357 Mag on the road to redemption as a hog rifle!

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

357 Mag on the road to redemption as a hog rifle!

Post by Ranch Dog »

Two days ago, I decided to proceed with my heavy bullet project for my 357 Mag Scout. That is using my 190-grain 35 Rem bullet, the TLC359-190-RF, trying to up the terminal performance on hogs. In a nutshell, I want to at least knock them off their feet so if they are still gon'na run, they have to expend some of their limited energy getting back on their feet.

To make this long round flat nosed bullet work, I have to use 38 Spl brass. With that brass I get a very good match on on the first Micro Band lube groove and can use it as a crimp groove.

As luck would have it, I didn't get to work on the project on day one beyond the planning stage as our microwave oven caught on fire, nothing a ranch dog can't handle, but it redirected me to house duties for the day.

Yesterday, I started again but was running short on the day so I just went straight to the max load of Lil'Gun that QuickLoad suggested, 15.0-grains, loaded three and went up to the range. I shot the 3 rounds at 25 yards and was less than impressed. I expect the bullets to touch at that distance and they looked more like a 100-yard target that I would work find acceptable. I sat there looking downrange at the target and thought "these bullets need to be pushed harder to tighten them up with the 1:30 rate of twist".

I walked back down the hill to my room and loaded twelve cartridges with 15.5-grains despite the QuickLoad recommendations. I went back up the hill, didn't bother to set a target at 25-yards again, going out to 50-yards, shot three and said "Wow!" They were darn near touching. I shot three at 100 yards and was extremely happy!

You have to love that long flat 190-grain nose! This bullet is being used with 38 Spl brass loaded to 357 Mag pressures.

Something about this cartridge's looks that tells me it will make the 357 Mag a hog knocker!

The bullet's first Micro-Band lube groove is a perfect match for a 1.600" OAL. The length and long tapered nose of the TLC359-190-RF makes it feed like it has been greased!

Three shots at 100-yards, good enough for me! I made a final scope correction of 2 clicks up and right and didn't bother to shoot it again. The next step is to chronograph it. Quickload says the 15.5-grains of Lil'Gun is going to generate 1770 FPS.[hr]
It was a few minutes before dark and I hadn't left the ranch so my dog and I walked up to the highway which is about 350 yard away. We didn't get there as this is what we found about 100 yards from my house.

It seems that the previous night the hogs had their way with portions of my quail habitat project. Well, in my next topic I will tell you what I did about it!
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 357 Mag on the road to redemption as a hog rifle!

Post by Ranch Dog »

The terminal side of the load development is found here: Testing the R92 357 Mag & 190-Grain Bullet
Michael
canon6

Post by canon6 »

Outstanding bullet performance and rifle work.Doug
A armed man is his own master.
Jaybm
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Jaybm »

WOW, I can see why you want to eliminate those hogs !

Appears you're ready to lock and load. Expect to see
some results soon if not too gory.

Jim
Gun Control Means Hitting The Target +guns
Maximumbob54
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Do you think there is any comparison to this bullet and Lee's new clone of the RCBS 200gr RNFP?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Maximumbob54 wrote:Do you think there is any comparison to this bullet and Lee's new clone of the RCBS 200gr RNFP?
It would be hard to tell without having their drawing but I would say "no" for these two reasons:
  1. The nose is too long for use with 357 Mag brass vs that cartridge's OAL limits and that of the R92 action.
  2. In that there is a single large standard lube band, there is not a band to match for crimping the bullet when using 38 Spl brass. While in the tube, I'm pretty sure this heavy bullet would pound itself up against the powder charge compressing the heck out of it (200-grains of bullet vs. 15 or so grains of powder).
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I hope to get a chance to chronograph this load today. First chore on the list is installing a new over-stove microwave and I seem to never make simple easy.

Looking out from where I'm typing this, thus shot across the bow of this sounder of hogs did good. No additional damage out there that I can see. What I've come to learn given a specific sounder of hogs is that if you kill one they will not be back for 3 weeks. If you only shoot at them they will be gone for 10 days. Another group might wander in but that is what I've observed about specific hogs at the scene of the crime.

Across the highway is an 1800 acre ranch but they do have lease hunters who will probably start pounding this sounder in two weeks. A lot of hogs in Texas are killed in the opening salvo of deer season.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Maximumbob54 wrote:Do you think there is any comparison to this bullet and Lee's new clone of the RCBS 200gr RNFP?
Al Nelson of NOE has just started a campain to bring all my designs to inventory and his decision as to what to cut next is being based on demand. Here is a link to my TLC359-190-RF design.
Michael
Maximumbob54
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Ranch Dog wrote:
Al Nelson of NOE has just started a campain to bring all my designs to inventory and his decision as to what to cut next is being based on demand. Here is a link to my TLC359-190-RF design.
Just added my name to this one and the 175gr.

Is it that the 190gr needs a .38 case but the 175gr fits a .357 case?
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

RD, like the results you get with the bullet, did you ever design and equivalent for the 45 Colt?

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image