NOE R92 Scout Picatinny Rail In Use

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

NOE R92 Scout Picatinny Rail In Use

Post by Ranch Dog »

I thought it might be a good idea to start a new topic that would focus on the experience gained with the base and scout scopes in general rather than that type of participation going to the interest & announcement topics.

There is no doubt that the forum will become a treasure chest of information on this topic and it should increase at a very rapid pace given the volume at which the NOE R92 picatinny rails are being purchased.

I would like to highlight a few differences in the mount and the why behind them. The most obvious is the height, the NOE rail is .165" higher than the Rossi base.

The primary source of the increase came from maintaining the picatinny rail spec. In that the underside of the base had to be milled to fit the barrel taper contour, Al and I discussed the additional height in depth but maintaining the spec dimensions was a major consideration. Examples where manufactured that mirrored the Rossi product and the product that you now hold in your hand.

There was an issue when it came to mounting the Rossi mirror and it centered on screw length. The shortest screw length available, in Al's opinion, did not provide enough security for the mount. Relaying my experience confirmed his suspicions as only two and a half threads are engaged in the barrel with the screw head seated in the mount.

Four out of five of my Rossi base installations have experienced stripped screws because the screws are not long enough to fully seat in the barrel.

Al suggest that the next longer screws be used and mill the base only enough in ensure that the mount screws are fully engaged. He also discussed custom screws that would allow him to mill the rail to near the Rossi height but he would have to do that work in house and detailed it for me. The bottom line is that it would have significantly impacted the cost of the rail and probably made it unsellable.

The bottom line is that the NOE rail is higher than the Rossi base but Al was able to provide a picatinny spec product that is securely attached to the barrel.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: NOE R92 Scout Picatinny Rail In Use

Post by Ranch Dog »

mr surveyor wrote:Also, having never used a forward mount scout scope (and with not so stellar vision), It's gonna take some time adjusting. I see now what the value of the raised cheek piece is ;)
mr surveyor posted this in one of the announcement topics but I thought it would fit well here.

If I was starting with a new rifle, I think I would try the GOD'A GRIP LSRCP pad. This might allow the lowest ring height for the scope eye bell yet provide a comfortable cheek weld.

I have two Rossi Single Shot rifles that I have removed the raised comb that is provided for scope use and instead I've found that I can use the next lower set of rings from what Rossi suggests. Honestly, it is a lot better looking too.
Michael
retAFShooter

Post by retAFShooter »

Just doing a test install of my NCStar scope on the NOE base. Wondering if this is too close to the ejection port? To get it farther away I would have to use the heavyer extension rings. What do you guys think?
Check out my YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/RetAFShooter
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

retAFShooter wrote:Just doing a test install of my NCStar scope on the NOE base. Wondering if this is too close to the ejection port? To get it farther away I would have to use the heavyer extension rings. What do you guys think?
If you have any empty cases it is easy to test it out.
Michael
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

Ranch, with the slightly taller mount, are the medium rings still recommended or is there application here for the low rings to compensate for the difference in height?
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
johnfrommd

Post by johnfrommd »

pinned for info.

John
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

Ok, sorry, I think you were answering that in the first post here connected with the cheek pad.
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

NavyDoc76-80 wrote:Ranch, with the slightly taller mount, are the medium rings still recommended or is there application here for the low rings to compensate for the difference in height?
There are two considerations for ring height; what is required for eye alignment through the scope tube and what is required for either of the scope's bell to clear. The latter is usually the first consideration and the one that dictates the minimum height. Typically, on a scout installations, it is the eye bell that dictates what height is required. It the distance between the upper surface of the mount to the lower radius of the bell. The thickness of the base would not matter.

I've placed some lines on retAFShooter image to illustrate the consideration that establishes the minimum scope ring height.
scout_eye_bell_clearance.jpg
In the case of the above example, it might also be the adjustment ring of a variable scope.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

Gteat explanation. The eye bell then is root of your consideration to ring height. Simple enough, thanks.
Dave M
--//--
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

NavyDoc76-80 wrote:Gteat explanation. The eye bell then is root of your consideration to ring height. Simple enough, thanks.
It is the one consideration that is not flexible. If not an issue, then eye alignment is the deal.
Michael