Peep Sight Safety Prototype

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Peep Sight Safety Prototype

Post by akuser47 »

klr wrote:So, I decided to go ahead and modify my daughter's safety. I tried to drill it but just dulled my bit. I tried another new drill bit and just dulled it too. Barely make a mark on the safety. This safety is HARD. The other one drilled like butter. So what's up with the inconsistent hardness of these parts? Now I'm wondering what other parts did or didn't get the proper heat treatment?
That is scary keep us posted.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

akuser47 wrote: That is scary keep us posted.
Well, I'm finished working with this one. There is no way I can drill it, let alone tap it.
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

I shortened the prototype to where it should be be and painted it. Looks much better and should have the 92 hitting point of aim instead of way high. I haven't had any luck getting another safety so I'm going to fire up the lathe and make a safety plug from scratch.

pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

The sight looks a lot trimmer & neater than the prototype.......it looks good !!
No adjustment mechanisms for elevation or windage?
Guess if you're shooting the same load all the time that wouldn't be an issue. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

Yes, once I develop a good hunting load I'll stick with it. "Adjustment" will be via screwing on a new sight blade. Shouldn't take long to make three or four L-shaped pieces with three holes drilled in them.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

klr wrote:Yes, once I develop a good hunting load I'll stick with it. "Adjustment" will be via screwing on a new sight blade. Shouldn't take long to make three or four L-shaped pieces with three holes drilled in them.

I don't develop many loads any more.
Factory ammo is as good as (or better than what) most of us can handload these days.
For my moderate velocity guns I find the green box Core-Lokt ammo is as good as any and it can be bought quite cheaply during off hunting season sales.
I've got 30 boxes of 170 grain 30-30 Win Core-Lokt ammo stashed away that I bought for $12 a box (@20 rounds) this winter after the deer season.
Will likely never have to buy 30-30 ammo again.
Then again I'm not a weekend noise maker.........when I pull the trigger on a CF rifle I've usually got game in my sights.
I do my target practise with the 22LR RF firearms.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I've seen more problem rounds the past couple three years than before.

1 Remington .30-06 where the brass was not fully processed and would not chamber in push feed rifles but could be force chambered in a Mauser style action.

1 Remington Golder Bullet .22 LR possibly overcharged blew a spring out of a buddy's SR22 Ruger.

1 Remington .38 Special squib load jammed a buddy's 2" 686.

Recall on Winchester .22 LR M22 ammunition:
http://www.winchester.com/library/news/ ... ecall.aspx

1 Federal .45-70 Govt uncrimped round impacted in a tube fed gun.

Several brands of 9mm that failed to function.

4" groups out of 150 grain .308 green box out of a CZ-550 Varmit at 50 yards.
165 grain Federal and 168 grain Silver State punched 1/2" groups at the same target.
(When I can get the components I'll be loading 175gr Berger bullets for this and the M1A Loaded. Until then I'll be running 168 gr Sierras.)

Plus the dollar a round or more cost for .44 Mag recently and $18-20/box on .30-30 will keep me loading for a while. I remember when Federal was selling .30-30s for about $12 per box of 24. Three 8 round short holders rather than the two 10 round ones.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Maybe Remington likes me.........I can count the dud rounds experienced while using their CL & other ammo over 40 years of hunting/shooting & many cleanly harvested big game animals on the fingers of 1 hand.
Pretty decent quality consistency these days with Federal, Nosler, Winchester, C-I-L/Dominion (company is gone now......I still have a few boxes kicking around) & with other factory ammo as well. Factory ammo manufactured within the past 15 years is generally of high quality.
I shot side by side with a hunting buddy last weekend who considers it sacrilege to shoot factory ammo ......his 1/2 MOA (bar room targets :lol: ) groups expanded somewhat on the actual range targets and I don't think he scored a 3-shot group (scoped 30-06) under 1 1/2" @ 100 yards all afternoon (attributed to snow glare :lol: ).
$18 - $20 / box IS a lot if you're a weekend noise & hole maker who likes to blow of 100 or 200 rounds.
200 rounds of hp cf ammo would last me a lifetime.
I like my targets to have hooves, antlers & a heart beat (before the shot). :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA