Pyrodex loads

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Pyrodex loads

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

NavyDoc76-80 wrote:I ask permission to bend the rules a little in keeping true to the forum. It's relevant in that I'm in a test stage. Mr surveyors, kiwis interest in the use of pyrodex prompts me to right this. Last weekend I took a 357 black hawk to the range to test 6 rounds (only) of the 3F pyrodex filled cartridges. Since I primarily wanted to use this round in my new Rossi, it was like I said a test. The findings will also give me insight on difference cleaning as the Blackhawks is blued and my Rossi is in stainless. First, they fired flawlessly. I used a volume measurement of 1cc Pyrodex P FFFG, and seated a Snakebite Greasewagen flate nose lead cast bullet. If interested , I can give you company name, etc via private contact. This combo put a perfect compression on the powder with no need for a wad, and the extra heavy lube groove truly did prevent any noticeable leading. Now at first glance, yeah it looks nasty black, the cases come out highly stained as well. Cleaning..... I used a water soaked patch then sprayed Balistol on the patch, it took no more time to clean then normal. Since it was only these 6 cases I experimented with a light vinegar solution and dish soap soak. It removed some staining but don't think it was needed in the long run. I fired another 30 rounds of 357 in the pistol and those 30 cases were stained nearly as bad as my first six with Pyrodex. All said and done, the 6 and 30 cases cleaned up equally in the Sonic machine. I have 44 rounds equal to the 6 mention ready to go to test in the Rossi. Weather permitting I will do this tomorrow .
This is from another thread that I thought might be worth stating here to discuss the use of black powder substitutes in brass cases. There was one main reason why I ventured into this, ....availability of "regular pistol powder" where I live it is as scarce as hens teeth. So I started the study of using BP substitute and find it is common in some circles ie: SASS and CAS clubs. Reloading is simple compared to weighed charges, as BP is measured by volume and not weight. The more I looked in to it the more excited I got in the anticipation of how BP works. When I have time, I will add some quotes from a book I have written in 82', published by the NRA, it explains very clearly the benefits of using Pyrodex, as well as it's safety factors compared to real black powder. I know there are some whom wouldn't even talk to a BP substitute user, to them it's real black powder or nothing. Well, I think that in itself would make for good discussion. One fact I have to add from memory about the write up in the NRA book is that the guy only invented pyrodex about 3 or 4 years before this had been published, and it said its properties were secret or unknown at that time. I thought that was intriguing.
So until later, happy shooting.....one last thing, I didn't mention above that the rounds are in 38 sp and the cast bullet is 158gr.
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Pyrodex loads

Post by akuser47 »

Sounds good I look forward to learning this. I have almost always seen pyrodex on shelves. So it could really be handy. Keep us posted.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

Well, I think I just crashed the server trying to input a article I new was long but gave it a shot anyway. So I will push on, not wanting to be defeated and just highlight snippets of the article so those interested can learn a little about the use of Pyrodex.
"In the early 1970's Dan Pawlek invented Pyrodex with similar ballistic characteristics of black powder."
"Advantage, less susceptible to accidental ignition"
"Pyrodex is distributed by Hodgdon in four different forms of use"
"Fouling much reduced com paired to black powder"
"Pyrodex is corrosive and must be cleaned up using similar methods of black powder use"
"Use of water or water based solvents works best"
"Better shot to shot uniformity and ballistics"
Well that's it in a nut shell, it works great in my 38 loads.....happy shooting
Ref : Handloading, published by NRA, 1982, written by WM C Davis Jr
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Thanks again you are fast becoming a very good resource for us all. Good stuff.
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

My pleasure, I love this craft
Dave M
--//--
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

Wish I had more to report, but just made it back test firing the Pyrodex loads and I can say it's very smooth feeling, clean up as previously mentioned, a breeze. I want to get some chronograph numbers for you. It's been said I should get around 950. Buddy has one to do this with, it's just being able to be free at the same time.
Dave M
--//--
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

I was thinking about going behind what I said about what to expect in the Pyrodex load. I think that is wrong, and is more likely for the 357 loads. Also discovered that Hodgdon has removed the Pyrodex data for metallic cartridges....interesting
Dave M
--//--
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I bet loading by volume had their lawyers haveing panick attacks. Which i can understand. Alot can go wrong for a rookie to volume loads.
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

True if that powder isn't compressed bad things happen
Dave M
--//--
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
Zippidydoodah

Post by Zippidydoodah »

Can you explain what happens when the powder is not compressed. I know you are supposed to tamp the bullet down. Is pyrodex as bad as BP in this regard? What if you had 1/8" clearance between bullet and powder? Thanks, much to learn sbout BP