Marbles Front Sight Selection

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Marbles Front Sight Selection

Post by Ranch Dog »

R92_Front_Sights.jpg
I suggest Buffalo Arms as a source for these sights. Enter the Part Number in their search box.

[hr][/hr]
Sight Width

As noted in the chart above the .340 sight width fit the width of the Rossi dovetail. The other sight width is .531" which will overhang the width of the Rossi Dovetail.
Marbles_340.jpg
Marbles_531.jpg
[hr][/hr]
Fitting Marbles sight to pre-Braztech dovetail

The pre-Braztech dovetails appear to maintain the same 60° slots, the cut depth is just slightly deeper. I wanted to put a new Marbles front sight on an Rossi/Interarms 62 to complement a Skinner Peep sight. I masked a "band" across the width of the slot and applied a bead of JB Weld. After drying the required time, it can be filed if needed. The sight slid in dovetail with the appropriate pressure and makes a great addition to an accurate classic rifle!
R62 Front Sight Dovetail.jpg
R62 Marbles Front Sight.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
Xshot

Re: Marbles Front Sight Selection

Post by Xshot »

I thought my experience with Marbles sights might be helpful to others.

I replaced my Rossi 92 (.357 mag) sights with he Bullseye Ghost ring and their fiber optic front post. The rear sight is the long version (2.5 inches) and the front fiber optic (green) is .530 inches. Best I can tell, I'm shooting the Hornady 140 grain Leverevolution 2 inches high at 50 yards. The Bullseye Ghost ring is set on the 2nd elevation notch on the ramp. The fiber optic front sight is a 3/32" bead and functional for hunting, but don't expect precision target shooting from it. I'm able to put 5 shots into a 4 inch square at 50 yards, hand held, from a seated position using my knee as a rest for my elbow. IMHO - good for a heart lung shot out to 100 yards.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Added more Front Sight stuff in opening post:
  • Sight Width: .340" vs. .531 (the two options)
  • Installing a Marbles Front Sight in a pre-Braztech dovetail (more adventures with JB Weld Crazy Glue) :shock:
Michael
Barry in IN
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Barry in IN »

I haven't been here in a while and just saw this. That chart is a very handy and useful resource to have, thanks!
rfroy

Post by rfroy »

Great write up. Like the photos.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:Added more Front Sight stuff in opening post:
  • Sight Width: .340" vs. .531 (the two options)
  • Installing a Marbles Front Sight in a pre-Braztech dovetail (more adventures with JB Weld Crazy Glue) :shock:
No kidding.........believe it or not Ripley !

Apparently the JB Weld & Crazy Glue attachments are competent enough to hold together on parts that aren't under the direct pressure or load of firing and are standing the long term test of time & recoil in RDs guns.
Obviously hot temperatures don't effect the welded/glued parts.........Texas weather can be quite hot.
My only concern in regards to the hunting/survival theaters I play/work in is the effect of very cold temperatures where some glues & epoxies will harden & crystallize and then crack under recoil.
I'm not saying the joined parts wouldn't hold up in sub zero weather I'm just saying that to my knowledge there is not enough field experience to indicate one way or the other.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:I'm not saying the joined parts wouldn't hold up in sub zero weather I'm just saying that to my knowledge there is not enough field experience to indicate one way or the other.
Only one way to find out.
Michael
44-40 Willy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 44-40 Willy »

I used JB Weld inside a deep freeze once. As far as I know it's still holding.
Navy Arms 1892 - 357 Mag - 24" Octagon heavy barrel.
Rossi 62 Octagon 22LR
dpe.ahoy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by dpe.ahoy »

Ranch Dog wrote:
pricedo wrote:I'm not saying the joined parts wouldn't hold up in sub zero weather I'm just saying that to my knowledge there is not enough field experience to indicate one way or the other.
Only one way to find out.
Michael, you can send that 480 up here to Montana for the winter. I'll be happy to test the JB weld for ya. Just for testing purposes, of course! :D DP
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I'll ask it if it wants to go. It might not want to get that cold! That's a good thought, "I don't want to go where JB don't want to hold!"

I want to make sure it was understood that I did not epoxy the front sight in place. I used the JB Weld to reduce the depth of the dovetail slot. After it cured, I filed the surface of the JB flat and the 3/8 fit like it was supposed to. The sight can be drifted as needed. It is a great cure for a chronic problem with pre-Braztech dovetail slots.

Posted via Tapatalk while hunting!
Michael