Linage of the Puma 92

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Linage of the Puma 92

Post by Ranch Dog »

This information was provided by pricedo in another topic but I felt it important enough that it be kept handy for others learning the linage of the Puma 92.
pricedo wrote:The company now known as LSI is a derivative of the defunct Interarms company.
Amadeo Rossi made the Puma rifle under contract with LSI for several years. When Taurus became involved with Amadeo Rossi & formed the Braztech Corporation the contract to supply the Puma rifle to LSI was terminated for whatever reason.
LSI then contracted Chiappa of Italy to manufacture a model 92 clone under the same Puma moniker for them. The current LSI Puma rifle is made by Chiappa of Italy.
In the space of a couple of years we have seen the same rifle Puma 92 available from the same reseller LSI made by 2 different manufacturers (Rossi and more recently Chiappa). The Chiappa version of the Puma rifle is considerably more expensive than the Rossi version of the Puma was.
Any topics involving the Puma 92s, other than of Chiappa manufacture, are appropriate to be placed here as they share the common Brazilian manufacturing heritage. Chiappa leverguns are discussed in "Non-Rossi Leverguns".

Thank you for the information pricedo!
Michael
Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Linage of the Puma 92

Post by Steelbanger »

I visited my nearby dealer this afternoon, seeking some jacketed bullets. On his gun rack he had a long barreled Rossi Puma M92 in 44 mag. I had to look at it and I must say it felt good with its nice heavy octagon barrel. The wood was all flush with the metal, something we don't see very often these days. It had a nickeled receiver, butt plate and end cap on the forend and only one stamping on the barrel, 44 Mag. I also noticed that it wasn't drilled/tapped for a receiver sight. On the upper tang the stamping read Imported for LSI, Las Vegas and the lower tang was marked Made in Brazil. The action felt really smooth for a new rifle which impressed me. The price was $495. and I would have snapped it up if it were a 357. Overall I like it. I wonder if I could borrow it tomorrow and take it to the range. Probably not so I won't bother asking.
Steelbanger, NRA Life
Annual Member PRPA
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
Warhawk
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Warhawk »

We need to remember that Rossi also made the 92 for Navy Arms, EMF, and Interarms. At least, there may be others that I'm not aware of.

Legacy Sports (LSI) really confused things when they started importing an Italian made 92 clone and kept the Puma name for it.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Steelbanger wrote:I visited my nearby dealer this afternoon, seeking some jacketed bullets. On his gun rack he had a long barreled Rossi Puma M92 in 44 mag. I had to look at it and I must say it felt good with its nice heavy octagon barrel. The wood was all flush with the metal, something we don't see very often these days. It had a nickeled receiver, butt plate and end cap on the forend and only one stamping on the barrel, 44 Mag. I also noticed that it wasn't drilled/tapped for a receiver sight. On the upper tang the stamping read Imported for LSI, Las Vegas and the lower tang was marked Made in Brazil. The action felt really smooth for a new rifle which impressed me. The price was $495. and I would have snapped it up if it were a 357. Overall I like it. I wonder if I could borrow it tomorrow and take it to the range. Probably not so I won't bother asking.
Isn't it nice to see a rifle without the owner's manual roll stamped on the barrel! The Rossi's do keep it very simple. I wanted the 357 Mag as well in the rifle I bought but they seem to be as few and far between as the Marlins chambered in that cartridge. Actually, I would have preferred the 16" barrel. That 4" of barrel makes a big difference in getting out the door of the tractor. Coyotes and hogs, all critters, just sit there and stare at a tractor for some reason.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:
Steelbanger wrote:I visited my nearby dealer this afternoon, seeking some jacketed bullets. On his gun rack he had a long barreled Rossi Puma M92 in 44 mag. I had to look at it and I must say it felt good with its nice heavy octagon barrel. The wood was all flush with the metal, something we don't see very often these days. It had a nickeled receiver, butt plate and end cap on the forend and only one stamping on the barrel, 44 Mag. I also noticed that it wasn't drilled/tapped for a receiver sight. On the upper tang the stamping read Imported for LSI, Las Vegas and the lower tang was marked Made in Brazil. The action felt really smooth for a new rifle which impressed me. The price was $495. and I would have snapped it up if it were a 357. Overall I like it. I wonder if I could borrow it tomorrow and take it to the range. Probably not so I won't bother asking.
Isn't it nice to see a rifle without the owner's manual roll stamped on the barrel! The Rossi's do keep it very simple. I wanted the 357 Mag as well in the rifle I bought but they seem to be as few and far between as the Marlins chambered in that cartridge. Actually, I would have preferred the 16" barrel. That 4" of barrel makes a big difference in getting out the door of the tractor. Coyotes and hogs, all critters, just sit there and stare at a tractor for some reason.

Yah, I lucked out on mine.
A 16" .357 Mag & no safety either.
Fantastic truck gun for getting on/off pick-ups, ATVs and farm equipment.
The gun is a lot easier to bury in a pack sack than its longer snouted siblings also.
And as the saying goes, "The .357 Mag is a different critter in a carbine".
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Gee_Wizz01

Post by Gee_Wizz01 »

I have one of the Interarms Rossi Puma's with a 20" from the early 90's with the round Puma emblem on the side of the receiver. The front sight is part of the front barrel/mag tube band, and the rifle has no safety. The rifle is extremely accurate with jacketed ammo, and was only mediocre with cast bullets until I got one of the RD432-265RF molds. With the RD432-265 and 2400, this rifle will put 5 bullets into one big hole at 50yds with the factory sights.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Gee_Wizz01 wrote:I have one of the Interarms Rossi Puma's with a 20" from the early 90's with the round Puma emblem on the side of the receiver. The front sight is part of the front barrel/mag tube band, and the rifle has no safety. The rifle is extremely accurate with jacketed ammo, and was only mediocre with cast bullets until I got one of the RD432-265RF molds. With the RD432-265 and 2400, this rifle will put 5 bullets into one big hole at 50yds with the factory sights.

I have 3 of 'em......454C (20').....44M (16")......357M (16").........they're everything you said & more.
The .357M has a front sight that is part of the barrel band.
I haven't tried mine with lead bullets.
They are without the silly lawyer safety & definitely not for sale ! :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Puddle-jumper
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Puddle-jumper »

I seem to have found one of these Puma 92's at a local pawn shop and wondering if $300.00 would
be a good price to pay for it. They have it marked for $350 but offered it to me for $300. It has the
round Puma emblem on the receiver, saddle ring, no safety, and barrel markings are: Interarms, Virginia;
made in brazil; Rossi; and 44 Magnum. A good looking walnut stock, smooth feeling action, bore looks
good and seems to be in overall good condition. 20 inch round barrel.
I thought it would be a good companion for my Rossi 92 stainless steel 357.

________________________________-
Charles
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Puddle-jumper wrote:I seem to have found one of these Puma 92's at a local pawn shop and wondering if $300.00 would
be a good price to pay for it. They have it marked for $350 but offered it to me for $300. It has the
round Puma emblem on the receiver, saddle ring, no safety, and barrel markings are: Interarms, Virginia;
made in brazil; Rossi; and 44 Magnum. A good looking walnut stock, smooth feeling action, bore looks
good and seems to be in overall good condition. 20 inch round barrel.
I thought it would be a good companion for my Rossi 92 stainless steel 357.

________________________________-
Charles
stop braggin dang :lol: LoL no I am kidding glad you found some good ones. They are far and in betwen for sure keep posting wtb adds in forums that is how I got my 92 it took time but you may get lucky hang in there
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Charles, I'm with AK, I would have had to jump on this. I have never seen a used Rossi on a sale rack with 100 miles of me, haven't looked any further. For that matter, haven't seen a new one either. South Texas is NOT the land of the levergun, I could say the same for BLRs, Marlins, Savages, Winchesters. This is the land of the bolt gun. The AR has not taken hold here either like it has in other places.
Michael