Tang Sights ? will a Marlin 336 model fit ?

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
Jacko

Tang Sights ? will a Marlin 336 model fit ?

Post by Jacko »

G/Day Folks, I do not have the Rifle to have a good look and take some measurments as I am yet to take delivery. The Gunshop told me last night that the Shipment of 45.70 Rio Grande's they have been waiting for is in Country and waiting for Customs to clear them, should be in Stock mid next week. Then I have a 3 or 4 week wait for my Permit To Aqquire to be processed and I'll be able to pick mine up. Yep Australian Firearms laws are BS !!

Down to business - Have any of you Folks fitted a Tang Sight to your Rio Grande and if so are they Drilled / Tapped and which Screw set did you use ?? Will a Tang Sight for a Marlin 336 fit, or is there enough room on the Tang for another Model Tang Sight. I have a Lyman Tang on my Rossi M92 .357 and love it

I do have a Leupold VX3 1 - 5 X 20 on my 35.303 SMLE that I was thinking of putting on the Rio Grande but I cant bring myself to Scope my Levers, when my Eyes are gone, for sure, but not now. I have also considered a Skinner Receiver Mounted Peep and I did read someone had mounted a Wiliams Peep on their Rio Grande but would prefer a Tang Sight.

regards Jacko
"To my deep mortification my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

-Charles Darwin
JBox818

Re: Tang Sights ? will a Marlin 336 model fit ?

Post by JBox818 »

Can't say whether or not that specific tang sight will work, I do have a 45/70 rio grande and after shooting it I too am looking for a better open sights option. I found a peep sight that should work however it is mounted on top of the reciever using the existing drilled and tapped holes, there are two options made by a company called "skinner sights"
The full size sight:
http://www.skinnersights.com/rossi_firearms_23.html
The low profile sight:
http://www.skinnersights.com/lo-pro_sight_7.html
They seem pretty interesting, I am very tempted to order one, but just as you I would like to find a report from someone who has tried them to see if the work and work well...

Please let us know how your rio grande sights develop, if you found some that work or hear of any that do.