Got an idea for a butt cover

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Got an idea for a butt cover

Post by akuser47 »

:lol: That might make a long gun illegally long LOL :lol: I do understand the need post pics of your process and finished project if you follow through with this it will be good for the forum I think. The problem would be finding a material that is forgiving yet can stay the course. I have had several limbsaver recoil pads but they degreade with time as they are a rubber compound the breaks down if they could come up with a compund that will not break down then this would be good.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
MT Gianni

Post by MT Gianni »

If I were looking for materiel on the cheap for a recoil pad I would look @ walmart for flip flops.
Airwolf

Post by Airwolf »

Why don't you sew a pad into your shirt? Then you can use it for competition with an unmodified stock.

Jeff
Jeff
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Airwolf wrote:Why don't you sew a pad into your shirt? Then you can use it for competition with an unmodified stock.

Jeff
Not exactly a novel idea.
I've heard them referred to as "sissy pads". :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Ah found the material we are using http://www.kickeezproducts.com/sorbothane.php
Joe
FourFingersofDeath

Post by FourFingersofDeath »

The space program stuff was called sorbathane I think and it is used (or is similar to) the Limbsaver type recoil pads. Personally,I'd get a spare butt from Boyd's or similar, fit a Limbsaver then make/buy a lace up leather cover for it. It would look good, pull up the recoil, pass muster at SASS shoots and stop your nice crescent shaped butt getting knocked around.

I personally like the crescent shaped stock as it gets located right into your shoulder and makes for consistent shooting, but then again, I'm only shooting 44/40s out of it.

The Limbsavers are magic, I have a Remington 700 Dangerous Game with the R3 recoil pad (made by Limbsaver). It pulls the 375H&H up completely. Doesn't hurt a bit. It jumps all over the place and will give you a whack though if you don't hold on properly,lol
dpe.ahoy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by dpe.ahoy »

Anyone ever use carpet padding under a buttcover? DP
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

FourFingersofDeath wrote:The space program stuff was called sorbathane I think and it is used (or is similar to) the Limbsaver type recoil pads. Personally,I'd get a spare butt from Boyd's or similar, fit a Limbsaver then make/buy a lace up leather cover for it. It would look good, pull up the recoil, pass muster at SASS shoots and stop your nice crescent shaped butt getting knocked around.

I personally like the crescent shaped stock as it gets located right into your shoulder and makes for consistent shooting, but then again, I'm only shooting 44/40s out of it.

The Limbsavers are magic, I have a Remington 700 Dangerous Game with the R3 recoil pad (made by Limbsaver). It pulls the 375H&H up completely. Doesn't hurt a bit. It jumps all over the place and will give you a whack though if you don't hold on properly,lol
The guy got the stuff cheaper in sheets than the limb saver that would need to then be shaped. He is retaining the crescent shaped stock and it is a lace up design with even some border edge design very similar to my holster for my 45 Colt SAA guns. It will pass muster in NCOWS also where I shoot so it should work out great. I have no ability or time to learn to make it myself but have a friend making it which should be done pretty soon, possibly it is already.
Joe