Large loop lever to retrofit a new 92

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Airwolf

Large loop lever to retrofit a new 92

Post by Airwolf »

So, I've been looking everywhere for a large loop lever for my new 92 with no luck.

In a wild fit of logic, I called Rossi's service department to see if I could buy the lever from them. The technician who identified himself as a Taurus rep had no idea what I was talking about so I suggested he ask his manager. He then informed me that his manager said the they don't sell large loop levers for the 92. I asked how that could be when they advertise rifles with the large loop on their website and he said that the large loop lever could not be retrofitted as the guns with that lever are special built to take it. I politely told him to never mind.

I sent Steve (Steve's Gunz) an email and told him of my experience. He said (also politely) that they have no idea what they are talking about and to go ahead and buy the loop from Rossi since he had no inventory.

As I have put a scout scope on the rifle (old eyes), I think it would look silly with the large loop so have abandoned the idea.

How do those boys stay in business?

Jeff
Jeff
twobitokie
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Large loop lever to retrofit a new 92

Post by twobitokie »

I got mine from Steve, used it once and did not care for it. removed and sold. mayhaps on a Ranch hand but not on a rifle. For me at least.
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

You might contact Steve Gunz at https://store.stevesgunz.com/index.php? ... contact_us he used to sell them though I've never seen they listed. You can also try Legacy Sports here http://www.legacysports.com/products/puma_m92.html they might sell you the lever.
Joe
Airwolf

Post by Airwolf »

I contacted Steve and he doesn't have any. Rossi has them, they just don't understand their products.

In any case, I don't need it anymore.

Jeff
Jeff
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Airwolf wrote:So, I've been looking everywhere for a large loop lever for my new 92 with no luck.

In a wild fit of logic, I called Rossi's service department to see if I could buy the lever from them. The technician who identified himself as a Taurus rep had no idea what I was talking about so I suggested he ask his manager. He then informed me that his manager said the they don't sell large loop levers for the 92. I asked how that could be when they advertise rifles with the large loop on their website and he said that the large loop lever could not be retrofitted as the guns with that lever are special built to take it. I politely told him to never mind.

I sent Steve (Steve's Gunz) an email and told him of my experience. He said (also politely) that they have no idea what they are talking about and to go ahead and buy the loop from Rossi since he had no inventory.

As I have put a scout scope on the rifle (old eyes), I think it would look silly with the large loop so have abandoned the idea.

How do those boys stay in business?

Jeff
They just blew you off cause they couldn't be bothered.
The manager probably wasn't making much more than the states statutory minimum wage.
Dirt cheap wages, no benefits or pension plan doesn't buy much company loyalty or product dedication.
The scuttlebutt is that the Remlin plant workers in NYS are making $8/hr with no benefits.
I expect that Rossi is in the same league.
No wonder they're stuffing the new gun boxes with thrown together junk.
It's a wonder that any salvageable guns at all make it to gun store racks.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Airwolf

Post by Airwolf »

I agree with you to some extent...

It looked more like the problem revolved around the acquisition of Rossi by Taurus. The guy on the phone said as much when he claimed nearly total ignorance of Rossi products.
The same is probably true of his manager. As such, I'll cut him a little slack.

My rifle seemed to work pretty well out of the box but, of course, the action was rough, springs too tight, and some pretty poor machining/fitting and an almost total lack of de-burring of drilled holes were evident once I got it apart.

A little filing and stoning along with a new spring kit left me with a rifle I can be proud of. One-finger operation is now smooth as silk. BTW, the worst drill burs were in the trigger section and what a difference fixing that made.

On the other hand, if your not handy or don't have the right tools and the Steve's Gunz video, you almost always have turn it over to a gunsmith for tuning which is almost your only choice for a lever gun in pistol calibers.

Happy shooting,

Jeff
Jeff
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Airwolf wrote:I agree with you to some extent...

It looked more like the problem revolved around the acquisition of Rossi by Taurus. The guy on the phone said as much when he claimed nearly total ignorance of Rossi products.
The same is probably true of his manager. As such, I'll cut him a little slack.

My rifle seemed to work pretty well out of the box but, of course, the action was rough, springs too tight, and some pretty poor machining/fitting and an almost total lack of de-burring of drilled holes were evident once I got it apart.

A little filing and stoning along with a new spring kit left me with a rifle I can be proud of. One-finger operation is now smooth as silk. BTW, the worst drill burs were in the trigger section and what a difference fixing that made.

On the other hand, if your not handy or don't have the right tools and the Steve's Gunz video, you almost always have turn it over to a gunsmith for tuning which is almost your only choice for a lever gun in pistol calibers.

Happy shooting,

Jeff
I actually asked a local gunsmith I trusted about doing the job and let him watch the video first. He came back and told me he could do it for about $30 to $40 in about 3 days. I almost went with it but wanted to try it myself. He told me if I screwed it up he could fix it for parts if needed in about an hour which he would charge me about $10 to $20 for.

Oh yes and Rossi does make a big loop lever that is on their M92 if you view their page under lever guns so they do sell the parts.
Joe
Airwolf

Post by Airwolf »

Go for it. But first, a few tips:

1. The ejector spring that comes with the kit is too long. That is, while it works fine after assembly, the actual installation of the spring is a bear. I recommend you buy the spring stock and cut it down as recommended by Steve's Gunz unless you enjoy being on your hands and knees looking for that spring bushing that gets launched into orbit.
2. While replacing the trigger return spring, see if the trigger moves smoothly on its pin. If not, stone around the drilled hole the pin rides in to remove burrs.
3. You MUST make some dummy cartridges (or at least a spent shell casing) to hold the spring engaged until you can get the bolt pin back in.

It's not hard and is a great way to learn the innards of your gun.

Happy shooting
Jeff