Vintage Winchester 1892 .32WCF

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
GasGuzzler

Vintage Winchester 1892 .32WCF

Post by GasGuzzler »

As some of you know, my family has a first generation Colt SAA chambered in .32WCF that was issued to an ancestor by the State of Texas and the Texas Rangers. It dates back to about 1904 and has been in the family since new. As such I have been looking for a deal on a real Winchester from the turn of the last century knowing a functional, relatively decent condition, and "un-refinished" version I can afford would be a needle in a haystack but...

I may have found one local private sale and want to know what to look for and if I'm getting a good deal. Sure, I can search completed items on Gunbroker but there's not a lot of sales on 120 year old good original condition rifles chambered in an obsolete cartridge.

The gun dates to 1901 and has an octagon barrel, fore end cap, and crescent butt plate. It has what looks like the original sights and no extra holes drilled. Bluing looks fair for it's age (it's not yet "brown"). Seller says: "The bore is clean with no pits and the rifling is still visible. The action works fine loading from the magazine tube and ejecting the spent cartridge after firing. The metal is free of rust and the wood is solid with no cracks or gouges."

I plan on making up a handful of .32-20 dummies to cycle through it before I buy it. Anything I should be aware of or look for and what is a ballpark value on such a rifle?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Vintage Winchester 1892 .32WCF

Post by Mad Trapper »

If it functions and is in decent shape, I would make an offer of $ 800.00
Personally I doubt I would go over $ 2000.00.
Barrel may be shot out, usually, back in the day, people would have them re-chambered to 357 mag
Be nice if you could slug the barrel,
ddj

Post by ddj »

This gun looks really nice especially for a 1892 mfg. I just picked up a 1911 mfg 1892 in 25 20 on Gunbroker. I know it's a risk buying sight unseen but the rifle looked good and there was a very thorough description. The butt stock on mine was replaced and refinished and because of that the butt stock and forearm didn't quite match. I refinished both pieces. Really nice rifling on the gun. I took it totally a part and gave it a thorough cleaning. It was flinging the brass far and wide just %@*&$ a Rossi. I replaced the ejector spring. Except for the main spring internally its just like a Rossi. I love this gun! I don't know how many rounds the tube holds but I stuffed 11 rounds in and it cycles them as fast as I can work the lever. Mine was a no reserve auction and the bids were in the 200 bucks range so so I placed a 500 bucks max bid and walked away fully expecting to get outbid. The other bids went up to 495 and stopped so I got a new gun for $570 with shipping and registration fees. Just getting ready to start the 32 20 to 25 20 brass conversion and I was thinking having a 25 20 revolver would be a nice addition. Your gun looks really good and if you don't want it send me a link to it ;) I know the 25 20 is fun to shoot and I bet the 32 20 would be too. Good luck with this gun. a 1892 1892 would be nice
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

This one is a 1901 manufacture year and the asking price is less than the $800 suggested above so I guess I'm in.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
rondog
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by rondog »

GasGuzzler wrote:This one is a 1901 manufacture year and the asking price is less than the $800 suggested above so I guess I'm in.
Go see what Cabela's would price that rifle at, and you'll be waiting at the seller's door, waiting for him to wake up in the morning!
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Sold to another person before I could arrange a meeting.
rondog
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by rondog »

That sucks! Sorry to hear that.....