Finally range time new K92 357 mag 16" carbine

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
donhov

Finally range time new K92 357 mag 16" carbine

Post by donhov »

Finally got caught up on sleep enough that I got some time to go to the range. Daily I have worked the action and occasionally ran some snap caps thru it. Time for the real thing. Took 1 box each 357 158 grain round nose and 130 38 special slight hollow points. The new Rossi's, at least this one, (build date 6/6/2020 per Rossi tech support) seem to have gotten it right. Fires and functioned excellent with both rounds. Although I didn't take it for bench rest accuracy but discovered that it shoots quite high at 25-30 yards about 4 to 6 inches or so. Consistency left to right is good just high. Raised the rear sight (hope that was correct) to the middle of the ramp, it was at the bottom originally) but couldn't get it right to lower POI much unless the 25 yard range might have been the issue. Need to replace sights then work on accuracy and adjustments to got better on paper. Looking for a slightly higher green fiber optic front sight first. Recoil for 357 mag was a little stiff but I couldn't get a good shoulder bond while trying to get used to working the action and such. (Too much AR15 I guess) Over all very happy with it so far. It seems to have been well worth all the work to get it.

And last but not least fun to shoot.....
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Finally range time new K92 357 mag 16" carbine

Post by Archer »

Raising the rear sight requires you to raise the muzzle of the gun in order to line up on the target.
Thus raising the rear sight will tilt the gun at a higher angle and should raise the impact point relative to the target.

The 16" guns are generally found to shoot high from the factory especially at short ranges.

https://www.nrafamily.org/articles/2019 ... justments/
The effect on point of impact will be opposite, depending on which sight is altered. To move point of impact downward, one should either add material to the front sight or remove material from the rear sight. Conversely, adding material to the rear sight or removing it from the front sight moves the point of impact upward.
Regardless of the mechanism for adjustment, the process is the same: The rear sight is moved in the same direction as the desired change in bullet impact. Thus, to move bullet impact to the right, the rear sight must be moved to the right. With an adjustable front sight, the sight is moved in the direction opposite to the desired change in impact.
donhov

Post by donhov »

A quick thanks for the information. I'm not arguing the issue, just having a hard time grasping it. I carefully worked it out in my mind and was sure I was right. I stand corrected. Now to get back and try it with the sight fully lowered and see where the point of impact is with the sight set there. I do think I will try to find a green fiber optic front sight to replace the original sight, and then see it I need to do anything to the rear. Possible an aperture type of rear and/or (Heaven forbid) a small red dot Now any suggestions on where to find a small section of rail that will fit as a replacement for the rear sight? Or a reason to not do that?

Thanks in advance for thoughts on this.....
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

If you plan to stick with the factory rear you'll want to order a front site taller than you current one. Front sight works contrary to intuition.

Skinner makes a peep sight that uses the same dovetail as the factory rear and also he has a good discussion on how to determine how much taller or shorter you need up front for a given rear. I have one of his Express sights on my Marlin 1895 45/70. His workmanship is superb and his prices aren't bad.

Stay well, be safe, make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Nashville Stage

Post by Nashville Stage »

Pro tip:
When lining up your sights on the target, make sure to place the front bead down in the little notch at the very bottom of the rear buckhorn. A common mistake is to center the front bead in the middle of the rear sight's large buckhorn opening. That alignment would cause the rifle to shoot quite high.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

True story.

A friend of mine had never shot a buckhorn sight so he lined the bead up level with the POINTS of the buckhorn for the first shots with his .357.

Completely over the target. NO IDEA where he's hitting.
Handed it to another of the guys there who dropped the bead in the little notch and right on target.
Back and forth a time or two before somebody figured out what he was doing.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

donhov wrote:A quick thanks for the information. I'm not arguing the issue, just having a hard time grasping it. I carefully worked it out in my mind and was sure I was right. I stand corrected. Now to get back and try it with the sight fully lowered and see where the point of impact is with the sight set there. I do think I will try to find a green fiber optic front sight to replace the original sight, and then see it I need to do anything to the rear. Possible an aperture type of rear and/or (Heaven forbid) a small red dot Now any suggestions on where to find a small section of rail that will fit as a replacement for the rear sight? Or a reason to not do that?

Thanks in advance for thoughts on this.....
So examining the geometry just a little...I pulled this pic from an article at the indicated link. The article may or may not be helpful but I think the picture can help illustrate the geometry behind the statements I posted above.
trajectory-with-sight-illustration-from-zrxc77.jpg
Looking at the 'This is what really happens part of the picture.
Now imagine raising the rear sight so that it ends up above the sight line.
In order to get it back in line you can think of it as pivoting the gun around the front sight keeping everything else the same.
Thus you have to bring the back of the rifle down a tiny amount (Say you raised the rear sight 1/16th of an inch) which ends up with the rifle tilted further up. You've increased the angle the bullet departs from where you are shooting so it is going to impact the target a little higher up (Unless you are talking extreme ranges/angles beyond the useful range of the gun.)

Next mental image. Imagine putting a taller front sight on the gun without changing anything else. In order to get the sights lined up with the new front sight you can rotate the gun about the rear sight dropping the front bead in line with the target. Smaller angle of the rifle to the target = lower bullet impact.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
donhov

Post by donhov »

Thanks all for the corrections.
For some reason raising the rear just seemed correct. ReRead the manual and even it says lower rear to lower POI. Guess my mind is just stuck in a old, very old rut. Again thanks. Now to find range time again....
ethang

Post by ethang »

easy way to remember is move the rear sight in the direction you want the bullet to go, move the front sight in the opposite direction you want the bullet to go.
Plastic has no soul...