.44 special won't feed

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
kydave

.44 special won't feed

Post by kydave »

In my older model 92 it appears that the shorter .44 special rounds let the next round come back far enough to keep the carrier from rising and carrying the round which should rise from doing so.

Any ideas?
"I am Everyman and the things inside of me
are in every man; they just vary by degree.
I'm a poet, I'm a pauper, I'm a picker, I'm a king.
I am Everyman and a part of everything."
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: .44 special won't feed

Post by Archer »

Shouldn't the cartridge stop engage and prevent that sort of thing?
Isn't that how it works with the .357/.38 SP guns else they'd have the same problem?

So I think you may need to take a gander at the cartridge stop. Apparently the spring that actuates it has been known to be assembled upside down...
kydave

Post by kydave »

Thanks for that. I looked, and it seems that the cartridge stop spring is functioning, but the bottom corner of the cartridge stop still allows the rim of the "next" cartridge to push out. With the shorter special rounds, the rim of the next cartridge comes back far enough to block the carrier from rising. With the full length mag round, the round itself blocks the rim of the next cartridge from coming back far enough for that to happen.

Maybe the lower corner of the cartridge stop (which should block the rim and retain that "next"cartridge in the magazine tube) is worn or faulty? But although it (the cartridge stop) does move, it is not stopping anything.

But I think you have pointed me to the problem area.

Thanks!!
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Another Rossi needs guide adjustment. More commonly reported here on .357/.38.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
kydave

Post by kydave »

How do the guides relate to the cartridge stop not working?
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Don't ask me. I'm just repeating what I read on the internet. Isn't that what everyone does :) ?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

The guides on each side inside the receiver sometimes need the screws holding them tightened or loosened to get the gun functioning correctly. For the elevator or the cartridge stop to even work. I think it matters, but It's been a long time since I've messed with mine.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
kydave

Post by kydave »

Hmmm... Since the gun feeds the magnum rounds fine, I'm assuming (which could be a mistake - I know) that the guides are working.

The cartridge stop is definitely not doing its job, but it doesn't seem to matter with the full length mag rounds. It looks like a PITA to get at. I suppose I could measure it in place though (top to bottom) and find out what the dimensions on the new one are. It seems like the bottom corner which actually blocks the rim of the "next" round from coming back into the receiver is simply not long enough to catch the rim.

Thanks
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Curious, do the rim diameters vary between the special and the mag?

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
dlidster

Post by dlidster »

I don't want to pretend to know what might be going wrong. I don't own a .44. But I do own a .38/.357 and have experienced a similar problem with .38 special cartridges if the OAL is less that what the action is designed to handle. If you'll look very closely at these views of a Winchester 92 you'll see what can go awry. Let me try to explain. . .

When the action is open the cartridge stop is active and catches the rim of the next cartridge before it can enter the receiver from the magazine tube. The cartridge about to be chambered rests on the carrier with its rim stopped in its rearward travel by the shoulder at the rear of the carrier.

When the action is closed the cartridge stop is inactive and the next cartridge is allowed to move from the magazine tube into the receiver. However, its rearward travel is stopped by a shoulder on the lever which keeps it forward of the position it will later take when stopped by the shoulder on the carrier. In this position the end of the bullet still projects into the magazine tube which will keep the rim of the next cartridge forward of the cartridge stop which is currently disengaged (inactive.)

However, if the OAL of the cartridge is so short that the rim of the following cartridge isn't in the magazine tube forward of the cartridge stop it, too, will move rearward as the action is closed. When what is the next cartridge to be chambered is stopped by the shoulder on the carrier the following cartridge is past where the cartridge stop can control it. This creates a mess.

Because I handload all my ammunition I have a simple solution. I load .38s so they have a COAL that approaches that of a .357 magnum. (I''ve found my R92 to be happy with loads with a COAL from 1.45" to 1.60".) I weren't a handloader I'd be forced to buy the longest (overall) .38s I could find ad test till I determined what worked.

I can't help but believe this same principle applies to .44 Special/.44 Magnum R92s.

BTW, the newer Winchester Model 92 made by Miroku in 44 Magnum has stamped on the barrel "44 Magnum ONLY." ("ONLY" is stamped in all caps.) It wouldn't surprise me if they didn't want to have their CS dealing with a question like that that has arisen here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by dlidster on 25 Nov 2016 16:18, edited 1 time in total.