268 »

Welcome to the forum.
LexsLavrov

Post by LexsLavrov »

Ranch Dog wrote: 18 Apr 2024 04:49 I like the work!
Thanks!
Ranch Dog wrote: 18 Apr 2024 04:49What cartridge is the rifle chambered for, and what kind of shooting/hunting do you do?
.357mag/.38spl
This choice is dictated by the fact that only these are made in Russia. Both calibers from factory is a complete garbage, but I can have domestic source of caeses. There are some brass cases available, but with restrictions this is not a reliable source.
Every year around New Year holidays I take a vacation and go to North Caucasus. My institute has a radio astronomical observatory there. I can live there (and occasionally work ;)) and go hunting with local people. Hunting is on foot. Terrain is complicated, lots and lots of ravines, almost always you go up or down. Altitude is about 1000 m above sea level, which is great for ballistics. There are lots of jackals, foxes, hare, small deer. Chance of large dangerous game is minimal
LexsLavrov

Post by LexsLavrov »

Before covid we were having some competitions too. We have "running boar" competitions for hunters.
Image Image
Happen to won couple of them.
And also a good chance to pick up some used bullets for smelting while referees counting final scores ;)