skinner peep sight

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
COSteve

Re: skinner peep sight

Post by COSteve »

While not easily field adjustable, Steve's bolt safety peep sight replacement is a great addition to my carbine. I have it zero'd at 100 yds and that gives me a wide range of useful distances using only 'Kentucky Windage".

It both increases the sight radius to 21" and puts the aperture close to my eye to increase Depth of Field. Together, they allow me to see both the front sight and a bowling pin at 200 yds clearly so hitting it isn't hard (when I'm on my game).

IMG_3374 R1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Steve's bolt safety is not the best fitting for the price. I'd still choose it again over having the sight be in front of the ejection port. Maybe the more recently made ones are sloppier as I got one only a couple years ago for a .454 I already sold. My .357 is old enough to have the original (good) style of Rossi sight and no safety so it's stock.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Gunny268 »

jstanfield...got one of those for the daughter's R92. Just waiting for the day when she's finally done complaining about the factory buckhorn. Ha Ha.
COSteve

Post by COSteve »

GasGuzzler wrote: 06 Mar 2024 07:06 Steve's bolt safety is not the best fitting for the price. I'd still choose it again over having the sight be in front of the ejection port.
The grove cut in the collar is not always in the correct place for a given rifle sometimes causing it to be loose, however, it's a simple thing to file another grove in the collar in the correct spot.

Simply push in the collar, take the pin and push it in the hole and then tap the pin with a hammer to make a mark on the collar where you file a tiny, undersized notch biased on the upper side of the mark. Then install the collar, line up the notch with the hole and drive in the pin.

That will force the collar down into the hole where it will be tight and the sight will work just fine.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Simple for you and I, not for everyone, and for the price, I expected more. But I am not one to spend a lot of money on a DVD and a spring either.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.