Uberti .45 Colt

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
Strawdawg

Uberti .45 Colt

Post by Strawdawg »

A nephew came down from Midland on Saturday and picked up an Uberti 1873 .45 colt from my LGS. It is a full octagon, 24", straight stock sporting rifle. It is heavy but handled well. The action was very tight and very smooth and cycled well.

He had several boxes of various ammo. We quickly discovered that it did not like the Lever Revolution from Hornady as the tips made it a hair long. A razor blade fixed that issue in short order. Everything else we tried cycled perfectly.

We shot it only off hand but the accuracy seemed quite good and we had fun ringing gongs with it. It is a beautiful gun and the recoil was basically non-existent so I guess the weight of the octagon barrel is worth something. The 24" barrel was not as awkward as I had expected but I would prefer 20" if I were buying one, I think. Just easier to handle...

Shot a box of 30-30's in my RG and that made the recoil difference apparent. The recoil of the .45 was much more like the .38 in my 16" 92 in comparison.

The Uberti is a work of art :)
Steve

East of Eden on Tasajillo Hill
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Uberti .45 Colt

Post by akuser47 »

Nice I have looked at those when cdnn had alot of them in their inveentory.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Uberti .45 Colt

Post by Missionary »

Greetings
The 24 inch Octo's are nice shooting off cross sticks but I sure do not want to lug one around all day. Having the 20 inch or shorter carbines really spoils a person to the place where longer barrels feel out of place.
Had a 24 inch Win 1892 44 WCF out with me once for a walk and that was the last time to go. Those extra 2 pounds have no advantage except tp remind me there was a 19 inch carbine sitting at home that should have been outside enjoying the desert sun.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.