Marlin 1894C (pre safety) vs Rossi M94 (2013 gun)

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
JimBianchi

Marlin 1894C (pre safety) vs Rossi M94 (2013 gun)

Post by JimBianchi »

I've had the M92 for a year and half and can honestly say its a great gun, even better after the action job I did on it. (400/800/1200 grit on all the metal-to-metal parts) Nightmare to re-assemble but now its a little dream to shoot.) After over a thousand rounds I can safely say I really love it and won't sell it.

My new to me Marlin 1894 carbine, pre-safety 357, is in like new condition. I thought the seller was telling tall tales when he said his father bought it new in the early 1980's and never fired it. He inherited it and never fired it. Well, after close examination with a magnifier I can say I think it was never fired. Had a small safe make on the barrel and a few pressure marks on the wood, that's it. Not one screw has ever been touched.

Seller had done his research so it was no steal, but I had to have it.

Marlin overall is nicer than the Rossi. Better blue, better wood, better sights. Out of the box better action also. Surprising, both loading gates suck hard.

But with my military discount I could buy two of the Rossi's for what one of the Marlin's go for normally. And for $2 worth of sandpaper and four hours work I'd say the Rossi can be just has good a shooter has a Marlin.

(Now my Winchester 94 (30-30) is a different animal all together. 1991 Limited addition 28 inch cowboy gun with an action custom guns dream of. It's a longer action, but wow, smoooooth is an understatement. And accurate.)

Looking forward to shooting the 357's side by side tomorrow.

Last edited by JimBianchi on 13 May 2014 00:19, edited 1 time in total.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Marlin 1894C (pre safety) vs Rossi M94 (2013 gun)

Post by Ranch Dog »

Nice looking rifle! I recently sold a Marlin 1894C (357 Mag) & S (45 Colt) as I had not shot them since buying my R92s in like cartridges.
Michael
JimBianchi

Re: Marlin 1894C (pre safety) vs Rossi M94 (2013 gun)

Post by JimBianchi »

The Marlin shoots great. Point of aim with most ammo and a really nice group Leverevelution 140grn.

The Rossi still shines because of the action and trigger job I did. But the Marlin doesn't have as far to go to be really sweet.

I dropped it off at Wild West Guns here in Vegas to have one of there custom triggers installed and have the loading gate adjusted. Should make a world of difference.

Love me some leverguns.