NOE R92 Base, Weaver Quick Lock Rings, XS Ghost Ring Base

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

NOE R92 Base, Weaver Quick Lock Rings, XS Ghost Ring Base

Post by Ranch Dog »

My R92 chambered in 357 Mag received it's XS Sight Systems Weaver Backup GRA (Ghost Ring Aperture) and everything will fit.

I have not install anything on the rifle as I've still hunting with the rifle and don't want to go through the sight in now. The XS Sight will need be removed for the scope to be in the rings, I knew this going into but it will be just as quick off and on as the scope is.
Michael
pirkfan

Re: NOE R92 Base, Weaver Quick Lock Rings, XS Ghost Ring Bas

Post by pirkfan »

I've got just about the same setup, but the rings are Warne qd instead of Weaver. Same issue, the XS sight will hit the ocular bell of the scope. I've given some thought to just removing the ghost ring itself, rather than the whole XS sight. Because it's threaded in, you should be able to sight it in, then just unscrew the ghost ring, counting the number of revolutions, and leave the rest of the sight on the rail. Maybe put the ghost ring on a chain and wear it for bling :D. If I did that, I'd make up a bit of dowel or something to tighten the adjuster screws on the sight to in order to keep them in place. Probably a great way to lose the ghost ring, huh? For now I'm leaving the sight on the rifle and taking the scope off, just easier to store. Even with my bad eyesight, that XS sight is a beauty to use, smaller supplied ghost ring is just right and with the NOE base is a very natural hold for me, plus it maintains the general handiness of these little carbines. Need to take it out and sight in the whole package, see if the Warne QD rings really do hold zero...When we quit having ice storms.
9x80Drilling

Post by 9x80Drilling »

Following your post, I just ordered the XS system above for my .45 Colt 92. I've got a Williams peep on it now and used it successfully for a few whitetails and a Wyoming Speed Goat this past fall. I haven't installed the NOE scope base I bought for the carbine last month, as I saw pondering how to get it to work along with the Williams. The NOE is high enough that it interferes with clear peep sighting.
I intend to use the carbine mostly with the aperture sight, reserving the scope for load development and for longer shots in open country.
Let's hope these two XS sights work out for us.
btoran

Post by btoran »

I'd be interested to know what front site will work with that noe/ xs ghost ring setup.
Bruce

Rossi R92 16" SS .357
Lee Classic Turret Press

Don't eat anything bigger than your head!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Height will depend on the cartridge and load. The segmented sections that you remove are very fine.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

pirkfan wrote:I've got just about the same setup, but the rings are Warne qd instead of Weaver. Same issue, the XS sight will hit the ocular bell of the scope. I've given some thought to just removing the ghost ring itself, rather than the whole XS sight. Because it's threaded in, you should be able to sight it in, then just unscrew the ghost ring, counting the number of revolutions, and leave the rest of the sight on the rail. Maybe put the ghost ring on a chain and wear it for bling :D. If I did that, I'd make up a bit of dowel or something to tighten the adjuster screws on the sight to in order to keep them in place. Probably a great way to lose the ghost ring, huh? For now I'm leaving the sight on the rifle and taking the scope off, just easier to store. Even with my bad eyesight, that XS sight is a beauty to use, smaller supplied ghost ring is just right and with the NOE base is a very natural hold for me, plus it maintains the general handiness of these little carbines. Need to take it out and sight in the whole package, see if the Warne QD rings really do hold zero...When we quit having ice storms.
Haah, I for sure would loose the GR! I wish it unlocked & folded flat but it would probably double the cost.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Working on this today but I need to get a bunch of ammo loaded for the sight in work. Here is an overview.

The temporary front post, you can see the segments that you snip off as you sight in the rifle. It is obviously high enough.

Looking down the sight.

Michael
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Greetings
This is a good thread. Have a new caliber 357 16 inch sitting at my sons and two NOE bases.
Get it all figured out fellers. I only have 5 months to put it together and enjoy this summer.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
pirkfan

Post by pirkfan »

Took my Rossi 92 in 45 colt to the range today, NOE base and medium Warne QD rings with a Leupold 2x ER scope. Lyman 452424 (Keith SWC at around 245 grains with the alloy I use), and 8.2 grains of Unique, it's a tack driver at 25 yards (I was on the pistol range to sight it in), couldn't be happier and the cheek weld is good. However, the backup XS ghost ring is a problem. I've got a .65 inch front blade sight (skinner), and it's too short by a lot. I'm shooting at least 6 inches high at 25 yards with the ghost ring at the bottom of it's threads. I'm sure it's because of the additional height of the NOE base, my .357 model 92 has the Rossi weaver base and the same .65 skinner front blade and it's right on at 25 yards with a couple of threads on the XS sight to spare. I really don't want a 1 inch tall blade on the front, so will just learn to live with "Kentucky windage" if the scope isn't on the rifle.

It's also off to the right about 4 inches with the adjustment of the XS sight beyond flush with the left side of the sight so I'm going to tap the front sight over, then take it out to the 100 yard range and see where it hits there (if my old eyes can see the target!!). Chucking those big old slow SWCs (just a tad under 1100 fps out of the 20 inch barrel), it just might drop right in at 100 yards
btoran

Post by btoran »

pirkfan - can you post of a picture of your 357 setup? do you have a scope and the xs sight on at the same time?
Bruce

Rossi R92 16" SS .357
Lee Classic Turret Press

Don't eat anything bigger than your head!