Your furthest shot with a rimfire?

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Your furthest shot with a rimfire?

Post by akuser47 »

I have tuned and adjusted this savage 93 BVTS .17HMR added a single shot follower made by a guy on rimfirecentral and I love this gun so does my daughter for the money hard to beat. On a bet I shot a black bird out of a tree at 171 yards according to my bushnell 1300 acr rangefinder I turned it into a puff of feathers I won the bet and some cash. So what amazing things have you done that shocked even you with your rimfires. I have my 93 dialed in at 150yards pop cans blow up every shot lol love it. Tell me your tales so we can alll hear your stories. I have torn down the bolt polished everything that needed it and adjusted and polished the accutrigger even polished my single shot follower. My user name on that site is lightlead you can read about stuff I did to this rifle.I am thimking about polishing the barrel and actin to a chrome like finish just not sure I will like it I may do barrel first.+corn
Last edited by akuser47 on 17 Jul 2013 14:25, edited 1 time in total.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Your furthest shot with a rimfire?

Post by Model 52 »

I did a one shot-one kill number on a rabbit once hunting with some cousins at an estimated 200 yards. We paced it off later and got something close, but it's hard to pace accurately in drifted snow when you fall through every few steps. The fact was it was a rice paddy prone shot with cold fingers and some wind through a shelter belt at a guestimated range and the fact that I nailed it was mostly dumb luck.

I'm not a big fan of dumb luck and much prefer consistency and repeatability.

I play with 5" and 8" plates at between 200 and 250 yards pretty much every weekend, and I had fun with the 5" plate on Sunday at 200 yards. I shot prone off a bipod with a 7-10 mph from about 10 o'clock varying from half to full value. I used a CZ 453 with a VX-II 3-9x40 and SK Magazine ammo with 18 MOA of elevation up from a 100 yard zero and 3 MOA left windage. I was hitting the 5" plate about 95% of the time.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Marlin 39A with the Winchester White Box ammo (cheap). Coyote sitting there looking at me at 125 yards from back door of house. Wife said I wouldn't hit it but it I did, dead in the head. Luck I guess.
Michael
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

Around 100 yards from about 30 foot hillside elevated position, sitting on a "fast idling" tractor" (when I saw the coyote and stopped the tractor, I had just enough experience to know to run the idle speed up to equal the sound he heard before I came to a complete stop). The coyote was chasing field mice in the freshly bailed hay meadow I was moving rolls of hay from, and I always carried my 1890 Winchester "Shorts Only" 22 pump (mfg. around 1920) in the truck, on the tractor or wherever. First ranging shot, with the vibration of the tractor, landed about a foot in front of his nose, and since he didn't hear the impotent pop of the .22 short over the tractor noise, he went chasing the "dust mouse" in front of him. Second ranging shot went right under his belly into the dirt, and he chased that dust mouse as well. Third shot, right in the boiler, and amazingly he dropped like a sack of rocks. Dang thing was covered with fleas and mange, so much that the next day when I hauled him to the court house to pick up my $5 bounty, the county agent didn't even want the ears and tail :lol:

Gosh, that was probably 35 years ago.

surv
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Nice shooting +corn
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Greetings
One Saturday years back, went to the Hoopston Gun Show with a friend Herb. Traded for a New Ruger Mark II . After the show I dropped Herb off at his house and he wanted to see the Ruger. Somewher along the talk he handed the Ruger back. As we were talking some more he spotted a tree rat just climbing one of his birch trees along the ditch. Herb says.. Hey Mike.. Pop that tree rat. They have been chewing holes in my tractors wires. So I walked the copule steps to my car, loaded 3 rounds in the mag and chambered #1. First round struck at the tree rat's 11 oclock about 4 inches off the nose. Did some qiuck "kentuck windage" adjustment and the second round went through the chest. Herb starts shouting. "Ya did it, ya did it ". We paced it off at 57 long steps. That is my longest rimfire pistol critter to date. Herb claimed the varmit and happily ate it that evening.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Have the fancy stainless Ruger 10/22 with the heavy bull barrel and target trigger with a 3-9x40mm Leupold on top and Eley Tenex ammo (expensive but good).
A standing grouse or squirrel at 100 yards or farther is an easy shot......done it lots.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
izzyjoe

Post by izzyjoe »

i've shot my share of rabbit's out the back door with the marlin 22mag, mostly around 100yds, but some a little farther.
JimBianchi

Post by JimBianchi »

Best rimfire ever: 1989 in Alaska, Ruger MII 5.5in bull barrel, open sights, 40 yards off hand after running 50 yards after a bunny.

I put it in his chest, right in front of his shoulder.

Half a dozen of my friends were right with me, most could not even make out the rabbit in the foliage.

I held on him for 30 or 40 seconds before I shot.

Asked me why I took so long, I said I had to wait for him to blink to make sure I was aiming correctly. Until he moved or blinked I wasn't really sure I had him. The longer I waited, the more I was convinced he wasn't there! But he blinked.

Most important: 1981, HS senior wearing my western quick draw, low slung, hat and boots in the April heat in PHX, hunting rabbits and snakes in AZ near cave creek.

Carrying an H&R 22LR single action with a 7.5 inch barrel. I slung that gun all over the desert for a year, put tons of rounds and was a fairly fast & accurate on a quick draw.

Searching for snakes, I was looking under rocks and ledges with my buddy. He was using a 12g single shot and we had seen nothing in hours.

He climbed a flat rock and I looked in the crevice under it, just like we did a hundred times so far that day. I saw a skin shed and said hey, lets grab it!

I bend down farther and put my hand in, saw how long and perfect the skin was.....

Yeah, six feet down was the working end, two feet from my head.

I saw the head has he struck, I fell straight back and drew, shooting between my feet and knees (powder burns on one leg of my jeans) I put two in his head and neck, my buddy was screaming because I was shooting less than a foot below his feet!

Nice pelt I had on my hat for years. 11 rattles, so he was a big'un.

I only beat him to the punch because he had two chipmunks in him, slowing him down.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Great stories guys, keep them coming!
Michael