Powder best for loading in 45-70, I know broad question.

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Powder best for loading in 45-70, I know broad question.

Post by pricedo »

My brother-in-law will play with all kinds of load recipes, COALs, light and heavy crimps, you name it & pile up brass knee high (I see the boxes of fired brass in his PU) trying to squeeze 1/2 MOA more accuracy out of 45-70 & other caliber leverguns that:

a) were designed to be a short to moderate range utility guns with inherent (design) accuracy limitations of 2 MOA or thereabouts,
[I know all internet shooters consistently shoot well under 1 MOA and my BIL swears he has leverguns that will do it "all day long" but it's odd that he never brings any of these "wonder-guns" to the range when we go together. He must be afraid that a speck of range dust will land on the barrel & throw the gun off :mrgreen: ]

b) the main purpose of which is to hunt animals that are as wide as a proverbial barn door (elk & moose) often shot at much less than 75 yards where 1/2 MOA is absolutely irrelevant.

I think that by the time he is finally happy with a gun the barrel must be worn smooth as a babies "business end".

Oh well, he has money to burn (literally in powder & primers & rifling steel) and it seems to make him happy. :D

I stick with H4198, H322, IMR-3031, H355 for all my 45-70 loading and if the gun gives me 1 1/2" - 2" groups at 50 yards with a stock levergun I'm happy. I'm one of the apparently miniscule minority that owns the odd levergun that DOESN'T consistently shoot under 1 MOA.:mrgreen:

I will hang my head in shame. :oops: :oops:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Powder best for loading in 45-70, I know broad question.

Post by joec »

pricedo wrote:My brother-in-law will play with all kinds of load recipes, COALs, light and heavy crimps, you name it & pile up brass knee high (I see the boxes of fired brass in his PU) trying to squeeze 1/2 MOA more accuracy out of 45-70 & other caliber leverguns that:

a) were designed to be a short to moderate range utility guns with inherent (design) accuracy limitations of 2 MOA or thereabouts,
[I know all internet shooters consistently shoot well under 1 MOA and my BIL swears he has leverguns that will do it "all day long" but it's odd that he never brings any of these "wonder-guns" to the range when we go together. He must be afraid that a speck of range dust will land on the barrel & throw the gun off :mrgreen: ]

b) the main purpose of which is to hunt animals that are as wide as a proverbial barn door (elk & moose) often shot at much less than 75 yards where 1/2 MOA is absolutely irrelevant.

I think that by the time he is finally happy with a gun the barrel must be worn smooth as a babies "business end".

Oh well, he has money to burn (literally in powder & primers & rifling steel) and it seems to make him happy. :D

I stick with H4198, H322, IMR-3031, H355 for all my 45-70 loading and if the gun gives me 1 1/2" - 2" groups at 50 yards with a stock levergun I'm happy. I'm one of the apparently miniscule minority that owns the odd levergun that DOESN'T consistently shoot under 1 MOA.:mrgreen:

I will hang my head in shame. :oops: :oops:
I understand that, and my favorite target load will take down a deer also up to about 100 yards depending on the shot placement. Oh and that is 13 gr of Trailboss behind a 405 gr cast bullet. Pretty accurate also out that far but would be a bit more effective to 75 ft in which is about my range regardless of the gun or caliber. Unique would also do it also at about the same ranges.
Joe