Baikal Model MP-221 Artemida Side–by–Side Rifle .45-70

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Baikal Model MP-221 Artemida Side–by–Side Rifle .45-70

Post by pricedo »

I always wanted a double rifle but could never justify laying down enough money to buy a upbeat pick-up truck on a whim that would likely be fired twice and become another 2 or 3 square feet of dusting real-estate in the safe mostly because of the weight factor.
Spotted a special deal on a Baikal Model MP-221 Artemida Side–by–Side Rifle in .45-70 GVT NIB for $840 which is the cheapest by $300 - $400 than I have ever seen them anywhere.
Looked at the online reviews and found them to be quite favorable with the odd harsh detraction by the usual internet parrots who have never held the gun they were bashing in their hands. :evil:
2 surprising things..........the price for one is $400 cheaper than they usually sell for......secondly the gun weighs in at around 7 pounds ! (a selling feature for me)......I expected 9 - 12 pounds for a large bore double.
I am not new to the Baikal brand of guns.
I own a Baikal IZH-94 O/U (12 gauge/.308 Win) and have taken many upland game birds & I deer with it.
The .308 Win barrel is very accurate.
The Ruskies got the fit & finish right the first time.
The gun was shooting at the range (and finished the range session in 1 piece) on the same day I bought it with no tune-up or parts replacement with 3rd party components necessary and in that regard the Baikal brand is heads above Rossi and the post takeover Remlins.
These guns ain't fancy and are built like tanks.
That is 1 box I'm looking forward to opening.
Kinda makes the abandonment of the "buy American" paradigm complete when you buy a gun made by our old cold war adversaries. :roll:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Baikal Model MP-221 Artemida Side–by–Side Rifle .45-70

Post by akuser47 »

I agree I have never had any issues with their shotguns I have had.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Sounds great and look forward to your shooting report! I just turned a Savage 411 (built byt Baikal) and it was a great double. I just wasn't shooting it and my FFL wanted it for his personal use.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:Sounds great and look forward to your shooting report! I just turned a Savage 411 (built byt Baikal) and it was a great double. I just wasn't shooting it and my FFL wanted it for his personal use.
So much for the "made in America" Savage myth. ;)
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Opened the box today of my new Baikal Model MP-221 Artemida Side–by–Side Rifle.

Initial NIB assessment:
Wood & wood finish - A
Checkering - A - very sharp cut & well defined lines - doesn't have that "stamped" look
W/M fit - A
M/M fit & lock up - A
Bluing & finish - A
Triggers - B+ - about 3.5 pounds - not the 7-8 pounds some of the internet forum posts spoke of
Sights - B+ - nothing fancy but pretty decent - they were lined up perfectly when I shouldered the gun
Workmanship - B+ - she ain't no Westley Richards or H&H and for a price tag of < $900 I don't expect it to be but I am positively impressed with this gun :D
Weight & portability - great - less than 7 pounds for a big bore SxS double !! - believe it or not Ripley !!

Comments: the wood, checkering, W/M fit & triggers of this gun were far superior to that on most of the current Remington made Marlins I've seen in the last year on the racks of various gun shops

Problems: the break open action latch and tang toggle switch and the fore-end assembly and release arm were so stiff and tight out of the box I could hardly move them to assemble the gun (the gun came disassembled in a 3.5 ft long box). Pulling the gun apart to clean & lubricate it was almost impossible but I got it done & with a thorough lubing & lots of "armstrong" things are starting to work loose with repeated opening & closing. I don't like to use grinding compound on a stiff break-open action latch as some suggest because excess play in that latch affects safe lock-up and that is the last place you want to wear on a break-open action firearm. I will work it loose & let nature take its course in the fullness of time.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Pictures to follow?
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:Pictures to follow?
As soon as I can dig one of the digital cameras out of the rest of the junk in my pick-up & get it operational.
Probably within 48 hrs.
It's an impressive rifle.
The only glitch being the stiff break open latch.........but it is noticeably looser now after 50 or so pumps than it was NIB.
Recessed crowns & chrome lined barrels.....all more than I expected.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:Recessed crowns & chrome lined barrels.....all more than I expected.
Sounds very nice.
Michael
Quinc
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Quinc »

This thing sounds sweet! Post some pics already! And post a video of you firing both barrels at the same time. 8-)
"Everyone has a plan tell they get punched in the face." -Mike Tyson
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Quinc wrote:This thing sounds sweet! Post some pics already! And post a video of you firing both barrels at the same time. 8-)
Like I said ...,....it isn't a $40,000 Westley Richards.
So don't expect gold inlaid scrollwork .......you won't find it on a < $900 utility gun.
It's a well built and attractive for an el cheapo double rifle.
Now if it shoots it will be even better. ;)
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA