Disassemble and Reassembly of the Rossi m92 and Bolt

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
87hurricane

Re: Disassemble and Reassembly of the Rossi m92 and Bolt

Post by 87hurricane »

Thanks for the post, it helped me strip my new 92 down and sucessfully get it back together. Just basically cleaned everything up and knocked off a couple of the most obvious burs, and it really smoothed up the action.
Quinc
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Quinc »

Treetop wrote:Thanks from a Rossi 92 "newbie" for taking the time to photograph each step of the disassembly process! That refinished bolt looks great, BTW. Tt.

87hurricane wrote:Thanks for the post, it helped me strip my new 92 down and sucessfully get it back together. Just basically cleaned everything up and knocked off a couple of the most obvious burs, and it really smoothed up the action.
I am happy they helped!

Feel free to add pictures or any techniques or tips you have. :)
"Everyone has a plan tell they get punched in the face." -Mike Tyson
Lostcoast

Post by Lostcoast »

Quinc,
How did the refinishing of the bolt work out for you? Is that action as slick as you were hoping for? Did you take any photos of the reassembly process?
Quinc
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Quinc »

It feels better than it did and looks a-lot nicer not having the rust in it. I was in a hurry to get out to the range and didn't take any pics putting her back together. My next upgrade is going to be the spring kit from brownells. I will try and take some pictures when I install the springs.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/re ... -5918.aspx
Quinc
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Quinc »

some pictures of the bolt installed. It is a lighter blackish/blue color so it gives it a bit of a two tone.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Looks very nice to me!
Michael
Maj Dad

Post by Maj Dad »

Quinc, what did the MicroCoat set you back? I saw that he got $50 for an AR BCG & guessed it was about that, but thought us low-budget types might appreciate a figure ;)
Thanks for a great thread, too - I will tear mine down in a couple of weeks & see how stoning works & if not too good, then I think your approach will be next.
Cheers,
George J.
Maj, USAF, ret.
Member, SCV
Life Member VFW, DAV, TSRA and MOAA
Benefactor Member, NRA
Lostcoast

Post by Lostcoast »

Stoning, or even using 600 grit wet-dry paper, can work wonders on slicking up a Rossi action, especially in combination with a change of the ejector and hammer spring. This link is also great for learning what to do: http://marauder.homestead.com/files/Rossitune.htm

I used it to guide my first attempt at slicking up my new Rossi and the action came out silky smooth. http://marauder.homestead.com/files/Rossitune.htm
Quinc
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Quinc »

Maj Dad wrote:Quinc, what did the MicroCoat set you back? I saw that he got $50 for an AR BCG & guessed it was about that, but thought us low-budget types might appreciate a figure ;)
Thanks for a great thread, too - I will tear mine down in a couple of weeks & see how stoning works & if not too good, then I think your approach will be next.
Cheers,
George J.

I got in on his December deal and it was only $25. Shoot him email he might work you out a deal if you send more than one bolt to him. Or if you have any car parts that need to be done. :D
http://www.nicindustries.com/dry_film_lubricants.php
Clinebo

Post by Clinebo »

I bought Steves DVD and ended up ordering new sights and a large loop lever for mine. It looks and functions much better now. I printed out the step by step pictures from another sites thread to help. I also had small paper plates that I would write the part name on and then tape it to the plate. That way if I got busy doing other things, when I came back everything would be in its place. I deleted the bolt safety with the plug and replaced the plastic mag follower with the metal one.