M92 stainless 357mag barrel

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
jkearney1969

M92 stainless 357mag barrel

Post by jkearney1969 »

Any suggestions on where to find a replacement M92 stainless 357mag barrel?
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: M92 stainless 357mag barrel

Post by Reese-Mo »

That will probably have to be a full custom install, from a blank.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Why, pray tell?
jkearney1969

Post by jkearney1969 »

the barrel was damaged by squib rounds
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

Doh.... that's bad.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I was hanging around the shop when the owner came over to me with a 93 in .38/.357 and asked me what I thought. The barrel had a half dozen or more bullets stuck in the barrel. It didn't LOOK bulged but I said 'good luck, needs a new barrel'.

At one point a few years before my friend bought the shop they'd had a Beretta 92 that was chock full of bullets in the barrel. I think they ended up sectioning that barrel.

A couple of us bought M1 Garands back in college. Mine shot ok. My friend got one that looked like it was in a little better shape than mine but he couldn't get better than about a 8" group at 50 yards. He handed it to me and I couldn't get better than about half that. When we slugged the barrel it was bulged inside for about 1/3rd of the length. NO bulge on the outside but obviously shot with a stuck bullet in the barrel.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Have you considered sleeving? Maybe in 256 Winchester Magnum?
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Making a replacement barrel from a blank will be a serious challenge. From what I’ve read, Rossi barrel threads are very fine and cut to some wacky marginally metric standard.

I’ve never seen a Rossi 92 barrel for sale. Barrels come on the market as the result of a re-barreling project usually. Not uncommon for Mausers, Savage 99s and the like, but apparently not Rossi 92s.

There are companies whose business it is to destroy firearms by court order. They demill receivers and scavenge the rest for parts. I would find those guys and camp on their internet doorsteps until your barrel turns up. You’ll need to buy the whole package, and offload the other parts.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

No mention has been made, but maybe ask over at Steve's Gunz and see?

Sleeving may work... depending on how bad the damage is. What you don't want is unsupported sleeve at the site of the damage.

As for a total rebarrel - which is probably the way to go - I would not put money on threads that are hard to cut. Trust me, I've done it, they are ALL hard to cut. But, thread pitch is determined by what is available on the lathe. Don't ask a lathe to cut 21.6 threads per inch. They don't do that. Same with metric geared lathes. They do the standard thread pitch spacing in whole and fractions of millimeters, based on quarter millimeter steps in smaller pitch and half in larger pitch. Braz/Rossi has to use an industry standard pitch, to do otherwise would be too expensive and useless. As for the wacky diameter, they are ALL wacky. The pitch is more or less ok, thread major diameter... you gotta have the old barrel to check that. Next is the thread profile, which could be 60 or 50 or some other odd angle. That's just a matter of grinding the cutter to the angle that is needed.

A man who fits barrels will have all it takes to fit a barrel. Thread pitch gauges in metric and inch sizes are something they'd have multiple sets of more than likely. Micrometer... no brainer. Estimating the thread profile.... there's a way of doing it with a wire and a micrometer, but I think most guys would get out their "seymores" and hold up some cutters to the existing barrel thread against a strong light and make the best determination that way.

Getting the new barrel on is not such a big trick. The big trick is getting the old barrel off. Fortunately you don't care is the old barrel is damaged in the process, so that shouldn't be too bad.

The next trick, and its a trick... is to get that barrel chambered and get the extraction groove where it needs to be and get the little "ramp" part where it needs to be. Chambering... shouldn't be too hard, the 357 headspaces on the rim and you got to account for the thickest rim you might find, plus a little bit more. If you consider a 1mm thread pitch, each degree of barrel rotation is about 1/10,000 inch of depth. Literally that little. So a more likely 2.5mm thread pitch would be only one quarter of one thousandth of an inch depth per inch of degree. The barrel man can be 5 degrees off and not be in any trouble with headspace. Then there is getting the pre-cut grooves at the chamber "just right". When fitting a barrel the term used is "crush factor" which is usually from .002 to .004 inches The barrel man knows this. He'll fit things tight, cut the shoulder and/or true the receiver a bit, check for alignment again, recut if required, then finally tighten the barrel to get things lined up as they ought to be. Torque on the barrel is probably a little more than the barrel nut on an AR. You don't want to go nutz and crack the receiver, and again... a barrel man knows this.

Seek someone who fits barrels. You'll probably end up with one slick ass lever gun that more than likely will shoot like gangbusters - much better than before, as its all trued up, and literally hand fit.

I've fit barrels to Martini single shots - those were inch pattern at the time made in the UK by the way, and a few Single Six Rugers. Its something to keep you brain active, but really, I don't consider myself a barrel man, just a guy who once did gunsmithing and who had a lot of machine tools and some friends that were in the mold making business (the cream of the crop of machinists by the way). A man who fits barrels day in and out, is your man. Dunno if the barrel companies offer fitting services any more. Douglas, Shilen, etc. Worth a try.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

This link was supplied long ago on a similar thread:

https://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/fo ... ter-magnum

Trials and tribulations of threading a Rossi 92 barrel. It’s a lot of reading, but worthwhile if you’re considering a barrel blank.