FINAL UPDATE: yet another idea for a rear sight

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
btoran

FINAL UPDATE: yet another idea for a rear sight

Post by btoran »

i was thinking a bit about how to have a scope mounted AND permanently mounted iron sights AND a working rear safety (i know, the horror!). some have experimented with the xs sight that hangs behind the rail, but i was thinking along a different route so i don't have to use sky-high rings to clear the scope rail. i know steve makes a peep hole safety replacement but a) you then can't use the safety and b) i prefer a ghost ring to a peep sight. there are some sights that could be mounted on top of the receiver, but i don't want to drill and tap it.

so, here's what i'm thinking and i'm wondering if anyone has traveled this path (at least mentally) and if not if they can offer some feedback.....why not just cut up a marbles sight ghost ring sight and mount just the ring part directly on TOP of the current safety.

being able to adjust for elevation is something that needs to be overcome, but the safety could then be used simply by twisting the ghost ring itself. when in the "safe" position, you would not be able to see through the ghost ring.

here are some pictures of the marbles sight and what i had in mind.

the sight itself:

in this picture it looks like the ghost ring might block the view of the front scope, but it doesn't.

in this picture you can see also see Plan B, which i will test this weekend. i used some florescent paint on the back of the scope rail so it MIGHT be used as a rear sight. there's no way to control elevation, but it might work with the correct front sight and if it does, it's the most elegant solution of all.

thoughts and comments welcome.
Last edited by btoran on 04 Feb 2016 17:34, edited 3 times in total.
Bruce

Rossi R92 16" SS .357
Lee Classic Turret Press

Don't eat anything bigger than your head!
se3388

Re: yet another idea for a rear sight

Post by se3388 »

Might be more in line with the factory front sight if you mounted the ring directly to the top of the safety like you said.

Steve.........
NRA Benefactor Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life member
USAF Veteran
btoran

Post by btoran »

yup. just taped it up there to see approx how tall it would be.
Bruce

Rossi R92 16" SS .357
Lee Classic Turret Press

GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I get it.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Psegnatelli

Post by Psegnatelli »

Why not just use a tang sight?
btoran

Post by btoran »

i prefer ghost rings to peeps. also, i don't like the arrangement wit it on the handle, especially since most of the time i will be shooting with the scope.
Bruce

Rossi R92 16" SS .357
Lee Classic Turret Press

Psegnatelli

Post by Psegnatelli »

OK.

I don't wrap my thumb around so the grip never bothered me.

Good luck with the project. I love projects.

I've got two in my head. New rear sight for my little badger and a kydex light mount for the 92
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I've got a couple tang sights and they don't bother me WRT my grip on the wrist of the gun even wrapping my thumb around.
btoran

Post by btoran »

update: i went to the range today and after a bit of testing, came to a few conclusions. i absolutely love my new sight (more about that later), and don't see myself switching back and forth between it and iron sights much. however, if i want to play around with the iron sights, Plan B worked out just fine and my rear iron sight solution is about as elegant, inexpensive, and best of all, unobtrusive, as you can get. because of this, i won't be pursuing the idea that started this thread.

so, here's the details on my new sight and rear iron setup....

my new scope is the nc star pistelero 2.75x30 scope. i had previously bought a bsa 2x20 pistol scope, but it just wasn't working well with my eyes. i kept getting severe vignetting (regardless of the adjustment ring) and the glass wasn't that bright. that was my experience but it may work well for others. i had read good things about the nc star scope and decided at $35 it was a cheap test if i didn't like it, and i'm glad i gave it a try. it just works really well for my eyes. a big, bright, clear picture is just right there when i bring the rifle up. it took about a dozen rounds to get it nicely zeroed at the 50 yard indoor range. at the very end of the session i decided to see how quickly i could unload the entire magazine (9 rounds) and proceeded to blow the center out of the target and cardboard backing. i had help, though as my cousin and friend, both experienced shooters, peppered it pretty good first.

the scope is held on with low qd warne rings, which makes taking the scope on and off (without losing zero) very quick and easy.

my rear sight is... drum roll, please..... the original rossi rail with the back end highlighted with florescent paint. the front site is a f/o sight from steve's gunz and aligning it with the very top of the rail's "wings" was right on target. there is obviously no windage adjustment on the rail, so i drifted the front sight until it was in alignment. i know others have reported issues with this rail in higher caliber rifles, but for the mild 357 loads i'm shooting, i don't think i'll run into problems. to be on the safe side, i'm going to get some slightly longer screws to ensure they are seated well into the threads on top of the barrel and i'll locktite them in place.

i also tried a red dot while i was at the range, but found it only slightly better than the iron sights because i really need some magnification.

i realize it didn't happen without pictures, so here they are and i'm happy to say, for the time being, my rifle is done (well, almost).

rifle with nc star 2.75x30 pistelro scope mounted.

rifle with iron sights. not nearly as elegant as a nice rear sight and no rail, but removing the rail and putting the rear ghost ring in is a bit of a pain. with a system like the xs sights, i would have to leave the rail on as well.

sight picture with scope on. the reticle looks off to one side, but it was operator error on the part of the photographer.

sight picture with iron sights. obviously not as previse as a peep site or ghost ring, but for backup purposes, it should do fine. the only change i think i'll make is to change the paint. it looks like it's lit up pretty good here, but in dim lighting (like at the range) it is pretty dim. advantage tactical makes an interesting set of sights in a pyramid configuration and while i won't be using them on this gun, they sell a set of multicolored glowie inserts for the rear sight for less than $7.50 and they look like they could easily be cut up and epoxied to rear of the rail in place of the paint.
Bruce

Rossi R92 16" SS .357
Lee Classic Turret Press

Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: UPDATED: yet another idea for a rear sight

Post by Ranch Dog »

That is an excellent idea Bruce. I should have thought of that as the Redfield Jr. IER mount for my Remington 600 has a similar setup.

If you look carefully you will see the gold bead of the front sight sitting against the deer's neck and that bead is resting in a "notched" rear sight and the forward end of the scope base.

This base has a notched "plate" sight on the front of the base that is adjustable with a set screw. It cannot be mounted on the backside of the mount because it is contoured around the recoil lug.

I think it would be very easy to drill and tap the aft end of the NOE base for a similar sight. With the sight in hand the base could be machined to fit the width and depth of the sight blade to help support it. A file would take care of that. Got to start looking!
Michael