Hay Ranch Dog

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Hay Ranch Dog

Post by joec »

I loaded up 20 rounds using your 290 gr bullets as cast by Carolina Bullets today. I checked the VMD using your program and found the Lil' Gun batch I have is dead on to specs by the maker and listed in your program. Using your program it told me Lee double disk was .76 and .95 would give me 25.3 and actually gave me precisely 25 gr. I actually checked each charge as I did them. I also sized the bullet to .452 and pan lubed with X-Lox 2500+ 1 lb lube setting the OAL to 1.600. Now to go and test them for accuracy as soon as my butt cover arrives. If they work out I will do some more the same way.
Joe
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hay Ranch Dog

Post by Ranch Dog »

Very good. That is pretty close to a max load so you should start with something lower, something around 23.0-grains, just to make sure your rifle is up to it. You can use the auto disk to do this work as well. I typically shoot 5 rounds as a starting load just to make sure everything is right.
Michael
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Hay Ranch Dog

Post by joec »

Ranch Dog wrote:Very good. That is pretty close to a max load so you should start with something lower, something around 23.0-grains, just to make sure your rifle is up to it. You can use the auto disk to do this work as well. I typically shoot 5 rounds as a starting load just to make sure everything is right.
You didn't list a min load so I went 7% less for a few test loads figuring 24 grs was a little over and came up using your program as .71 and .88 which was supposed to be 23.5 but actually giving 23.1 gr. I also loaded up a couple using exactly 24 grs using the .71 - .95 disks. I've also marked them and will start with the lightest first and work up. Oh and last rounds through this rifle was the last of a box of factory Ruger only loads by Hornady I had left over.
Joe