Stubborn screw in Winchester 1892

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
Rtbender

Stubborn screw in Winchester 1892

Post by Rtbender »

One of my dads buddies saw a picture of my Rossi 92 and said "hey I've got one of those you should check it out for me." What he brought to me was a surprise, he had a 1920s Winchester 1892 sporting. Looked like it hadn't been cleaned for 60 years so I took it home and now I'm regretting it. Every part of the disassembly has been extremely difficult. Right now I'm fighting the main spring screw and I could use some suggestions. I tried heating it with no luck and also let it soak in liquid wrench penetration oil for a few hours, that didn't work either.

Should I soak it in penetration oil for longer? How long?

I found another forum post for a magazine screw where someone soaked it over night in motor oil. Will someone please shared their methods with me?

If worse comes to worse does anyone know where I can find a replacement screw?
Conman

Re: Stubborn screw in Winchester 1892

Post by Conman »

Well, sorry to hear about the bad problems!!!

I'm no help on removing the screw; although most people I read about let the Kroil set for a day or so to really soak in to get tough screws/bolts loose.

However, here is a link to parts for 92's: http://homesteadparts.com/shopcart/Winchester_1892.htm

Hope you don't have to use them.

Luck
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I would give the oil time most the liqiud wrench say 24 hours for good penetration. Give it time it should get it loose for you. I have worked on alot of original 1892's lately and it took time to soak for them to give it up to me so that I could get inside them give it time they will give.
Edited to add most penetraing oils state in the their directions to give it 24 hours for stuburn screws Namely PB or LW. I do think PB works faster and better.
Last edited by akuser47 on 22 Dec 2013 06:10, edited 1 time in total.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Rtbender

Post by Rtbender »

I let it set in the penetrating oil for about 36 hours and still couldn't budge it with a screw driver. I ended up filing down a bit for my electric impact driver and it zipped right out.

Conan, thanks for the parts website! I got lucky and won't need the screws but the extractor is giving me problems... Only wants to pull the round out 75% of the time. Prices seem fair enough, have you ordered from them in the past?
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Greetings
Over the years down here I have had 4 1892's, the newest being made in 1908. All have had a good amount of crud in the extractor channel in the top of the bolt. I would remove that first, clean and oil the channel. Having done that even my SRC made in 1893, a 44WCF works like new. Chomping a cookie while I jab keys. Always assume "crud" is the culprit with old firearms (Newer ones also) unless you see a broken part.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
Maximumbob54
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I cannot second Kroil enough. That stuff is like magic. No other oil I know of will start to lift out lead from a leaded barrel. I currently need to order more as I cannot find it local and that just galls me.
Rtbender

Post by Rtbender »

Never heard of kroil, I'll check it out in the future. I wiped the extractor channel out and was still having problems. I'm thinking a wire brush might solve it.

Thanks for the advise.
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

For loosening stuck/rusted parts I use PB Blaster. It s much more powerful than typical hardware or automotive penetrating oils. PB is all that will penetrate the sliding adjustment plates on my tractor's fertilizer spreader. Nitrogen fertilizer will rust them up in days. That rust laughs off any other penetrant. FWIW
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Rooster59 wrote:For loosening stuck/rusted parts I use PB Blaster. It s much more powerful than typical hardware or automotive penetrating oils. PB is all that will penetrate the sliding adjustment plates on my tractor's fertilizer spreader. Nitrogen fertilizer will rust them up in days. That rust laughs off any other penetrant. FWIW
I second PB and kroil awesome penetrating oils.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Conman

Post by Conman »

Rtbender wrote:I let it set in the penetrating oil for about 36 hours and still couldn't budge it with a screw driver. I ended up filing down a bit for my electric impact driver and it zipped right out.

Conan, thanks for the parts website! I got lucky and won't need the screws but the extractor is giving me problems... Only wants to pull the round out 75% of the time. Prices seem fair enough, have you ordered from them in the past?
Sorry I took so long. To get back.

Yes, I have ordered from them with no issues.

Good luck with the rifle.