Plinking with my 20" 45 Colt

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Sarge
250 Shots
250 Shots

Plinking with my 20" 45 Colt

Post by Sarge »

I hadn't shot my Rossi 92 for awhile and decided to rectify that this afternoon. I used my standard 45 Colt load (8.5 grains of Universal under a Lee 454-255-RF) which does 1180 fps from the 20" Rossi. I figure if I shoot anything with this rifle it'll be right quick, standing with no rest, so that's the way I shot it. I also wanted to see what the useful range was for this combination so I shot on the big diamond plate. I sprayed a little circle in the middle for an aiming point. One shot from 50 yards (center shot) and two from 100 (on top of each other, left edge of the black).

I connected with a couple from about 150 yards, about 7" lower and a little right. So I fired three from 200 yards, one of which hit the post about a foot below the plate. I swear I could hear Judy Garland singing 'Somewhere, OVER the rainbow...' as I repainted the plate and pushed the sight elevator up a notch.

Five more shots from 200 yards. I'm calling it 3 1/2 hits, with the one that just caught the edge of the plate next to the other one.

Couple of thoughts. This was done with a Rossi OEM front sight about the size of a '78 Buick hubcap, which nearly covers that big plate from 200 yards. The rifle will get a proper 1/16 brass bead on it soon. Also, I ran the numbers for this particular load and bullet through a ballistic calculator. At 200 yards, this load is still hitting as hard from the rifle as it does from my single action at the muzzle. These bullets are pretty soft at 11 BHN. From the revolver, this load smashed a beef rib and expanded a bit on its way through two water jugs and stopped just buried in an old catalog behind them. So it's not something I'd want to catch on the 3rd button of my shirt, even at two football fields.

Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Plinking with my 20" 45 Colt

Post by Mad Trapper »

That is some good shootin Sarge.
I like that pistol.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Yep, some very good shooting!
Michael
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Nice.

I need a .45C R92 now.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Mad Trapper »

GasGuzzler wrote:Nice.

I need a .45C R92 now.
Same here, and need a matching pistol.
Think you already got that sweet uberti 45 colt GG.
+guns
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Only took four years for all the stars to align but yes I'm proud to have it. I still need to check in the guy I bought my .357 R92 from. I know he had several calibers (I passed on my exact rifle in 2013 because it was "way too much at $380 or so) and I know he sold his .44 because I witnessed the sale several months after buying my .357.

I know where he works because I picked up my rifle there. I know where he lives too because his truck is not only covered with political bumper stickers but also lots of text on the same subject (he own<ed> a sign shop) but I haven't seen the truck either place in a while (he's older so...). His house is on my wife and my bike route.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

I think I've narrowed my upper list to two guns. One is the R92, 20", .45C. It's more on the side of "want" as I have the R92 20" .44 mag and the R92 16" .357 mag. As little as I get to hunt now, the .45C would just be a fun toy I'm afraid. Just for the record, the other of the two on the list would fit a little better into the "need" category. A new (er) model Ruger short barreled GP-100 in .44 spl would fit my daily field carry needs, and (sort of) fit my digitally challenged hands (short fingers). As it stands right now, the old 3" 1993 SP-101 in .357 mag is a more than adequate daily field carry, so the .44 spl "need" may be no more pressing than the R92 .45C "want.

Ever since I was 7-8 years old, my Dad told me "You can wish in one hand and ........".

I'd still like to fill my hand with the R92 .45 C though. :mrgreen:

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Sarge
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Sarge »

Thank you all for the kind comments. That New Vaquero is as good a shooter in its own right as the R92 is as a rifle. It's fixed sights are dead on for the above mentioned load and it cleaned house in the May Challengeover on Glocktalk.

Those Ubertis are great single actions, too. I had 4 3/4" 45 Colt Ranch Hand in the shopping cart when I tripped over that barely used New Vaquero for essentially the same money.

I had a 16" 45 Colt a few years ago and it was a decent lil' Trapper; but this 20" 45 Colt is one of those starstruck guns that is almost hard to miss with.
GRV01
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by GRV01 »

I cant wait to get a 45LC too, but mines going to be a new Marlin 1894CB because i 'need' that octagon barrel. I want a Ruger RH to match.

Ruger and Remlin, dont tell RD, he might revoke my membership here :)
No thin chicks
Currently reloading: 38 SPL, 357 MAG
Rossi's Owned: M92 .357 20"(Owned by Wifey: M92 .357 16")
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I wanted a Ruger Vaquero but could only find the Ruger New Vaquero locally. The few original full size Vaqueros I found in the years I looked were either badly neglected or $700+. The last one I saw was at the Dallas Market Hall show a couple months ago....one for $800 and one for $950. There is no Ruger transfer bar SA out there worth that IMO.

BTW, the Uberti is pin on hammer just like a Colt.