Found a used Rossi, need advice

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Orpabtsa

Found a used Rossi, need advice

Post by Orpabtsa »

Hi all. A local gun store had a used Rossi 92 in .38/.357 blued with a 20 inch barrel for sale. The price seemed reasonable they offered it to me for $425.00 which included tax and background check. After looking over the rifle the most obvious problem was that the previous owner had removed the steel buttplate and installed a 2 inch extension using part of a pine 2 x 4, and did not reinstall the buttplate. So in other words the wood extension would be against your shoulder when firing it.
The previous owner had also painted the front sight white, and the paint ran down the sight.

The rifle just scared me because after seeing the kitchen gunsmithing that was done to the stock, I am scared of what might have been done to the rest of the rifle that might be something I would not see until I got it home.

I made an offer of $350.00 I got cash advance in USA for it, and the owner said he could not take that offer.

Was I way off base on my offer?
Last edited by Orpabtsa on 03 Sep 2020 01:12, edited 1 time in total.
Bobby
GasGuzzler

Re: Found a used Rossi, need advice

Post by GasGuzzler »

Those two issues are easily fixed. $500 is a normal street price here.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Ask if you can cycle some snap caps through it. If so get some 357 caps and check its function.

As Gas said the rest is easy to fix, biggest problem might be a new butt plate.

Stay well, be safe, make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

The paint on the sight is, I agree no big deal.

I'm not certain what a Rossi buttplate costs. I've seen one place that lists $20 but NO information other than Rossi Rifle buttplate: $20. I know Rossi carbine and rifle buttplates are different but that place only lists 'rifle' without pictures or the word 'carbine' or 'crescent' and no notes on finish, material or lack thereof.
Winchester and repro Winchester buttplates aren't exactly inexpensive.

The snapcaps are a good idea. I did that with at least two of mine.
Nashville Stage

Post by Nashville Stage »

I think your offer was a fair one.

Pre-Covid, those were going for $500 and change for a *new* one. $425 for a used one is a good price, if it's in good condition. For something with obvious poor quality modifications, $350 is a fair offer.

My guess is that the shop owner either paid too much for it and doesn't want to take a loss, or they're hedging their bets on this bubble in the market to sell it at a higher than normal price.

I'd pass. Keep looking; others are out there and will pop up.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

$350 is pretty close to as much as I'd want to go.
GG's probably right about the stock fix. Find a buttplate. Remove the extension. Do some minor repairing maybe fill some screw holes. Fit the buttplate and then do any required refinishing. Not hard, but still a pain.
Umpire

Post by Umpire »

My advice get a new CBC made... they might be a little more expensive but definitely worth every single penny and you gonna avoid lot of future issues