Chiappa Takedown Mare's Leg in .44 Mag

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Chiappa Takedown Mare's Leg in .44 Mag

Post by pricedo »

I bought a Chiappa Takedown Mare's Leg in .44 Mag with a 12" octagonal barrel for a little over $1000.
I didn't get a Ranch Hand because they don't have a Takedown version.
I put a Picatinny rail on the 12" barrel and mounted a Bushnell 2-6x33mm pistol scope on Warne QD mounts on the rail.
The iron sights can be used with the scope dismounted.
I found a nylon pile boot for a golf club that fits over the stump of the Mare's Leg and the cleft in the boot allows the finger lever to properly bottom out on the stock.
The thick nylon pile boot makes a comfortable recoil pad that allows me to tuck the stump under my chin and sight through the scope for 1 1/2" groups with the 225 grain .44 Mag LeveRevolution factory ammo while still retaining my full complement of teeth.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Chiappa Takedown Mare's Leg in .44 Mag

Post by pricedo »

Here's the Chiappa Takedown Mare's Leg taken down.

The whole chebang (stump, fore-end, barrel, magazine, scope, golf club boot recoil pad) all fit into an ordinary business sized brief case along with 4 boxes of ammo, cleaning equipment and a corn husk filled sandbag for the fore-end to sit on).

It is easy to aim with the nylon booted stump tucked under my chin & I get 1 1/2" groups at 50 yards with it.

Good for inconspicuous carry while traveling in urban areas if you don't like answering "Whaddya got a gun fer" questions from mindless hotel clerks and taxi drivers.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:The thick nylon pile boot makes a comfortable recoil pad that allows me to tuck the stump under my chin and sight through the scope for 1 1/2" groups with the 225 grain .44 Mag LeveRevolution factory ammo while still retaining my full complement of teeth.
That, is about as slick as it can get! I bet this outfit could knock some teeth out!
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:
pricedo wrote:The thick nylon pile boot makes a comfortable recoil pad that allows me to tuck the stump under my chin and sight through the scope for 1 1/2" groups with the 225 grain .44 Mag LeveRevolution factory ammo while still retaining my full complement of teeth.
That, is about as slick as it can get! I bet this outfit could knock some teeth out!
It definitely could do some damage if it wasn't for the thick nylon pile the golf club boot is made of.

As it is I could fire the thing all day and not be harmed by recoil.

I just secure the boot clad stump under my chin & against my collar bone to hold it solid and sight using the long eye relief pistol scope.

It's a surprisingly accurate little piece and when broken down attracts no more attention than an ordinary business brief case which it is.

You could be sitting at a Brady Campaign board meeting and nobody would have a clue that a full functional rifle was in the case.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Warhawk
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Warhawk »

Wow, Gorgeous gun! If it weren't for our silly gun laws that baby would be as versatile as a Contender.

Are all of those Chiappa guns that good looking? The only one I've seen in person was a RIFLEMAN commemorative a couple of years ago, and it was inside a glass case. I don't remember it being as nice as yours.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Warhawk wrote:Wow, Gorgeous gun! If it weren't for our silly gun laws that baby would be as versatile as a Contender.

Are all of those Chiappa guns that good looking? The only one I've seen in person was a RIFLEMAN commemorative a couple of years ago, and it was inside a glass case. I don't remember it being as nice as yours.
Yah, that's a nice piece of Walnut for sure. Any Chiappas I've seen have real nice furniture.
The W/M fit is immaculate.
I like the case hardened receiver (real not fake).
The action was butter smooth out of the box and the gun will fire any .44 Mag ammo I tried in it flawlessly.
No characteristic Rossi "Brown Caccca Gunk" to scrub out of the action, bore or magazine & no rough spots, burrs or blemishes to polish off & fix up.
Of course the Chiappa gun is double the price of its Rossi counterpart as well.
It was a real treat to have a range or field ready gun OUT OF THE BOX.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA