Ruger PCC9

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Ruger PCC9

Post by golfish »

Hey guys, thought I post up a quick review on this carbine.
Its easy to break down, its very accurate out to 75 yards and hardly no kick. I like that it takes 9mm glock mags and is take down, though it is a little heavy. We shot the snot out of it with out an single hiccup. The little TRS25 is a good fit for this gun.
I would say the only con is that its heavier than it looks. I'm looking forward to the 45acp when it comes out.
It seems to be selling for around 500-600 bucks, though I have seen them as low as 480.
GRV01
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Ruger PCC9

Post by GRV01 »

I gotta admit for all the hate i have for black guns i really like the PCC despite myself. I think its because the 'use the same ammo and mags' concept of pistol caliber carbines is what got me into firearms in the first place back when i almost bought a matching set of HiPoints. I think if i did get one itd be with a matching American pistol. A couple of lights on them and naybe a suppressor on the PCC and youve a great home defense pair

Ill agree with you that id like to see it in 45, a caliber that i dont own anything in yet but that i find more and more intriguing since i can use 452 bullets for ACP, LC, and even BM.

Also hopefully the PCC stays popular do Boyds or somebody can start making aftermarket wood stocks :)
No thin chicks
Currently reloading: 38 SPL, 357 MAG
Rossi's Owned: M92 .357 20"(Owned by Wifey: M92 .357 16")
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

My 20th Century pistol/carbine combo is a Beretta PX4/CX4 in 40, which I dearly love. They make a 45 version, but oddly, the mags are not interchangeable in that caliber. Between 9, 40 and 45, the only caliber that gets any additional velocity from the extra barrel length is the 45. The CX4 is an "open bolt" blow back, so it also doesn't benefit much from suppression (from what I read).
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

The Ruger costs too much IMO. Make my PCC a Keltec Sub2000 in Glock 9. I've probably said that. The Keltec folds. The Highpoint does not and the Ruger comes apart.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

GRV01 wrote:
Ill agree with you that id like to see it in 45, a caliber that i dont own anything in yet but that i find more and more intriguing since i can use 452 bullets for ACP, LC, and even BM.

Also hopefully the PCC stays popular do Boyds or somebody can start making aftermarket wood stocks :)
I think I'd be asking too much if the 45acp model used 1911 mags :)

I agree about the wood stock, I'd really like to see a plain walnut stock.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

several years ago I had a Kel-Tec Sub2000 9mm that I had bought used at a good price. It was reliable, compact, and pretty accurate. I really found no practical use for it, other than a fun toy at the range and traded it away. Then, a couple years later I bought a Beretta Storm 9mm, and ended up keeping it only a couple of years before it got traded away for the same reasons the KT S2K got traded. Amazingly, the Kel-Tec was actually more accurate than the Beretta. I just couldn't justify keeping a 9mm long gun around just to blast ammunition.

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
GRV01
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by GRV01 »

True, a PCC of any make is limited by its caliber. I feel 9mm is a little worse as its good for small game hunting or pest control, plinking, HD, and not much else. Atleast with 45 you could feasibly go up to medium-light game up to 150lbs like whitetail and still do those other things 9mm can

And a 1911-magazine compatible Ruger PCC would be neat and not too hard to do i imagine as theyve got that mag well adapter setup so who knows

As an aside i think an M1 Carbine in 45 that took 1911 mags would be one of the coolest matched pairs possible (added: apparently theres the Marlin Camp Carbine that takes 1911 mags, oops. Still, an M1 would make a better matched pair)
No thin chicks
Currently reloading: 38 SPL, 357 MAG
Rossi's Owned: M92 .357 20"(Owned by Wifey: M92 .357 16")
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

There were some M1 Carbine conversions in .45 Winchester Auto Mag.
Word was they were problematic but something along that line that worked would be pretty interesting.
Doubly so if you happened to have one (or more) of the LAR handguns in the same caliber.

Marlin made some camp carbines in .45 ACP that took 1911 mags but everyone I've heard of who had one said the stock cracked and either had to be repaired or made the gun useless.

There was also a Guns and Ammo article on a Marlin .45 ACP lever gun but I never ever saw one in the wild.
I assumed someone decided ball centerfire ammo in a lever gun might not be the brightest idea or that in a lever gun there was simply more market in the revolver cartridges.

I've shot the little JR carbines a couple buds owned. I don't know if I'd even consider them much more than a range toy.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I thought the Camps used Springfield or Beretta magazines.

The Keltec has good accuracy reviews.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

I consider my 40 cal CX4 as an effective personal defense firearm, but I don't use it for hunting. My buddy uses his 45 on pigs, with +P ammo and hard cast RNFP.

Beretta just introduced a new submachine gun (PMX), and I wonder if they're fixin' to supplant the CX4 with a semi-auto version.