New R92 owner and first shots...

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
JSHRAM

New R92 owner and first shots...

Post by JSHRAM »

Hi there, from Utah!

I'm an avid shooter but this is my first lever gun, in fact, I'd never shot one until now. I'm so impressed with its ease of use, pointability, speed and quite frankly, how light it is. I'll bet it's lighter than my trusty AR.

Anyway, here's my first range foray. I learned quickly that the steel butt-plate and hard hitting of the 44 magnum didn't sit well with all the steel and screws in my shoulder. Rubber pad on the way!

Shoot straight!

John

First shots video
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: New R92 owner and first shots...

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

My 20" 45 Colt with the octagon barrel has the steel crescent butt plate and with stiff loads you do know when it goes off. I use a PAST recoil shield when I do load testing. It has the added advantage of simulating heavier clothes that would be the norm during hunting season.

Stay well, be safe, make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Welcome to the ranks of the leverholics, and thanks for the video.

These are essentially the cowboy assault weapons. These guns are addictive and fun.
I've been a lever fan since before I bought my first Winchester 94 in .30-30 as my first firearm at age 16.
(Well technically my father bought it for me but I had saved up for it.)

Rather than a rubber pad, I find that if you don't mind a little surface color simply snuggling up to the gun works pretty well.

On a similar note I did notice last week at the range with my 7.62x39 guns, one AK build and one AR build I was not tucking the buttstock tight for short range strings of fire. I've never noticed that problem before and I'm not certain how much of it is lack of recent practice on my part and how much of it is the silly posterior CA compliant mods we have to use here in CA. The monsterman grip on the AK is one of the less objectionable options but being able to put the pistol grip on that rifle instead would be great. The AR is a similar issue as this one is a carbine configuration with the adjustable stock blocked into a single position with a grip fin on it. Combined with my long arms I simply wasn't getting tucked tightly into the gun quite as well as I usually do.

I was late to the AR and didn't buy one until CA started their own assault weapons ban. I wound up with a used one from a coworker and a stripped receiver before the law took effect. I have since gotten WAY too into ARs and have assembled everything from a budget build from PSA to a wish list gun in 5.56/.223 Wylde plus multiple .308 Winchesters. I have also put together a 7.62x39 a couple 6.5 Grendels, 12.7x42 (Beowulf clones) and a .243 Win.
JSHRAM

Post by JSHRAM »

Yup, I love my ARs.. have a 1000 yard AR10 and a tack driving 556 Wylde amongst others (my favorite is my 300 AAC Blackout)... but, the lever gun is just plain cool. I have to put a "Limbsaver" on my lever gun.. as much as I like the authentic butt of that gun, it just beats me up. Like I said, my shoulder is full of steel and screws, so the harsh plate is tough. I make sure even my ARs, little as they kick, have rubber-bumper stocks. The "issue" carbine stock is a no-go.

Shoot straight!

John
tiger1

Post by tiger1 »

Hey John, I just saw your video (first shots) but what kind of group did you get? Thanks buddy
rondog
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by rondog »

I read something recently about how crescent steel buttplates shouldn't go against your shoulder, but against your upper arm instead, just outside the shoulder. Think I read that here, actually - but not positive.....and I haven't tried it yet.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

What I've read/heard is that the crescent was designed to fit the arm/armpit point of the shoulder joint more for say shooting cross body from horseback for example. IT IS FOR CERTAIN they were NOT intended to be tucked up on the collar bone the way I've seen taught with just about everything else.
Deleted User 327

Post by Deleted User 327 »

As one with a bit of arthritis in my shooting shoulder, I've found that a PAST Field Recoil Pad Shield I can wear on my shoulder spreads out and distributes the recoil much better than the narrow recoil pad added to the rifle.

Further, it's good for all your rifles, not just one like a recoil pad added to the buttstock is. And, if you find that you need more when shooting at the bench, they also make PAST Magnum Plus Recoil Pad Shield as well as PAST Super Magnum Plus Recoil Pad Shield.