Subsonic load accuracy at 50-75 yards

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
trekker

Re: Subsonic load accuracy at 50-75 yards

Post by trekker »

Yes lead will produce higher velocities with the same charge than jacketed. Glad it all worked out for you. My tinkering ability is not as high as yours, I've decided not to cast, and will test a range of on the market bullets and jacketed bullets to see how they go on medium game.

As to ADI powders if you are getting AP-70 there I assume you can get AS-30N(what Hodgon in the US markets as 'clays' ). Might be worth a look, faster burning than AP-70 (which is what Americans market as 'Universal clays', different from regular clays).

https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol

From hodgons reloading manual for 357 pistol , 158 grain cast
3.2 clays(As-30N) 867fps
4.6 clays (As-30N) 1079fps.
This is a pistol barrel, you should get an extra 80-120fps from the rifle barrel.

The max load listed for trailboss is 4.2 for 865fps in the pistol barrel which probably equates to your 945fps from rifles.
Coote

Post by Coote »

Thanks Trekker. Yep, I'd be tempted to get some AP30N powder. I understand that another powder it is is similar to is Alliant Red Dot... which seems to be fairly popular for reduced loads in some cartridges. Have a great weekend.
severnsider

Post by severnsider »

Hi Trekker,
I have found that 125gr lead (in my case truncated cone) work best in my 20" Rossi. I'm using .38SPL cases and using 5.3gr N340. This is giving me around 1050fps at the muzzle so just about subsonic I think. Ten rounds of this will group into a hole that's just about two bullet-widths diameter at 25 yards and is easily sub-2" at 50m. They'll hit a 6" plate at 100m offhand too (I'm using a red dot sight).
4.2gr Bullseye under a 125gr TC produced MV of 1100fps, but I don't recall hearing a supersonic "crack" with this. That load was also very accurate and felt light to shoot.
It does seem that the Rossi with a 30" twist prefers the 125gr bullets.
EdinGa

Post by EdinGa »

My absolute favorite plinking load is 5 grains of Hodgdon Universal under a 125gr RN cast bullet. It's definitely subsonic from my 16 inch Henry. I haven't really put it on paper but it makes empty shotgun hulls dance at 25 yards.

Edit: I put some over the chronograph this afternoon and they averaged 1020 fps.
Deleted User 327

Post by Deleted User 327 »

Coote wrote: In case you are wondering about the tape around the barrel, I generally put tape over the muzzle to stop twigs and rain getting in. I keep spare tape wrapped around the barrel.
Back in the day when I was a 'guest of Uncle Sam' and got to go on an all expense paid trip to RVN, we use to use a prophylactic we'd get at the commissary over the muzzle of the barrel on our M16 to keep out rain and such. You didn't have to remove it, just fire through it and it worked just fine. ;)
Coote

Post by Coote »

The prophylactic muzzle cover is a good idea. I think years ago I once read about a big game hunter who used a balloon for the same thing. I'd have to get my missus to show me how to put it on :)