You fellas with late-model 44 Mags

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: You fellas with late-model 44 Mags

Post by mr surveyor »

Shortly after I started re-loading about 10 years ago, I was really interested in the Hi-Tec coated Bayou Bullets. I bought them in .357/38, 9mm, .45 auto and .44 mag. , and really tried to like them. Apparently, they were a bit undersized for just about every application I tried except the 138 gr Button Nosed Wad Cutters in the .38 spl., which worked well enough to order another 500. The .357 mag, 9mm and .45 auto were kinda' o.k., but the .44 mag just didn't work very well in my Ruger SRH or my Rossi R92. I've since become a devoted fan of "naked lead" Leadhead, RimRock, Oregon Trails, and recently GT bullets (and some cast from a local friend for the .357 mag). Bayou may be offering a better sizing offer now but I just haven't looked since "Mr. Donnie" retired. I will admit to giving all my cast boolits, commercial or "home cast", an extra tumble (or two) of LLA/Mineral Spirits - whether the boolits have factory lube in the groove(s) or not. Just be sure and have them sized to properly fit your bore grooves.

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

I thought this would be the best thread to ask this without starting another one. Sarge, please let me know if you want me to start another thread and delete this
Fellas, I'd like a suggestion on a lead bullet, ball or fishing sinker to use for slugging the bore on my 44mag.
It's a perdy carbine but it shoots like crap.
Sarge
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Sarge »

Hell no Fish, no need for another thread. Ask it here.

I'm also curious what kind of 100 yard accuracy you guys are getting from these 44s, with load specifics if you have them.
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

Sarge wrote:
I'm also curious what kind of 100 yard accuracy you guys are getting from these 44s, with load specifics if you have them.
Basketball size groups at 65 yards. I tried some RNFP Hi-Tek coated 240 grain bullets with 11 grains of Unique and some Hornady XTP 240 grain, same powder load. I tried some 2400 too, it was worse.

I have some .432 250 grain bullets coming soon.
Sarge
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Sarge »

golfish wrote:
Sarge wrote:
Basketball size groups at 65 yards. I tried some RNFP Hi-Tek coated 240 grain bullets with 11 grains of Unique and some Hornady XTP 240 grain, same powder load. I tried some 2400 too, it was worse.

Something is bad wrong with that rifle. My Mossberg 930 shoots way better than that with slugs.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

golfish wrote:I thought this would be the best thread to ask this without starting another one. Sarge, please let me know if you want me to start another thread and delete this
Fellas, I'd like a suggestion on a lead bullet, ball or fishing sinker to use for slugging the bore on my 44mag.
It's a perdy carbine but it shoots like crap.
I didn't see an answer to you question, your best bet is the egg shaped sinkers with the hole. If you can find them. The hole offers some room for the compression so the slug doesn't spring back and give you a larger reading.

Stay well, be safe, make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

Ohio3Wheels wrote:
I didn't see an answer to you question, your best bet is the egg shaped sinkers with the hole. If you can find them.
I haven't slugged the barrel yet. I'll head over to Bass Pro Shops and see what they got. Any idea what size? I use the same sinkers for the kids when they bait fish for trout. Mine are all 1/4, I'm guessing that 1/4 ounce.
Sarge wrote:
golfish wrote:
Sarge wrote:
Something is bad wrong with that rifle. My Mossberg 930 shoots way better than that with slugs.
Its exactly the same as the 16" model I had 6-7 years ago, shoots all over the place.
I need to slug the barrel. I read that a .451 round ball that black powder guys use might work.
Yeah, my 590A1 is more accurate...
I should have got the 45c
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

golfish wrote:
Sarge wrote:

Have you shot any factory jacketed ammo?
The last gun I shot that got basketball groups at something less than 100 yards was a Korean war era M1 Garand that turned out to have a bulged barrel and even it got 8" groups at 50-60 yards if you held your mouth right. In fact it was the 12" groups the owner was getting out of it that told us something wasn't right and we found the bulged barrel by slugging it. You couldn't SEE any sign of it being bulged from the outside of the barrel even after we had it off the receiver.

I haven't sat down and shot mine for accuracy but you are making that a requirement.
Sarge
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Sarge »

My 357 was a rough-operating sumbuck but it wasn't picky about bullet diameter and was very accurate. Both 45 Colts shot great with a definite preference for XTP and .454 lead bullets. So it wouldn't shock me at all if the 44 mags like XTPs and .432 lead bullets.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

golfish wrote:
Ohio3Wheels wrote:
I didn't see an answer to you question, your best bet is the egg shaped sinkers with the hole. If you can find them.
I haven't slugged the barrel yet. I'll head over to Bass Pro Shops and see what they got. Any idea what size? I use the same sinkers for the kids when they bait fish for trout. Mine are all 1/4, I'm guessing that 1/4 ounce.

I don't remember what size I used for my 45 Colt, but it has to be bigger than the bore so I'm thinking 1/2 or 3/4. Make sure the bore is clean and lightly lubed. I start the slug and after I get it just below the muzzle put a gas check on top of it to keep the rod from poking through the soft lead. I use a 12" rod until I get it down about 10" then switch to one long enough to finish. You enough of these and you wind up with a bunch of brass rods of assorted diameters and lengths. I don't recommend wood but if you do don't use the cheap "white wood" that a lot of places sell get oak, hickory or ash.

Stay well, be safe, make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image