Saddle rings

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
OnTarget
Founding Member
Founding Member

Saddle rings

Post by OnTarget »

Anyone with a saddle ring on their rifle ever use for a single point sling mount?
MT Gianni

Re: Saddle rings

Post by MT Gianni »

Deleted User 327

Post by Deleted User 327 »

Deleted
Last edited by Deleted User 327 on 01 May 2014 18:30, edited 1 time in total.
OnTarget
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by OnTarget »

MT Gianni that is what i am looking at. Not sure if I care for that one but similar. I know it is not for the traditionalist but I like the idea of it.
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

OnTarget wrote:MT Gianni that is what i am looking at. Not sure if I care for that one but similar. I know it is not for the traditionalist but I like the idea of it.
I do as well. I think having something like a M92 trapper in 454 Casull at the ready like that when fishing a stream with bears nearby makes sense.

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Arktikos wrote:
OnTarget wrote:MT Gianni that is what i am looking at. Not sure if I care for that one but similar. I know it is not for the traditionalist but I like the idea of it.
I do as well. I think having something like a M92 trapper in 454 Casull at the ready like that when fishing a stream with bears nearby makes sense.

Not having a firearm when you need to travel near salmon streams when the salmon are running & the bears are feeding not only doesn't make sense......it's insane !
The saddle ring could make a sling loop but I like conventional slings.
Personally if I bought a gun that had a saddle ring because everything else about the gun including the price was right I'd cut it off and grind the metal ring attachment flush with the receiver metal & polish & re-blue.
In an hour you'd never know the gun ever had a ring.
To me the saddle rings are just a noisy, deer spooking, useless encumbrance that I wouldn't be carrying through the bush.......... but to each his own. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

pricedo wrote:

Not having a firearm when you need to travel near salmon streams when the salmon are running & the bears are feeding not only doesn't make sense......it's insane !
Personally if I bought a gun that had a saddle ring because everything else about the gun including the price was right I'd cut it off and grind the metal ring attachment flush with the receiver metal & polish & re-blue.
To me the saddle rings are just a noisy, deer spooking, useless encumbrance that I wouldn't be carrying through the bush.......... but to each his own. :mrgreen:
There was a guy that had a utube video of a particular way he could get his guide gun off his shoulder and hit a target in about 2 seconds. I wish I had saved the link. I can't remember exactly but he seemed to rotate the gun from vertical (barrel up) around 270 degrees and when the gun was rotating up on target he was levering a round.
I would definitely want to do a LOT of practice was an empty gun in front of the mirror!

pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Arktikos wrote:
pricedo wrote:

There was a guy that had a utube video of a particular way he could get his guide gun off his shoulder and hit a target in about 2 seconds. I wish I had saved the link. I can't remember exactly but he seemed to rotate the gun from vertical (barrel up) around 270 degrees and when the gun was rotating up on target he was levering a round.
I would definitely want to do a LOT of practice was an empty gun in front of the mirror!

I saw that one too.
Don't know how it would work in the alders/switches or how many toes I'd have left after the end of the first days practice but yah he sure was fast & accurate with that GG of his.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Arktikos wrote:

Walking along salmon streams where bears are actively feeding unarmed is fine for people who are "one with the bear" like Timothy Treadwell but I'll be packing some iron in the form of a fast shooting gun with some pretty serious horsepower.
As far as I'm concerned a bear is an unpredictable, territorial predator a whole lot bigger than I am with teeth & claws and when I'm looking at one closer than 100 yards I want to be doing that looking down the barrel of a gun.
Timothy Treadwell pushed his luck with the bears for years & finally wound up as bear dodo laying on the ground.

A really noisy saddle ring might even be a benefit when walking in bear country cause it would warn the bear & avoid surprises............can't see any other use for one even on a horse where a proper scabbard would be a lot better in regards to securing & protecting the gun. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

pricedo wrote:
Walking along salmon streams where bears are actively feeding unarmed is fine for people who are "one with the bear" like Timothy Treadwell but I'll be packing some iron in the form of a fast shooting gun with some pretty serious horsepower.
As far as I'm concerned a bear is an unpredictable, territorial predator a whole lot bigger than I am with teeth & claws and when I'm looking at one closer than 100 yards I want to be doing that looking down the barrel of a gun.
Timothy Treadwell pushed his luck with the bears for years & finally wound up as bear dodo laying on the ground.

A really noisy saddle ring might even be a benefit when walking in bear country cause it would warn the bear & avoid surprises............can't see any other use for one even on a horse where a proper scabbard would be a lot better in regards to securing & protecting the gun. :mrgreen:
I hear ya on that! The picture of "little Yogi" I put up the other day was taken in the general vicinity of a stream where in the summer lots of tourists flock to fish in their waders. The brown bears are fishing right next to them! Funny I don't see many locals in there and I often wonder if these anglers fully realize this isn't the zoo, these bears are not trained to be nice, but only just well fed from all the fish going up that thing. I wont necessarily avoid streams where there could be a bear, but draw the line where the bears are fishing right alongside me. :o With that said, I like the idea of a single point sling just in case because when fishing your hands are full and it takes extra time to pull a rifle off your shoulder. I don't know if the saddle ring would be the ideal way to attach such a sling either. I would want the attachment point to be close to where the gun balances with a tube full of ammunition but I don't know of any other option other than leaving the rifle on the bank and having a revolver on a chest rig.