My New Rio Grande .30-30

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
RaineWalker

My New Rio Grande .30-30

Post by RaineWalker »

I had been looking to buy a lever action, so I've been researching the Marlin 336 in .30-30. I came across the Rossi Rio Grande la liked the looks. Had not decided what I wanted. The previous Saturday was a bad day, so I figured I need to have a little retail therapy, was at the gun shop and looking through the lever actions, they had a stainless steel Rio Grande .30-30. The rifle looked good the fit and finish was excellent, so as part of my therapy I bought it. The price was about half of what they wanted for a Marlin 336.

Got it home, wiped down the rifle applied some lube. I then ran snap caps through the rifle about 50 times, the action is smooth had no problems there was no jams or binding of the action.

I noticed that the stain from the stock was on my hand. So I wiped down the stock with a couple of coats of furniture oil, that only managed to take of most of the stain. I'll just need to refinish wood in the future.

The sling swivel stud in the stock needs a spacer as it turns to far.

Took it to the range today, fire fired a few rounds off hand. Recoil was mild with just a slight push, very comfortable to fire. The sights a not bad, but could use a quality peep sight or a scope.

Over all I find that it is a quality rifle, and a very reasonable price. I do not have buyer remorse. I will be looking a Rossi 92 in .454 in the future.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by RaineWalker on 23 Sep 2012 00:10, edited 2 times in total.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Got a Rio Grande .30-30

Post by pricedo »

RaineWalker wrote:I had been looking to buy a lever action, so I've been researching the Marlin 336 in .30-30. I came across the Rossi Rio Grande la liked the looks. Had not decided what I wanted. The previous Saturday was a bad day, so I figured I need to have a little retail therapy, was at the gun shop and looking through the lever actions, they had a stainless steel Rio Grande .30-30. The rifle looked good the fit and finish was excellent, so as part of my therapy I bought it. The price was about half of what they wanted for a Marlin 336.

Got it home, wiped down the rifle applied some lube. I then ran snap caps through the rifle about 50 times, the action is smooth had no problems there was no jams or binding of the action.

I noticed that the stain from the stock was on my hand. So I wiped down the stock with a couple of coats of furniture oil, that only managed to take of most of the stain. I'll just need to refinish wood in the future.

The sling swivel stud in the stock needs a spacer as it turns to far.

Took it to the range today, fire fired a few rounds off hand. Recoil was mild with just a slight push, very comfortable to fire. The sights a not bad, but could use a quality peep sight or a scope.

Over all I find that it is a quality rifle, and a very reasonable price. I do not have buyer remorse. I will be looking a Rossi 92 in .454 in the future.http://www.rossi-rifleman.com/posting.p ... =post&f=11#
Have a Rio Grande in 30-30.
Put a little 1.5-4x33mm Bushnell "Trophy" scope on it.
The Bushnell "Trophy" scopes serve as my on-the-cheap Leupolds (1/2 the money of a Leupold "Rifleman" which is my go-to hunting scope) for rifles like the Rio Grande 30-30 where recoil shock is almost nonexistent......anything that kicks 30-06 level & above gets a real Leupold.
This gun has consistently given me < 1MOA 3-shot groups @ 100 yd with the factory LeveRevolution 160 grain FTX ammo.
The only problem with mine NIB was that it was full of a mixture of cosmoline, machining & drilling cuttings & dirt and had to be stripped, cleaned & lubricated.
It cleaned up well and is one of the most accurate & certainly the smoothest cycling gun I own.
What a little gem ! :D :D
Last edited by pricedo on 18 Sep 2012 20:52, edited 2 times in total.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Welcome! My personal feeling is the Rio Grande is as slick as it gets. No doubt the stainless and wood rifles are beautiful. A Stainless 454 sitting next to it would look real good! I just wish they would start their product run up again.

If you are interested in peep sights, I would give Skinners a look see. A bit expensive but I'm sure worth every penny. They are available in stainless to match your receiver.

Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Variety is the spice of life

Post by pricedo »

We all love our Rio Grandes but for a little more variety in choice I'd like to see Rossi clone the Winchester 1894 in 30-30.
A Rossi 1886 & a ' 71 in the original 348 Winchester would also be nice complements to the 336 & 92 clones. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:A Rossi 1886 & a ' 71 in the original 348 Winchester would also be nice complements to the 336 & 92 clones. :mrgreen:
O' Lord! Don't mess with my emotions! I'd be on them like a fox on a cricket!
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:
pricedo wrote:A Rossi 1886 & a ' 71 in the original 348 Winchester would also be nice complements to the 336 & 92 clones. :mrgreen:
O' Lord! Don't mess with my emotions! I'd be on them like a fox on a cricket!
I'm sure Rossi could bring those guns to market for 1/2 the Winchester Rumps outrageous MSRP.
$1500 for a new age '71, $1350 for a '94.........though I am enthralled by the concept of the 20" takedown '94 in 450 Marlin that weighs 6.5 pounds (not a misprint ...6.5 pounds for a 450 Marlin carbine !).
I probably would have caved and bought the 450 Marlin takedown 94 had it not been for the ported muzzle.......the same mistake Marlin made with their first run of Guide Guns.
I just can't see many people paying that kind of money for Miroku Winchester legacy clones.
One dealer I spoke to doesn't stock the Japchesters cause their just not moving but any Rossi clones that have appeared on his racks have been snapped up within 24 hours.
A 20" Rossi 92 in 45LC with a case hardened receiver was gone before it had time to cast a shadow.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
RaineWalker

Post by RaineWalker »

Hi Guys,

Update: I took my new rifle to the range to test fire it. Report it works beautifully. The recoil is mild, and the action is slick as butter. Sorry no pictures of the target just putting a few rounds down range. :D

Today I picked up a Bushnell Trophy XLT 3-9x40 scope got a good deal $89.00 and a set of Burris ZEE rings, medium that are nickel. Mounted the scope today, now I need to go out to the range. 8-)

again Attache are a couple of pictures

RaineWalker
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: My New Rio Grande .30-30

Post by pricedo »

Good rifle .........good scope...............Congratulations.
I put a Bushnell Trophy 1.5-4x33mm on my "blue" Rossi Rio Grande in 30-30..........deadly accurate combination.
I considered a 3-9x40mm Trophy but thought the magnification range, smaller size and bulk of the 1.5-4x scope was more appropriate for the 150-200 yd maximum effective range for this caliber on big game.
Much better chance of seeing a deer at 50 yids than at 250 yd where I hunt with the 1.5x setting being the most useful by far. :D
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: My New Rio Grande .30-30

Post by Ranch Dog »

Very nice looking!
Michael